Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 AM

154 posts, read 389,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
I wouldn't waste my time "befriending" a drug addict who continually broke the law and disturbed the peace. The friendship would be fake. I don't lie. Plus, unless you are qualified, advising an addict may not be a good idea. What if you unintentionally give them bad advise? I wouldn't want to get mixed up in the neighbor's issues.

I'd want no part of it. "Dude - you need professional help" is probably all I would say. And I would continue to defend my rights to enjoy my property and call the authorities every time I saw a clear offense (and yes, audio/video is good to prove your point).
I won't relay the whole story, but I'll just say that my experience shows that your advice here is 100% correct.

flamtap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post
I won't relay the whole story, but I'll just say that my experience shows that your advice here is 100% correct.

flamtap
Yeah if I were you I'd stay out of it other than gathering evidence and notifying the police. No need to address the guy directly. It's better if you maintain complete separation so the people in the house aren't sure if you're the primary person pursuing their eviction. Better if they think multiple neighbors are keeping an eye on them. Even better if you get someone else entirely (a stranger) to come over and video when they're fighting. If they're already feeling a bit paranoid, having a total stranger come up and watch them would add to their discomfort. (Assuming public video recording is legal in your jurisdiction)

As for MYOB, if they're fighting in public and coming up to your door to use your phone - they're getting in YOUR business at that point.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,681 times
I also highly recommend attending your HOA meetings. I live in a community the has over 700 homes; at the meeting on Monday there were a total of 5 residents (other than board members) at the meeting and two were committee chairs!

Another thing you may want to do is install surveillance cameras on the exterior of your home. Just a thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate