Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,879 times

Advertisements

i think before you go to any meetings or join any clubs you should read a few books. just go pick up a couple books. can probably check out a book or 2 at your local library. this will familiarize you with the terms. i would suggest getting one for residential and one for commercial. i would also suggest one of those millionaire next door series books last. so you can learn more about pre-tax dollars and income.

what you need to figure out is what your goal is and what your comfortable with.

are you looking for a tax shelter? a small one?
residential rental? residential with no rent? duplex? 4-plex? investment property? vacation rental? 2nd home?

or a big tax shelter?
commercial rented? unrented? retail? office? multi-unit? mixed use? industrial? warehouse?

you really need to read a few books to familiarize yourself with all the options.

one tip i can offer regarding residential properties, most people buy what they can afford. instead you should buy something that you can make double payments on.

why? the payments are lower should you need to only make 1, but if you do make the double payments it only takes 5 years to pay off a 30 mortgage.

as far as trump university, it is extremely expensive to attend those courses. i would suggest you put that on hold until you know its the right now. those courses are really meant for people with some sort of experience to begin with.

you should also be able to find local courses for much cheaper, try a local real estate school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 PM

45 posts, read 166,252 times
Nouveau Riche University is more than just a fix and flip seminar. They do offer a lot of information you don't even know exists. Now, the truth is that all this information is available elsewhere, but unless you know about it you'll probably never come across it.
Is it worth it?
It depends... real estate investing is not something you do to become a millionaire if you have no prior business experience, which is the case for most people who join. You need to either have money or know where to find money to invest and although Nouveau Riche teaches you many ways to do this, it still falls back on you to take action. Some strategies are more favorable to people who have contacts or prior business experience, but if you don't at least you'll be prepared to take action when you do get there.

My recommendation... don't jump in just because it sound good. Have a plan and know that you could do all of this without Nouveau Riche, but will you?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
These Seminars and other "schools" make their owners more money than if they hired people and made them invest according to their principles. Think about it, if there is a guaranteed system then why don't these real estate mogus just hire people directly and make money. The truth is a lot of these seminars are scams and will often teach some things and then ask for more money to get "advanced training" or "one-on-one" with a famous investor.

My advice is get your real estate license first. Getting a license will automatically force you to learn basics about the real estate industry provided of course you have money and some time. A lot of these investors are real estate agents or former agents who know a lot about the industry. It's rare that you will see some person with no real estate experience become a successful real estate investor unless they have inherited some experience or business. For example, I know a doctor who invests in real estate but his parents owned hotels and he grew up in that business and thus he isn't your average guy off the street who just picked it up. I know a lawyer who grew up with family in the real estate business and he invests alongside them so be careful when someone says you can just get involved and start making money right way. Remember, Donald Trump essentially inherited a real estate empire and then grew it. He wasn't Joe Smith working at Bank of America who decided he wanted to make some money on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate