Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:51 PM

23 posts, read 23,122 times

Advertisements

[quote=NY Annie;38937244]I'm not going to jump on the complete scam bandwagon, but I am still not understanding how the OP believes that fiance is taking more risk in this venture.

You see, if he stops paying the mortgage while you are out of the country, the bank could foreclose.

If he doesn't have the money to make repairs, then you lose.

There are so many other ways it could happen

I have to tell you guys I was freaking out when I found out what I just did after signing the contract. Some seems to believe this entire thing might be a set up by a con artist. It s hard to believe so when I was the one who searched for houses while my fiancé was working. I believe that he is taking as much risk as I do or even more. He is already invested in this deal. He paid the deposit which isnt a small amount of money but I havent done anything yet. I can sense he is little nervous about it because if I dont keep my promise he will be in an awful situation. He 'maybe' able to co-sign the mortgage commitment with his sister (I cant think of anyone alse who can do) but by the time(closing) it will be late so he may have to do it all over again. He may not able to get his sister's ok. Then he can't cover the entire purchase price by himself. Therefore, he has to cancle the deal. The penalty of canceling the deal is depend on the situation but the seller would not let him walk away with having no consequence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Now he realizes he needs a co-signer? Is this post even legit? If it is, jeeze Mix, just walk away now and WHEN you get to the US with your visa, then buy a house.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I'm sure he can manage to support you, but does he have enough leftover income after paying the mtge to support you according to K1 guidelines? You really should run this by your immigration lawyer to be sure. The last thing you want is to be denied a visa because of income requirements.
Sure thanks... I will look into that.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Now he realizes he needs a co-signer? Is this post even legit? If it is, jeeze Mix, just walk away now and WHEN you get to the US with your visa, then buy a house.
Oh no he doesnt need a co-signer if I give him the money. I think his loan limit increases if he has a co-signer..

Old 03-25-2015, 05:59 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
I think everyone means well in dispensing their advice, but you can't live a life without taking any risk. Sure, by all means, take every reasonable precaution, but don't be afraid to use your natural instinct (no one else here has met, or has observed, your boyfriend). You are a very smart woman obviously, so analyze the situation with all the advice you have received from your friends, posters here and, most importantly, the attorney.

I just think that it would be a shame for you to possibly ruin your relationship with this guy because some Internet posters thought that he *might* be a crook. Maybe you will get burned, maybe you will live happily thereafter, but make sure it is your decision since no one but you will have to live with it. Ultimately, is your prince charming worth risking $50K over? That's not the end of the world for many people in First World countries. It's only money.

Mick

Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM

96 posts, read 85,224 times
Here's my opinion.

The only person who can make a proper assessment is you. People on here do not know you or your fiance.

I don't even take advice from my own parents when it comes to my partner. They don't know him and still think he's a con artist. We've been together for years, and my parents still think he's going to dry out my bank account and run any day now.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZombie View Post
Here's my opinion.

The only person who can make a proper assessment is you. People on here do not know you or your fiance.

I don't even take advice from my own parents when it comes to my partner. They don't know him and still think he's a con artist. We've been together for years, and my parents still think he's going to dry out my bank account and run any day now.
Just because he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean he won't in the future Lol. I'm happy your relationship is working out, however, objective observers are much better judges of character that a person's significant other. The old adage "love is blind" very much applies here. As for Mix's situation, it is true none of us have even met the fiancee, so we are less accurate judges than, say, Mix's family would be. However, there are many red flags. Let's put aside the idea that the fiancee could be scamming her out of a lot of money for a moment. There is still at least one big problem. Reading OP's many posts, she keeps repeating the theme that money will be tight, it will be very tough to afford the house even with her $50K contribution, blah, blah, blah.

I completely agree with whoever suggested she speak to her immigration attorney RE: income requirements for her K-1 visa before he(they) buy the house. Even if the fiancee isn't scamming her, it sounds like they can't afford as much house as they are about to buy, and being house poor is a very stressful way to live, (especially since in this case, it can threaten her ability to remain in US).

Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM

96 posts, read 85,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Just because he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean he won't in the future Lol. I'm happy your relationship is working out, however, objective observers are much better judges of character that a person's significant other. The old adage "love is blind" very much applies here. As for Mix's situation, it is true none of us have even met the fiancee, so we are less accurate judges than, say, Mix's family would be. However, there are many red flags. Let's put aside the idea that the fiancee could be scamming her out of a lot of money for a moment. There is still at least one big problem. Reading OP's many posts, she keeps repeating the theme that money will be tight, it will be very tough to afford the house even with her $50K contribution, blah, blah, blah.

I completely agree with whoever suggested she speak to her immigration attorney RE: income requirements for her K-1 visa before he(they) buy the house. Even if the fiancee isn't scamming her, it sounds like they can't afford as much house as they are about to buy, and being house poor is a very stressful way to live, (especially since in this case, it can threaten her ability to remain in US).
I completely agree with the bolded.

I actually have an acquaintance that was scammed out of $20k by a "fiance", so I completely understand the concern.

It's also very hard to tell the difference between real concern and just bias. For instance, in our case we're a gay couple. My family's been trying to find any reason to prove that he's a scam artist even though he's an accountant for one of the largest companies in the country. His family's been trying to find me on the FBI's most wanted list even though I'm an engineer for the department of transportation.

So, I can imagine biases being a factor when it comes to a multi-national couple.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Red herring after red herring

The K1 visa sponsor financial requirement is 125% of the poverty level or $20,000. This couple will likely spill that much annually

It is also often ignored by the government as it is virtually never enforced. Young and good prospects will stand you in better stead.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
OP, I urged caution and I still believe caution and a full understanding of the financial situation you might encounter is important to you.

And now I'm going to jump on the "go for it" train. Someone above said that life is chances. Chances taken and chances missed. A little about me:

Almost 18 years ago, I met a man online and we talked for months...online. We met in person 5 months later and within 2 months of that meeting, I moved 3 states away to be with him. I was 48 at the time. I did have a back-up plan with a good friend that I could make in with her if it didn't work out - so I would not have been homeless, but it was still a risk. 18 years later, we are still together and I have never been happier, nor could I imagine finding this deeply happy and satisfying of a relationship. Chances. Some don't work out - and some do. It was a calculated gamble.

I suggest to you that you have a back-up plan. That you always have enough money in your own, separate account that you can stand on your own feet should that need arise. Other than that,

it's just money and a little time lost. I wish you the best of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate