Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

It was the norm, the example set for us.
Parents and extended family always owned, renting only long enough to buy.

As a kid, I assumed renters were just people who hadn't bought yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
When I have saved that 20% ( still 194,491 to go LOL ) and I want to buy in Memorial area.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:21 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I moved to from TN to IN a little over a year ago and have a stable job. I'm now in my second year of renting and am thinking of buying either a small house with a small yard (in towns probably northeast of Indianapolis) or a condo in the Indy suburbs. I don't mind small amounts of yard work (wouldn't want anything I need much more than a push mower, weed eater, and hedge trimmer for). I don't want to be on a hill nor do I want to be mowing for hours.

I have some loud neighbors and trashy people in the apartment complex. Many times the dumpsters are full with large items like TVs and furniture. I'm getting somewhat tired of renting.

When did you first want to own a home and why?
Off and on since college. It would be nice to customize my living space but then again I have seen things happen in my family as a result of home ownership that didn't work out so well. The most common seems to be someone in the family gets sick or needs the homeowner's help, causing them to fall behind on maintenance and cleaning, especially with big houses. What makes it worse is when there is relocation involved on top of it all.

To be fair, some of those issues can come up with renting as well, though the maintenance time commitment is much reduced.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
I got married at age 27 (1974) and was traveling all over the country as a professional dog handler and trainer. I took my bride with me, to show her the sights. In less than a year, we were expecting our first child. So I went back home, bought a starter house (2 beds, 1 bath) and got a job with the state, which I hated. But I did keep it for few years, till we got straight financially. By then, we had TWO babies. We lived in that house for over 20 years.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:39 AM

203 posts, read 327,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It was the norm, the example set for us.
Parents and extended family always owned, renting only long enough to buy.

As a kid, I assumed renters were just people who hadn't bought yet.
This is a big part of it. If you grow up in a family that is well enough off to own their home, in a neighborhood/community where all of the adults are homeowners, it becomes the expectation for the next generation. Children grow up seeing adults work hard, pay their mortgage and learn that owning a home is something to be proud of. This is part of how socioeconomic status is transferred, when those kids grow up they not only expect to own homes but they have been exposed to the process and are knowledgeable about what it entails. If no one in your family has ever owned a home it may seem unreachable, not to mention the chances are less likely that they'll be wealthy enough to help you out when you're young to make buying possible. Home ownership is part of the American Dream because it's taught to be valued.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
This is a big part of it. If you grow up in a family that is well enough off to own their home, in a neighborhood/community where all of the adults are homeowners, it becomes the expectation for the next generation. Children grow up seeing adults work hard, pay their mortgage and learn that owning a home is something to be proud of. This is part of how socioeconomic status is transferred, when those kids grow up they not only expect to own homes but they have been exposed to the process and are knowledgeable about what it entails. If no one in your family has ever owned a home it may seem unreachable, not to mention the chances are less likely that they'll be wealthy enough to help you out when you're young to make buying possible. Home ownership is part of the American Dream because it's taught to be valued.
Too often, first timers want too much coming out of the chute.

Buying sensibly, and moving up from there(if desired) years later when better financial footing is achieved is much more sustainable than maxing out and making the home a source of financial and personal stress.

Families are smaller and homes are much larger. It makes little financial sense for most young people to approach it that way.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

When did you first want to own a home and why?
I've had property lust for my entire adult life. I was barely nineteen when I spotted my first. A red brick chalet type just outside of town. Then, the asking price was a mere $55K, now she's easily worth triple that. This was back in the day, mind you. The idea of having my own space was utmost priority having grown up in a noisy houseful of drama. I need space and quiet.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:49 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Growing up, many of my family members were renters. So, that was normal, to me. In my sophomore year in college, my mom did buy her first house, and that put the idea into my head, that owning was desirable. (I never really thought about homeownership before that, and had no opinion)

After graduation, I got a job in a new city. I rented an apartment in the suburbs, because I didn't know the city, and because I had plans at the time to move to a different part of the country every 5-10 years. (LOL) After 2 years, I gave up on that idea, and decided I wanted to buy a house in a more walkable, older neighborhood in the city.

13 years later, I just sold that house for just under half of what I paid for it. (the neighborhood was hit extremely hard by foreclosures--lots of walkaways, followed by negligent banks. The fact that I got as much as I did is a sign of stabilization) So, it probably would have been wiser to rent, instead. But, I thoroughly enjoyed having the freedom to do whatever I wanted with the house and landscaping, while there.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
When I was 12 and my parents first said, "my house, my rules".

I was 23 when I actually bought my first condo.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
When I lived at the beach in Huntington Beach Calif. and my landlady who was a Realtor started raising the rent 20% every year. I realized that the only way to escape the monthly fleecing was to buy my own place and establish a fixed payment every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate