Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,844,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierk View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

For preowned homes in hot market where you may need to look at houses as soon as they come on market, availability of agent during work week might also be important.

Like you guys have suggested it is better to start somewhere talk to the agents and see if he has the time and knowledge to find a home for you.
Exactly! What about an agency that has associates who share clients? What I mean is that often people work with partners. Still, if only experienced people sold stuff, nobody would ever get the experience, if you know what I mean! In fact, someone who is hungry and needs the business might spend more time with you.

IMHO the most important thing is to feel comfortable with someone and believe you're getting the best service. In today's world, we have the internet and should use it to our advantage. You can go to a county's website and check out a property, but you just can't go into it.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-10-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:30 PM

218 posts, read 335,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The title of your thread: "Agent who knows the area or Agent who my friend loves?" almost suggested a romantic entanglement, in which case, I was thinking, it's important to conduct business on a 'business' basis.

Having read the thread, I now see that you are using 'love' in the casual sense that the world often uses it. Nevertheless, the advice is pretty much the same. If this Realtor is the best one available to you for the job at hand, then, by all means, take your friend's suggestion. If not, don't confuse friendship with business -- find a Realtor that is best for you.
I should have just said recommends - lol.
I will take his referral but as others have suggested I will ask him if he knows the area and has sold other homes in the area.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 PM

10,907 posts, read 21,868,550 times
Go with the agent that knows, not the agent you know.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM

62 posts, read 64,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Go with the agent that knows, not the agent you know.
I definitely agree.

Asking what their target area is can also be tricky though. Choose where they know over where they're willing to go, whenever possible.

Ultimately, one's best shot of finding an agent who truly knows all the pros and cons of the area you are interested in, is one that is very close to where they themselves live.
Second to that would be close to where their office is.

I also agree with researching where most of the agent's sales have been.
Then one must also factor in how many of those sales are within to the same price range as is the one you are also looking in.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:27 PM

62 posts, read 64,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
...Still, if only experienced people sold stuff, nobody would ever get the experience, if you know what I mean! In fact, someone who is hungry and needs the business might spend more time with you.
I've always felt that way in the retail world and I'm all for a trainee learning the cash register, or how to write up a refund while there is a long line waiting to be next, even while I may be in a hurry to be somewhere else.

I, and I'm sure many others have thought the same regarding the Real Estate world as far as showing properties and being perhaps more readily available etc. goes.
The potential trade-off to that may be that they may not have the same negotiating skills as a more seasoned pro would.
I could handle that for smaller ticket items, but on the purchase of a hou$e, I may not feel as comfortable learning what does or doesn't work on my dime.

...just my two cents...

Last edited by 365247; 03-11-2015 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Re-wording

Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM

8,540 posts, read 12,287,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The title of your thread: "Agent who knows the area or Agent who my friend loves?" almost suggested a romantic entanglement, in which case, I was thinking, it's important to conduct business on a 'business' basis.
Yes, that would have made for a more interesting thread.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 PM

10,907 posts, read 21,868,550 times
Quote:
Still, if only experienced people sold stuff, nobody would ever get the experience, if you know what I mean! In fact, someone who is hungry and needs the business might spend more time with you.
True, but do you want someone to spend time with you or help you get the right house and protect your money and rights? Do you want someone who is desperate for a check to pay the bills or someone who makes enough money they aren't sweating their next meal.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365247 View Post
The potential trade-off to that may be that they may not have the same negotiating skills as a more seasoned pro would.
Sorry, but I need to ask. What negotiating? I have NEVER had a real estate agent negotiate anything for me. In fact, I've asked the question "Is this home priced fairly?" and the only answer is "It's worth whatever you think it's worth." Honestly, I am not trying to start an argument, but I finally need to ask why people keep bringing up these hypothetical negotiations.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
True, but do you want someone to spend time with you or help you get the right house and protect your money and rights? Do you want someone who is desperate for a check to pay the bills or someone who makes enough money they aren't sweating their next meal.
There's a difference between being "desperate for a check" (which implies the salesperson is unethical) and being new in the field. Since a real estate salesperson cannot sell on his own, shouldn't his broker be examining all offers and contracts anyway?

Again, it sounds as if I'm trying to start an argument and I'm not. But are you admitting you sold homes when you were clueless because you were new in the field? Also, having years of experience doesn't automatically mean someone is effective. Congress is a good example.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,687,279 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I need to ask. What negotiating? I have NEVER had a real estate agent negotiate anything for me. In fact, I've asked the question "Is this home priced fairly?" and the only answer is "It's worth whatever you think it's worth." Honestly, I am not trying to start an argument, but I finally need to ask why people keep bringing up these hypothetical negotiations.
JustNancy - I think you need a new agent. My agent sat down with me and the comps and outlined a negotiation strategy. He provided me with his insight into the market, what he felt the home was worth, what he felt the home would apprise for and what contingencies to include in the offer. We also postulated on various counter offer scenarios. In my opinion he definitely earned his commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate