Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 13,395 times

Advertisements

We're buying a house cross country, which causes its own set of woes, and the seller wants to keep possession for 48 hours after close. My gut tells me that this is a bad idea, but it's a hot market and refusing could cost me this deal.

Is this common in Colorado or your neck of the woods? Does it usually work out? Is there anything I should ensure is in the contract to protect myself and the property after close?

I do have a (fabulous) buyer's agent working with me, and an attorney to review the contract; I'm just looking for other points of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:11 PM

450 posts, read 507,464 times
I'd be very sceptical. If the place burns down during those 48 hours or if anything else bad should happen, (maybe they start taking the lumber from your deck, removing appliances, make a mess of some sort etc. (any number of things). Uhh, uhh!

We both signed on the line, now hand me the keys and have a good day! Nice doing business with you.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
This used to be the norm in Colorado.
Surprised me when I moved from Massachusetts where keys were transferred at the closing ceremony.
The number of problems during multiple decades appeared to be very low.

We did it when we sold our house in 2011.
Not because it was a hot market, but because "buyers" were known to walk the morning of closing (happened to our alley neighbor).
Our buyer seemed to be OK with it and we got to move everything after closing.
He got keys at closing and we moved stuff out and cleaned. Also left him a bottle of Domaine Chandon in the frigo.

I say: relax and go with the flow.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
My guess is they need to do simultaneous closings on that house and a new one, and they can't move your closing date because they need the funds from your purchase to finance their purchase. And of course they can't move their things into their new house before that transaction closes and they don't want to have to move everything twice.

I'd talk to your attorney and have him or her draft up something to cover you in terms of things like any damage they do, and then go ahead. It's really not that uncommon for sellers to rent back for some period of time after closing and as Dave said, it doesn't seem like there has been a lot of issues with it.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
[quote=emm74;39210249]My guess is they need to do simultaneous closings on that house and a new one, and they can't move your closing date because they need the funds from your purchase to finance their purchase. And of course they can't move their things into their new house before that transaction closes and they don't want to have to move everything twice.

I'd talk to your attorney and have him or her draft up something to cover you in terms of things like any damage they do, and then go ahead. It's really not that uncommon for sellers to rent back for some period of time after closing and as Dave said, it doesn't seem like there has been a lot of issues with it.[/QUOTE]

This. I am about to put our house in Denver on the market and move to Texas. My kids get out of school the first week of June and I will be packing and loading mid June. If a buyer wanted a close date earlier than when I could leave in mid June, I would only consent to that if we closed and then they rented the home back to me for X days or whatever. I will leave only when I am ready to leave.

Like emm74 says, you can just have the contract address any potential for damage between closing date and the date you take possession. Not dissimilar from the contract having provisions for damage that occurs between the Under contract date and closing.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelesscolorado View Post
We're buying a house cross country, which causes its own set of woes, and the seller wants to keep possession for 48 hours after close. My gut tells me that this is a bad idea, but it's a hot market and refusing could cost me this deal.

Is this common in Colorado or your neck of the woods? Does it usually work out? Is there anything I should ensure is in the contract to protect myself and the property after close?

I do have a (fabulous) buyer's agent working with me, and an attorney to review the contract; I'm just looking for other points of view.

It's not that uncommon. As stated I would make a agreement that they will be held responsible for any damage to the property. Can you extend the closing another 48 hrs?

I had a buddy buying a house.mthe lady wanted to rent back the property for 60 days. After closing. I told him to do a 90 day escrow. It worked out to close on the last day she was there and she got the 60 days

Old 04-14-2015, 04:18 AM

8 posts, read 13,395 times
Thanks, everyone! We will be going through with the deal. I just needed to hear that it wasn't so outlandish.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:53 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
It's not a big deal. My closing was on a Wednesday evening, the movers came Thursday, and the house was immaculate and empty by Friday at noon. I called the new owner to tell him when I was leaving, left the back door unlocked and the keys in a kitchen drawer. It worked out for everyone.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Default There is a form for that

It's called a Post Closing Occupancy Agreement http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

It addresses "rent" and "insurance" and "utilities" and other essentials.

In Colorado, we licensees are required to use the state issued forms.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times
I'm in the contract right now in Colorado for a condo (I'm the buyer) and seller will have possession for 9 days post closing. We signed Post Closing Occupancy Agreement and we are fine with the arrangement. In my case it helps that I met the seller, who is an elderly lady with mobility issues, and I know the reason she wants this arrangement is to allow some time to wire proceeds from the sale to her children as she is leaving the country. She can't wire the money and leave on the same day.

But short answer is - yes, it's common. When we were buying our current house sellers also asked about staying after closing but for a longer period with a lease back. We said "no" as we needed the house right away. Of course, it was a totally different market back then (2012).

I recently considered a condo where seller wanted to stay for 45 days without rent. They were under contract next day, with $2K above asking AND it was a cash buyer. It's a huge seller's market right now, and as a buyer you have to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate