Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Your bylaws has nothing on how to contest your fines or lodge a complaint/grievance?

I think he means parking rules. Fines/complaint/grievance are usually written as a procedure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:54 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
How does one contest a fine given by an HOA? New York State

The backstory of this is that the HOA claims I am violating the guest parking rules (everyone with a second vehicle uses guest parking). When I ask for clarification on which rule I am violating and how, every time they give me the run around and tell me 'the guest parking rules'.

I finally received a fine in the mail, they state that I have been fined (it has been deducted from my account), and the 'rule' was a letter from about a year ago asking everyone to temporarily move their cars so they could clean the garage (not guest parking, which is outside). This 'rule' is not in the bylaws/house rules, it was not added as an amendment, and I do not believe it to be valid.

It's only $100. I don't care. I would like fight this on principal. What options do I have? Small claims court? Letter to the HOA?
Don't let it go, fight it or they will continue to find things to fine people for. Also find out where the money is going, Demand to see the rule you violated. Make them prove to you that others who did the same were also fined and get together and fight back, also find out what they do with that money.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Your remedy depends somewhat on what state you are in.
In some states you can file a "fraudulent lien/claim" cause of action, conversion claim, etc.

Also, you referenced that "it has been deducted from my account". Had you given monies above and beyond current assessments to the HOA corp? If so, the manner in which you paid such fees may give rise to another cause of action (check law is state based, various forms of electronic payment are based on federal law/treasury regulation and they don't get to "re-designate" funds from the manner in which you designated them at time of payment). Is there a management company involved? If so that will be the source of problems for years to come.
Spot on. There is a new management company.

Yes, they immediately deducted the fine from my checking account used to pay the monthly fees.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Don't let it go, fight it or they will continue to find things to fine people for. Also find out where the money is going, Demand to see the rule you violated. Make them prove to you that others who did the same were also fined and get together and fight back, also find out what they do with that money.
The question is how? Who can I talk to to find these things? The management company? What if they refuse? The HOA?

I've been getting a runaround about the rule that I've violated, and they can't produce anything from the bylaws.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think he means parking rules. Fines/complaint/grievance are usually written as a procedure
Correct. I'll have to check the bylaws for filing grievances but I was referring to the parking rules.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:34 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
We use a visitor's pass for our guests. We have to limit guest parking for 48 hours. Our problem is there are many households with 4 cars, so the same few chronically ruin it for the rest. We have a tow company that tracks all the cars, their location and and tag #. They find it, they document with photos and tow it away. No fines. Problem solved.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:19 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Spot on. There is a new management company.

Yes, they immediately deducted the fine from my checking account used to pay the monthly fees.
Can you switch from autopay?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:35 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
You might put notes on the windshields of everyone who parks in the guest spots asking if they were fined, too. Get a group together and go to the next board meeting. If there is no board meeting, try to force one through a petition.

It's hard to believe that your docs don't have a section dedicated to rules, violations, and procedures for those violations. Unless you are dramatically understating the nature of your warning letters, it sure sounds like they jumped a few steps (violation notice, fining committee, appeal, judgment) and I would also check your docs to see if you authorized them to deduct fines directly from your checking account. You also might look to see if NY has any agencies tasked with protecting residents against overzealous management companies.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You might put notes on the windshields of everyone who parks in the guest spots asking if they were fined, too. Get a group together and go to the next board meeting. If there is no board meeting, try to force one through a petition.

It's hard to believe that your docs don't have a section dedicated to rules, violations, and procedures for those violations. Unless you are dramatically understating the nature of your warning letters, it sure sounds like they jumped a few steps (violation notice, fining committee, appeal, judgment) and I would also check your docs to see if you authorized them to deduct fines directly from your checking account. You also might look to see if NY has any agencies tasked with protecting residents against overzealous management companies.
Ok, for some more details, I have a motorcycle parked there. Management agency doesn't like the fact that there is a motorcycle. The bylaws don't have anything against it, they just don't like it.

There have been a few letters regarding this that the management agency has sent. It always refers to a violation of parking rules. No specifics. I call and ask for a rule, not a generic 'parking violation'. They send the same letter. This time they went ahead and fined me (along with the irrelevant garage cleanup letter).

Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Can you switch from autopay?
Yes, but everything I've ever read says to pay the fine first, which makes sense since if I don't pay there will be liens and what not that will cause even more headache
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate