Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 AM

442 posts, read 593,498 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure my ugly mug has cost me a prospect or three. One of the top agents in our market uses a pencil-drawn caricature of himself on his signs and cards, which I think is genius. Unfortunately, if anyone else did that now they would look like they were copying him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I don't care what an agent looks like.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post
I'm pretty sure my ugly mug has cost me a prospect or three. One of the top agents in our market uses a pencil-drawn caricature of himself on his signs and cards, which I think is genius. Unfortunately, if anyone else did that now they would look like they were copying him.
If you want to do this you can ask if he wouldn't mind. and compliment him on what a great idea it is and ask him where he came up with it, he may have seen it somewhere else and borrowed it himself.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
This seems like the kind of thing that someone would have done some research on, doesn't it?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjones View Post
I have mixed feelings on photo's on business cards. I like my photo on my card as it puts a face to the name. I'd caution you if you do put your photo on your business card don't use a 1980's glamour shot photo. It should be a representation of you now and not 10-30 years ago.
OMG, you are so right, derek. I can't believe how many people I have seen their photos of on business cards that are totally out of date. When I see them in real life, their pic looks nothing like their photo on FB, linkedin, or their business cards. They are much heavier, much older, (usually much heavier). I've even seen people who aren't the same person as the pic of the person on the business card! Now that is truly odd I think it's a good idea to have a small pic on a business card. Almost every realtor I've seen does that.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninMSP View Post

I also truly think I've lost a few potential listings because of my photo, but not because of ugliness.
There must have been some other discrimination going on.

We've all probably seen the guy who looks like a criminal no matter who takes his photo. For sure that guy is being passed up by consumers.

I'd rather remain anonymous until the moment I show up for an appointment and get rejected in person than not being given a chance at all because of photo discrimination.

Real estate seems to be the only industry where photos are expected because we've trained the public to expect them.

If you had a random stack of realtor business cards and never met any of those realtors, who would you choose?
You don't know the difference between any of these realtors, but you picked the lady who looks pleasant?

How about the guy with a distinctive biz card with no photo?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:47 AM

442 posts, read 593,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
We've all probably seen the guy who looks like a criminal no matter who takes his photo. For sure that guy is being passed up by consumers.
My problem is I look like I'll probably raid their fridge during open houses.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Without question, an agent shouldn't put a photo on their business cards if they look like a shyster.

I usually only pass out business cards in person, so I don't really think it matters that I don't include my photo on my cards. Besides, in no way are those "glamour shots" going to help my business.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've wondered about the plethora of 'glamour shots' on virtually every RE Ad and sales booklet. Realtors must believe that it helps or they wouldn't do it, but, I can't help but, think it is overdone. I guess image is important in today's world, but, I'm more focused on performance record and plans for marketing one's property.
I avoid dealing with people that plaster their face on the sides of buses, or on benches and billboards. For realtors, I will select based on recommendations from trusted friends/relatives, and what they look like is of no significance. if we meet and don't hit it off, we won't sign the agreement, and will move on to the next.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I avoid dealing with people that plaster their face on the sides of buses, or on benches and billboards. For realtors, I will select based on recommendations from trusted friends/relatives, and what they look like is of no significance. if we meet and don't hit it off, we won't sign the agreement, and will move on to the next.
Me too. I would think they are too busy to properly care for my listing. I want someone with steady business and has been in real estate for a long time. I also avoid realtors that live in the community they sell for. I made the mistake of hiring one and she kept trying to get me to bid at the house price and not below. it dawned on me that she wanted to preserve the values in the community. Fired her and picked someone else. A neighbor used her to sell her home also and I thought she was priced high. The realtor wouldn't let her drop her price either. Neighbor went with another realtor and sold her home within days at a more realistic price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate