Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:28 AM

908 posts, read 964,287 times

Advertisements

i live in a hot real estate market. prices literally go up every week on homes and the inventory is super low. every open house i go to there are literally hundreds of people and multiple offers. i desperately want to live in a very specific area b/c of location/schools. last week a home went on the market, we put a bid, and found there were 5 other offers and the seller went w/ an all cash buyer. one week later another home in that neighborhood (literally across the street) comes on the market but it's 2 br, not 3 like we are looking for. they have listed it even higher than the 3 br last week (it's a bit more updated). my agent says it is overpriced. i know it is but we really want it. we want to escalate up to $30K more than asking price. are we nuts? this is a very hot area right now and most likely will continue to stay very desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,382,058 times
Why would you settle for 2 bedrooms if you are looking for 3 for a home that cost more and you are going to offer more than that?
Personally I would not settle for a home that is not what I want and I certainly would not offer more than the asking price.

Bottom line, your family, your money, your home, your choice.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 AM

it will def go for more than the asking price. it's a bit nuts here w/ a huge influx of highly paid workers and tons of cash buyers. it actually used to be a 3 br but they combined two of the rooms. so it's actually a decent size and there's also this extra crawl space/attic we are thinking of turning into a bonus room so more space. it's an absolute seller's market here and some overpriced homes go pending in 1 day.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:18 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,667,543 times
Wow, that market sounds like a dream for sellers but not so much buyers. If you are willing to offer over asking price to get the house you want, I would hold out for a 3 bedroom if that's what you want.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 AM

579 posts, read 668,075 times
deja vu - 2005

Are you willing to come up with the extra $30k+ cash, in addition to your normal down payment and closing costs? Because, if it is overpriced as your Realtor says, then you will have to add cash over and above the appraised value.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 AM

658 posts, read 726,799 times
if you can afford to add 30k more, that sounds like you have the eggs. I would definitely check the sqt of the house, and walk through the entire house to see if there's room for a third-bedroom addition. it's a 2br house, but if you have room and can turn into another br, it's not a deal killer if you really want it. If there's no room for expansion, I would sit down and take it easy. Sometimes, when you're excited and really want something, it may satisfy your wants but not really what you need.

good luck

Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM

324 posts, read 839,986 times
I think you are nuts, but then I lived in the DC/NoVa area during the previous boom, and of course everyone back then also said "this is a hot area and will stay very desirable." Well yeah, but eventually no matter how hot and how desirable, prices become unsustainable. Saw a lot of people around me lose their houses in short sale/foreclosure.

You're looking at buying a two bedroom (for an inflated price) when you wanted a three, which implies you are already close to outgrowing the house and likely won't want to stay for the long haul when/if the market tanks. That's a bad spot to be in. Slow down, take a breath, there will be other houses.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:55 AM

so this place used to be a 3 br so they combined 2 of the rooms. if we sell we could easily make it 3 again (tho one room would be tiny) but it does have a closet so technically it would be a bedroom. we do want a 3 br eventually but for now we can live in the 2. also there is an attic space we are thinking of converting to a bonus room.

I am a bit worried about a low appraisal. i'm really not sure what the appraisal might be and if we might need to bring a chunk of cash to the table at closing.

yes, there may be another 3 br coming up but again, there will be tons of competition for it.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:55 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,033,461 times
It certainly SOUNDS nuts. For all the reason pointed out by others.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
It certainly SOUNDS nuts. For all the reason pointed out by others.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate