U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 PM

2,523 posts, read 6,139,329 times

Advertisements

I'm considering terminating our sales agreement with the broker listing our house. The contract says that in such an event the broker still retains rights to their commission and recovery of any other expenses incurred (ad placements, etc). Obviously I want to avoid this. My position is that they provided incorrect advice on several critical issues thereby costing me substantial $$ and delaying the sale.

I don't want to sue, just make it clear that if they won't let me out without such a penalty (which they'd have to sue me for) that I have grounds of my own to go after them. I want respective hold-harmless letters exchanged.

The question: what typically constitutes non-performance or incompetence by a real estate agent or agency? This isn't a case of lying, cheating or stealing. It's just stupidity and providing bad advice stemming from laziness (which became apparent after the fact). I don't want to start a war I can't win (winning = no-fault, no-cost contract termination).

Please don't ask the circumstances, doesn't matter. I just want to know what's needed to break contract without penalty. Comments welcome, thanks much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM

38,836 posts, read 67,262,262 times
1. Lawyer for a contract is the default response.

2. Your contract will, or at least SHOULD, specify terms of disengagement. If you want to revise the terms, see #1.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM

86 posts, read 137,376 times
What do you mean "sales agreement"? Do you mean the listing agreement?, or have you entered a sales contract with a buyer while being represented by this agent?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 PM

31,880 posts, read 73,102,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I'm considering terminating our sales agreement with the broker listing our house.
My position is...

Please don't ask the circumstances, doesn't matter.
I just want to know...
You're asking for legal advice and this isn't the place for that.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. Lawyer for a contract is the default response.

2. Your contract will, or at least SHOULD, specify terms of disengagement. If you want to revise the terms, see #1.
Yes, of course, I realize that.
My hope is that somebody here knows enough about such issues to offer some general statements, experiences or caveats that might be helpful before I shell out $$ for a lawyer.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM

38,836 posts, read 67,262,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Yes, of course, I realize that.
My hope is that somebody here knows enough about such issues to offer some general statements, experiences or caveats that might be helpful before I shell out $$ for a lawyer.
OK.
Build your case and present it to the Broker.
Nothing shrill or emotional, just expressing the grounds for your general disappointment, and your desire to part company.
Ask to be released and released of all obligation to the brokerage.

You may just get it. You may not.
And, if your contract is so vague that the brokerage stands to collect on commission and ads, and those costs were not specified with limits, you probably get to choose between paying the attorney or staying married to the brokerage.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
What do you mean "sales agreement"? Do you mean the listing agreement?, or have you entered a sales contract with a buyer while being represented by this agent?
Listing agreement.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:47 AM

6,450 posts, read 4,935,118 times
Probably cheaper and less stressful to ride out the listing. I can't imagine the contract says you're responsible for commission if the house doesn't sell. If the crummy broker sells the house by the end of the contract, pinch your nose and accept the check and move on. Or, do you already have a buyer?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,021,595 times
Without knowing the circumstances or the wording of your contract, it is difficult to advise you accurately. But in general, I'd have a meeting with the managing broker. Just say what you've said here; basically you have to come to a mutual agreement to be released from a contract. If you feel that their actions have been so great that you need to involve the real estate commission in your state, that may be another avenue to seek possible restitution. If you cannot come to a mutual agreement to dissolve the contract then yes, lawyer time.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM

10,264 posts, read 16,663,103 times
cjmeck nailed it. She also wrote the magic words; real estate commission. Most designated brokers would drop the OP like a hot potato unless the listing client has a back door buyer he wants to sell to without paying a commission. That happens too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate