Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 AM

15 posts, read 23,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Um, what potential problems would there be? We did an escalation on our first house, and it's what allowed us to get it.
This was our first offer on buying a house, and only the third house we had seen in person. (We had been looking for months and months online and this was the first house we both loved). We had done research into offers and contingencies, but we weren't expecting to get into a bidding war, so we just trusted our Realtor.

I guess I thought the Realtor would really try and get the house since their pay is based on. Live and Learn, at least it just cost us time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
What part of "best and highest" is unclear? It's not your agents fault if you didn't offer your "best and highest" when asked for it. Escalation clauses have their own problems. Would you close if your escalation clause put you $25,000 over asking or would you be thinking the agents collaborated with a bogus offer to drive yours up?

The most likely scenario is that the seller wisely preferred cash over financing. If the other offer was cash, as a seller, I would have taken it even if this one was $1000 higher. I see too many loans fail to close or have to get extensions rather than close on the original close date. As a seller, it's not worth the hassle or risk of accepting a financing contingent offer unless the difference in price is substantial.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:32 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbumich View Post
This was our first offer on buying a house, and only the third house we had seen in person. (We had been looking for months and months online and this was the first house we both loved). We had done research into offers and contingencies, but we weren't expecting to get into a bidding war, so we just trusted our Realtor.

I guess I thought the Realtor would really try and get the house since their pay is based on. Live and Learn, at least it just cost us time.
It is easy as an agent to think people are under-bidding, but dangerous territory to tell them to increase their offer.
The next thing we can expect to hear: "We were already $10,000 over list price, and our agent pressed us to offer more."

If the market dynamics, recent comparable closings, market trends, all supported your offer as reasonable regardless of list price, you just got outbid.
It happens.
Fishy stuff also happens, but nearly all the time we just see that someone else put a little more money on the table.
And, Cash is King.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
So what happens if two buyers put an escalation clause in with their offer? The price would rise into the stratosphere until no mortgage would be willing to fund it. Seems to me that they should not be allowed.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Escalation clauses would mention how high the potential buyer would be willing to pay. A purchase price limit would be specified.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So what happens if two buyers put an escalation clause in with their offer? The price would rise into the stratosphere until no mortgage would be willing to fund it. Seems to me that they should not be allowed.
I saw one escalation offer 9 years ago. Scribbled in the margin of our standard Offer to Purchase.

They are strongly discouraged in NC by the RE Commission and the NCAR Legal Beagles, and as we don't have standard forms provided, would have to be drafted by an attorney.

18 months ago, I went to an NCAR Legal seminar where they were discussed in depth, and the details escape me right now, but trust and chicanery were two topics touched on.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 AM

15 posts, read 23,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
What part of "best and highest" is unclear? It's not your agents fault if you didn't offer your "best and highest" when asked for it. Escalation clauses have their own problems. Would you close if your escalation clause put you $25,000 over asking or would you be thinking the agents collaborated with a bogus offer to drive yours up?

The most likely scenario is that the seller wisely preferred cash over financing. If the other offer was cash, as a seller, I would have taken it even if this one was $1000 higher. I see too many loans fail to close or have to get extensions rather than close on the original close date. As a seller, it's not worth the hassle or risk of accepting a financing contingent offer unless the difference in price is substantial.
Nothing about "being told to put your best foot forward" is unclear, but they other buyer's best was 100$ more than our offer, and ours was supposedly submitted after. They were probably just lucky/wise enough to offer 10100 over list on a house they were told only had one offer on.

It looks like it was sold to a buyer whose agent works in the same agency as the listing agent. I also agree cash is king, so how long does it take to close a cash deal, just over a month? I am just wondering. We are closing in 21 days on the house we did end up with. That was conventional financing though. I also understand it takes a little while for the MLS to update.

I learned a lesson, make sure you have a good Realtor/pick one in the same agency as the house you really like, or skip Realtors and buy FSBO.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Different states use different terms. I have not seen the term "escalation" before. In Maine they call it a kickout clause.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Nothing about "being told to put your best foot forward" is unclear, but they other buyer's best was 100$ more than our offer, and ours was supposedly submitted after. They were probably just lucky/wise enough to offer 10100 over list on a house they were told only had one offer on.
I think there was an escalation clause involved by that buyer so it didn't matter when you offered. They would automatically outbid you. Kind of like how you place a bid on ebay and the system continues to bid up for you until you hit the cap even if people enter a bid after you.

Quote:

I learned a lesson, make sure you have a good Realtor/pick one in the same agency as the house you really like, or skip Realtors and buy FSBO.
No. Take the time to interview buyer agents so you aren't hiring the first person that answers the phone to write an offer. Being within the same agency has nothing to do with anything. Your agent didn't explain the options to you in negotiating during multiple offers.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:27 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Different states use different terms. I have not seen the term "escalation" before. In Maine they call it a kickout clause.
Out here a kickout clause is a clause used for home sale contingencies. Escalation clauses are totally different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate