Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
We had more problems with other realtors than the people looking - gates left open, garage door left up, doors left unlocked, all the lights left on. Since the house was empty at the time (obviously so), we had to ask one of our former neighbors to keep watch on the house for us and then we drove over (about 2 hours) every couple weeks.

Our real estate agent was worthless and refused to check on the house for us OR tell us when it had been shown. In fact, we were in the process of calling to fire her when she told us that a couple (who had apparently seen our house 3 times) had made an offer.

We had the exact same thing---seems real estate agents don't know how to turn off a light They want the lights on and the AC running 24/7 so it looks "bright and inviting" when they drive up. Look, most buyers aren't that dumb---oh, lookie a "bright, inviting house We also got a neighbor to go over and turn off lights and AC. He said it was every night....he was smart enough to leave a slightly different pattern of lights each day or so to put off potential burglars....he also would set out our trash can on trash day with some of his trash......you don't find neighbors like that everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We had the exact same thing---seems real estate agents don't know how to turn off a light They want the lights on and the AC running 24/7 so it looks "bright and inviting" when they drive up. Look, most buyers aren't that dumb---oh, lookie a "bright, inviting house We also got a neighbor to go over and turn off lights and AC. He said it was every night....he was smart enough to leave a slightly different pattern of lights each day or so to put off potential burglars....he also would set out our trash can on trash day with some of his trash......you don't find neighbors like that everyday!

Leaving the garage open, the shop open and forgetting to relock doors was my biggest complaint. The lights - okay, fine, maybe they were looking in the day, the house was very bright, with a lot of natural light and you might not even notice you'd left lights on.

I'd think the agent with the buyers would take just a couple minutes and go around and check before he/she left. Of course, even though the selling agent's office was about 2 miles away, I couldn't get her to go look, either. Which was why we wanted to know when the house was shown, so we could get a neighbor to go over if we weren't headed over that week to dust and freshen up the house.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Someone who was talking to my realtor about buying my first house as an "investment" property dented the siding with a ladder. Then, to add insult to injury, totally lo-balled the offer. All I could do was complain to the realtor.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,572 times
Had this happen, people just deny they did it. You have no recourse except to paint it and hope for the best.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:39 AM

86 posts, read 256,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
How were you able to get out of it? Maybe in your state is different but according to our agent, here in Texas it is extremely difficult to get out of a contract if we are the sellers. When the inspector came to check our house on behalf of the buyers, we noticed that someone had pulled/broken the top of one fence board. I think the buyer was wanting to see what was on the other side since it is a green belt. We are quite upset about it. The buyer came to walk the house with the inspector but their agent was not with them. This is just one example of how difficult these buyers have been. If I could get out of the contract I probably would.
Yes, we were able to get out of it. We were in what's called 'attorney review' which is several days/week after signed acceptance of a contract. Mind you, we were on the last evening of that. Our attorney was about to send over the 'all clear' to the buyers side the very next morning. We called him very late Sunday night and said get us out of this. Fortunately, it was simple since these 'buyers' sent over the request insisting on a new water heater and some small petty things - again, they did not have an inspection, just their parent's 'inspection' - so with that change int he contract, our attorney declared that we did not accept the new contract and that it was now null and void.

We also told our realtor that we would not allow that realtor back in our house at any time even with new buyers.

You want to know the weirdest part? That realtor that allowed them to go around thoroughly investigating [ we found other things that should not have been touched and they were the ONLY people besides us in the house in that day] was the sister-in-law of our neighbors across the street.

We also had the problems with all of the OTHER realtors not locking the sliding glass doors in the back, turning off lights that were on, empty soda bottles and lunch trash left on our dining room table, mud tracked in even with several doormats, tv left on [ um, why were they touching that?] - even with friendly posted signs to please leave all lights and doors as they found them. Simple friendly instructions that apparently were ignored.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Some people just have no regard for other peoples property.
When we were looking at houses, we always respected the homeowners whose house we were looking at.
I treat others as I want to be treated - somehow it seems, not everybody does that...

Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I hear so many stories like this that if I were the buyer's agent, I would set rules for buyers on day 1.

As listing agent, I see buyers come in and thankfully most are well behaved.

Stuff like this makes you really want to buy some hidden cameras.

fortunately you only need to paint one wall if the paint color/finish is close enough.
If you have PC's or laptop with cameras, you can leave them on and record while you are gone. And in some states, you might have to put a sign that states: Under camera surveillance etc but I would if I had to sell my house.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
We had contract on house and buyer went in before closing to measure for washer/dryer space in laundry room a few days b4 closing--
We went in w our agent day before closing for final inspection and found water damage in laundry room from the water for washer being turned on but not completely closed.
We had to get plumber to replace connection and guy to come out-- replace drywall, painted, dried/stretched carpet on other side of wall in bedroom where water seeped
All b4 closing so they could do walk through-- cost was less than ins deductable
Buyer totally denied doing anything
Her RE agent was her mother and just along for the ride--agent was not one badgering our agent 4 times a day about stuff/info she wanted

Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Re the OP--
Those people are just crooks
Trying to obtain something w/o legitimate reason
If the agent knew (and it is possible she was only told about the water after the fact) then she is unscrupulous as well
You could make complaint w/owner of her office and RE board but u need some proof--photos and letter from your plumber re the release of water and no other problem w/water heater might work

Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGELC View Post
I was under the impression that was part of your job as a showing agent, to keep track of your clients and not let them mess up other peoples property (or steal from them).
There have been a number of news segments where the sales people have the stars of home security cameras. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate