Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 PM

822 posts, read 1,283,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I would NOT get day laborers, someone who doesn't know how to paint will cost you more than a professional painter in the long run. In my 20's I had towels, curtains, my phone, etc. painted by painters - they were young and cheap though! Never again!!!
U can do what you want. I have flipped properties successfully and rented properties to yuppies like you using day laborers to do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't agree that EVERYONE prefers "boring beige"...
Its not that everyone prefers "boring beige". Its that it allows the home to be a blank canvas for the potential buyer to imagine as their home. Neutrals walls also don't need to be painted right away. The main colors in my bedroom are gray and purple. My bedspread, lamps, pictures and other accessories would look horrible in a room painted burgundy with Aztec yellow and turquoise accent walls. So I would have to paint all the walls before moving in. But then I would also be ripping out orange tiled floor, purple/lilac and yellow cabinets, and 19 year old carpet... So I guess painting would be the least of my problems.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At one time, it was estimated that 40% of the cash buyers here in Las Vegas were Chinese. And they go crazy over the color Red, the color of joy to them!

Now! If I could get a Chinese buyer into my house, and with those bright red countertops, and even the Burgundy walls in the bedroom, I might just have a quick buyer!

Correction: the framing for my kitchen cabinets is purple, but the doors are a soft violet, which compliments the 2 pink walls, and if you open the doors, I even painted the interior of the cupboards bright yellow. Given I'm always leaving the cupboard doors open, I wanted it to look attractive even with the cupboard doors open!

With the above posts, I'm now considering doing a test run, without painting, and the help of an agent, as I'm in no great rush to sell! I'll find it out, soon enough, if the color is a big deterrant, and then I'll paint it! But only with the recommendation of my agent, which rooms.
I think your house sounds fun...but I would really be not in the market. I guess if I was bold enough to do that, I'd pick my own colors

Old 04-23-2015, 03:53 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
I have a thought for the OP: maybe take pictures of your flamboyant walls before beating them with an angry beige paintbrush. If a color loving dream buyer enters the house, show them the old pictures so they can see the possibilities. This covers you if somebody's looking for an edgy decorating style, while appealing to the 90% that don't want it.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:56 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Folks have difficulties imagining how things could be, adding in a variety of colors can make it more difficult. We just bought an old house with very drab paint colors. Even the very pink - "dried Pepto Bismal Pink" - bedroom managed drab somehow. It has been painted over to a warm sandy beige and is hugely improved. The drab dead moss green living room has become much happier in a lighter soft mint. Since the colors are going over some of the same hue - sort of anyway - it's painting over easily. Picking out the trim in white has improved it as well. They'd painted that the same colors as the walls so the whole thing was one big drabness. But, each house is different as is each buyer so there may not be one answer that works.

If it were my house, I'd start at the entry way and repaint that at least. Maybe the first room or two as they come in the door. I'd suspect many folks kinda decide if they like a house right as they step inside.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Honestly, I just want the OP to post photos. This house sounds like a hot mess to me, but it would be pretty awesome if it turns out that even with all the colors, it looked cool.

Last edited by MisfitBanana; 04-23-2015 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 PM

944 posts, read 1,185,772 times
Our 10 years old townhouse, had, among other colors, a tomato red kitchen...a few bright yellow rooms etc. It even had a custom painted in NFL colors den/office. It was spotless, nicely staged, and it was on the market for a total of 38 hrs before I had a contract in hand. We spent about $500 all together getting it ready, and that included steam cleaned carpets, sparkling clean top-to-bottom and no clutter/excellent staging! AND, we got over asking price...I asked my realtor if we should paint...nope, sellers market.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Mexicans?
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ghborhood.html

Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Honestly, I just want the OP to post photos. This house sounds like a hot mess to me, but it would be pretty awesome if it turns out that even with all the colors, it looked cool.
I keep checking this thread hoping the OP has posted photos.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I keep checking this thread hoping the OP has posted photos.
Post photo's? I'm a low-tekkie, don't even own a Smartphone, I own a simple cellphone! Yes, I have a camera, and that always takes a herculean effort to get a photo uploaded!

Today, I called the agent that sold me my house 19 years ago, but she's now retired, and she is going to refer an agent to me, and she told me to wait with the painting, until the agent arrives, to give me tips on how to make it more saleable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate