Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:24 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times

Advertisements

Buyer's title company keeps causing delays in closing for things that are non issues or could/should have been dealt with much earlier. We schedule a new date, then at the last minute they have some issue that turns out to be unnecessary but causes these delays. They keep fighting with my attorney for nothing, running up my bill. They had well over a month and no issues until now. I have been promised we are good to go and then it gets halted again. The buyer is in no hurry but as a seller this is costing me a great deal in money, time and stress. I had already extended the closing before for the convenience of the buyer. Now am being pressured to agree to set a very close date again, before the latest non-issues are resolved, without knowing closing costs or having time to deal with utilities, etc.

My attorney and broker are just going along with this to accommodate the buyer so they can get paid. It seems like it is just running up a big bill for me, no one is concerned and I feel like I am being scammed. The buyers got a great deal on the property as they are cash buyers and this was to be completed quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Without knowing what these "non issues" are, no one can really offer you advice or comment. While you might think they are non issues, a title company must make sure all issues are cleared up prior to issuing title insurance.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
^^^Yup. What have you been told and be specific. Also, you might ask your attorney if you must go thru with the deal or not, or if you can demand compensation for the delays, assuming they are not your fault.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,942 times
The Title Company doesn't get paid until the property closes, so I doubt they are holding it up for "non-issues". If there is even a chance that the title cannot convey or buyer is not ready then they cannot close it. Find out what the "non-issues" are and help resolve it if you can.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
I have no idea what "non issues" you're alluding to, but if the title is clean it shouldn't take much time for a title company to get ready for a closing. Your "non issues" may be more important than you think. Who knows? Regardless, you should at least be given a good estimate of what the closing costs will be. Those are usually pretty easy to calculate.

Perhaps your attorney and agent are dealing with a difficult purchaser and they are truly trying to help you to complete your sale in a timely fashion. Try to view it from their perspective, if you can. Patience can be a virtue, but just keep on top of the situation. Hopefully your closing will be soon.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
I have seen sometimes where we're saying, what? they didn't do that already?. Is Mickey Mouse running this company? etc.

Sometimes it's a delay tactic because the funds are not yet there. Or because there is some breakdown in their system and they forgot to sent someone or something out.

Yes, say what it is they are requesting from you?

And maybe what state you're in....aside from panic.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:17 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
The title company is not a party to the contract. The only reason they would not close the file is if clear title hasn't been achieved yet. Otherwise, the delay would be because of either buyer or seller hold ups, usually buyer hold ups because the seller has done everything they need in order to help get the clear title.

I think you need to be pointing fingers at the buyer's lender and see if they even have instructions to the title company yet. If there are no instructions, then there are no docs, and it's a buyer hold up, not title company holding things up.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:01 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I have seen sometimes where we're saying, what? they didn't do that already?. Is Mickey Mouse running this company? etc.

Sometimes it's a delay tactic because the funds are not yet there. Or because there is some breakdown in their system and they forgot to sent someone or something out.
I can't give details due to privacy issues, but not looking for confirmation that they are Mickey mousing, because all parties know they are. They didn't even bother requesting basic docs until the last week before closing. The "non-issues" they insisted on pursuing have been shot down by my attorney and they have conceded they were over reaching and that the things they demanded were not necessary for clear title. Yet it continues. They are fighting losing battles and costing me money. The buyer knows they are delaying this, I should not have to bear the expenses. The title is clean right now, and has been, both attorneys know it.

I don't see any sympathy for sellers here though. However, if this over reaching closing-delaying Mickey Mouse kills the deal it is more of a loss for the broker who will lose the listing, as she is not working with me on this.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I can't give details due to privacy issues, but not looking for confirmation that they are Mickey mousing, because all parties know they are. They didn't even bother requesting basic docs until the last week before closing. The "non-issues" they insisted on pursuing have been shot down by my attorney and they have conceded they were over reaching and that the things they demanded were not necessary for clear title. Yet it continues. They are fighting losing battles and costing me money. The buyer knows they are delaying this, I should not have to bear the expenses. The title is clean right now, and has been, both attorneys know it.

I don't see any sympathy for sellers here though. However, if this over reaching closing-delaying Mickey Mouse kills the deal it is more of a loss for the broker who will lose the listing, as she is not working with me on this.

Tell her what she is going to lose if the closing does not happen within a specified amount of time.
When you tell her without doubt that her bank account is going to be affected I bet she will start working with you.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:13 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,662,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

You can give general idea of whats wrong without worrying about privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate