Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 AM

27 posts, read 31,039 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I was told our home inspection would be $675. That seems high to me. Anyone have a good home inspection done recently that charged less? I would love any contact names you could share.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm715 View Post
Hi-

I was told our home inspection would be $675. That seems high to me. Anyone have a good home inspection done recently that charged less? I would love any contact names you could share.

Thank you!
Size and location of house?
Does it have an in ground pool, a well or some other 'extra' that needs an inspection?
Is it new construction that requires more than one visit from the inspector?
Where did you find the inspector?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 AM

634 posts, read 913,596 times
I recently used Advantage Inspection on a new construction - $400. Their contact information is:
4020 Wake Forest Rd Ste 111 Raleigh, NC 27609 Office: 919-850-2526 Home Inspector Raleigh NC | Advantage Inspection

Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Try Precision Home Inspections. Gavin has been doing this a long time and is very good at it.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM

715 posts, read 889,505 times
Does that include radon,mold or just inspection-what's the sq. footage

Old 03-06-2015, 12:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Depends on the size of the home & other factors..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm715 View Post
Hi-

Thank you!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:15 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
That is what we would charge for about 5-6000 sq ft, and frankly, we have very few peers in regards to experience. Does this include radon testing or other ancillary services, or is the house large/older?

Last edited by sacredgrooves; 03-06-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
I can't speak to the price being good or bad but would tell you that most inspectors charge based on size, age, location and any additional services required (extra buildings, water tests, radon, etc). Older houses will typically cost more than their newer counterparts-sometimes significantly more and for good reason-they require a lot more work! Most "good" inspectors aren't charging bargain basement prices-and they shouldn't! You are paying for their knowlege and experience. Do you really want the guy who thinks so little of his abilities that he is willing to do any house for $199 when the going price set by market forces is $400? On the other end, I must admit I've never understood why some people purchasing a $600,000 house would be so concerned about a $25 or even $50 difference in the price for a service! Quite frankly, If you want a Lexus you purchase a Lexus not a Yugo! You WILL NOT get a Lexus for the price of a Yugo! The same holds true for inspectors (and most other things)!!
My advice would be to hire the best inspector that you possibly can and don't worry so much about the cost, afterall it is a really big investment. If you want a recomendation, feel free to send me a PM and I'd be happy to assist.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:15 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I can't speak to the price being good or bad but would tell you that most inspectors charge based on size, age, location and any additional services required (extra buildings, water tests, radon, etc). Older houses will typically cost more than their newer counterparts-sometimes significantly more and for good reason-they require a lot more work! Most "good" inspectors aren't charging bargain basement prices-and they shouldn't! You are paying for their knowlege and experience. Do you really want the guy who thinks so little of his abilities that he is willing to do any house for $199 when the going price set by market forces is $400? On the other end, I must admit I've never understood why some people purchasing a $600,000 house would be so concerned about a $25 or even $50 difference in the price for a service! Quite frankly, If you want a Lexus you purchase a Lexus not a Yugo! You WILL NOT get a Lexus for the price of a Yugo! The same holds true for inspectors (and most other things)!!
My advice would be to hire the best inspector that you possibly can and don't worry so much about the cost, afterall it is a really big investment. If you want a recomendation, feel free to send me a PM and I'd be happy to assist.
Great post. My gf is a home inspector. She is not the cheapest in town and readily admits that she isn't. However, she only does one inspection per day, whereas many of her less expensive competitors do two or even three inspections each day. She reasons that her clients hire her to inspect their potential new home for the entire day, not just a couple of hours. Also, she is legally allowed to take up to three days to send out the inspection report but she sends it out on the same day so the buyer can discuss the results with the RE agent and make decisions as soon as possible.

There are many variables that go into the cost of an inspection: age, size, extra buildings and fixtures, being a foreclosure or short sale, having a crawl space, etc. . . As others have mentioned, there are also other inspections that can be done: mold, wood destroying insect, radon, septic, and others. But typically these are done by other inspectors. I also don't understand why people nitpick about the price of an inpection. Consider this. You are buying a home; the largest investment you will ever make. Even a lower end $150K home is worth paying $675 for a thorough inspection. Going cheap on an inspection is a very bad decision. After all, you want to know everything about your home before you buy, or find out that you don't want to purchase the home via a quality inspection, do you not?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:59 PM

304 posts, read 370,049 times
There are a number of reasons why people don't want to pay premium prices for an inspector:

1. The inspector never catches "everything". In fact, they have a tendency to downplay things that they don't understand or that they fear will rock the boat too much. They also have a reputation for telling the buyer what they want to hear.
2. No real accountability for the inspection, it's a formality of marginal usefulness. True, it's nuts to forego it entirely, but because the inspector is never held to task for missing something, there is a limit on how much value the service actually provides.
3. There is a chance that, if the inspector is good, the deal for the house may fall through. If they are good, and find some deal-killing flaw of the home, it's very likely that the homeowner will need to hire them again. Most people who are faced with not only a due diligence fee and hundreds of dollars in home, pest and radon inspection costs just for the opportunity to go under contract (not knowing how the whole thing will pan out) find that spending all this money to have nothing in the end gets tiresome after a while, especially if they have to spend money for these things more than once before getting into a home.

But yes I absolutely agree the price of the inspection should be dependent on the size/age/condition of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate