Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 02:44 PM

718 posts, read 599,157 times

Advertisements

I would like to give a gift to the real estate agent who has helped me look for a home this past month. No sale came out of the time and I'm putting the search on hold for a bit. I did want to give them a gift for their time and thank them.

I was thinking a nice thank you card with a gas gift card, $50.00 - $100.00. Is there anything in particular that an agent wold appreciate more than another or am I on the right track?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM

192 posts, read 826,715 times
It's a little unusual to give a gift to your real estate agent, but I'm sure they would appreciate a gas gift card as they do spend time and gas driving clients around to see homes.

That being said, when we closed on our house last month we bought a gift for our agent because she went above and beyond to give us a smooth buying transaction when our concurrent selling transaction in California was very rocky. I never had to stress one second about the purchase, she bought us a home warranty and rebated us a certain amount at closing. We had been home shopping with her for two months and in that time had gotten to know each other pretty well, so we gave her a personal gift that showed her that we appreciated her. Over the two months we found that she was really into wood carved Oaxacan animal statues, so we found a nice one for about $150 and gave that to her.

On the selling side the buyers ignored deadlines to remove contingencies, wanted a week's extension for the inspection contingency and asked me permission for it 24hrs after they were supposed to remove the contingency (of a 17 day window), and closed 3 days late. Despite both my agent and the buyer's agent being from the same office, all my agent did was shrug when the buyers repeatedly missed or ignored deadlines. My buying agent here would've been on the phone hammering out resolutions well before any negotiated deadlines (we had inspections done on day 3, negotiations for repairs done in 3 hours on day 4, and inspection contingency removed on day 5). Didn't buy a gift for my selling agent, but I paid full price for her services and the deal almost fell through 2 1/2 weeks in, so I don't feel bad about that.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:01 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,790,192 times
Referrals or a gift certificate would be fine.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
What will make a REAL difference to her: Sending her referrals, using her next time you look for a house, offering to be a reference for other clients, and (maybe) putting up positive reviews online.

What will make her smile, but will make you feel 'better': thank you card with gift card for gas or AMEX/VISA card she can spend on whatever she wants (Costco, if they are a member).

Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM

71 posts, read 80,663 times
You are incredibly thoughtful and I wish all buyers were like you! I assure you, your agent expects nothing, anything is very sweet and will be appreciated. Make sure to spread her name around, that is the best gift you can give!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate