Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times

Advertisements

She is doing you a disservice. I did a similar thing using a realtor I bought a new home through, and she was terrible at trying to market my existing home. I had a very custom home and she did not point out the custom features in the listing. When I questioned her, her response was that by not including too much information people would need to call her for more info. We fired her, changed the listing to include detailed information about the unique features of the house, and sold the house within 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
This sounds like you're probably a difficult person to work for/ hard to please. I'm just guessing and don't mean it as an insult so please don't take it as one.

So trying to sell the townhouse I bought in 2008. The agent posted one picture on MRIS, which was from the 2008 listing.... She thinks painting the whole house and lowering the price is the answer. While painting will help.
It's possible you're both right. I definitely agree that multiple and updated photos are important. You may also need to lower the price and paint the house but I can't really answer that as I've never seen it and I'm not familiar with your market.[/quote]

I am really quite easy going and laid back.

I did however have a long list of wants with a very slim budget. I tend to only buy foreclosures, so of those 500 houses, a lot of them were just plain awful. Like standing water in basement, major structural damage, evidence of suicides, etc.

It took years to find one that was what I was looking for, somewhere remotely close to my budget and did not need a complete teardown.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:48 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
She has already made her commission from selling you a home and now has become lazy. You are not the problem, or being difficult as it is your property.

Cancel your contract and list the condo yourself as For Sale By Owner which will save you commissions. Don't allow her, or anyone else, to playing stupid games.

Here is another discussion about photos

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...t-up-butt.html

Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
She has already made her commission from selling you a home and now has become lazy.

Cancel your contract and list the condo yourself as For Sale By Owner which will save you commissions. You don't her, or anyone else, playing stupid games.
It is a townhouse, not a condo. I do not have the time to do it myself. I work full time. Single mom of two young kids that I have 100% of the time, and just bought a 2800 Sq ft foreclosure on a little over 2 acres. Plus upkeep and yard maintenance at two houses. My time is already in the negative time zone... Unfortunately.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,315 times
Nothing you're asking for seems to be unreasonable. 1 photo on the listing is unacceptable, even if it is a fixer. It's hard for me to comment on pricing because of other caveats (condition and square footage compared to the recent 2bd sale). Also, mentioning the microwave is not going to make a difference.

Even if it's your best friend, you're going to have to put your foot down. They're not doing a good job of marketing your home and could be losing you money every day it sits on the market due to lack of interest.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Tell her she has 7 days to add the maximum amount of photos. Period. No excuses, no suggestions on what I can do to make the house look better, just take the photos and post them.... NOW.

Take the photos yourself if you dont want an argument about the photos she took.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It is a townhouse, not a condo. I do not have the time to do it myself. I work full time. Single mom of two young kids that I have 100% of the time, and just bought a 2800 Sq ft foreclosure on a little over 2 acres. Plus upkeep and yard maintenance at two houses. My time is already in the negative time zone... Unfortunately.
Give your friend 24 hours to toe the line, which is generous at this point, and then call her broker and ask for an agent who will work for you.

You will have room in your rolodex and time in your social calendar to find a new friend.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,222,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
She has already made her commission from selling you a home and now has become lazy. You are not the problem, or being difficult as it is your property.

Cancel your contract and list the condo yourself as For Sale By Owner which will save you commissions. Don't allow her, or anyone else, to playing stupid games.

How could you give such advice without knowing any of the circumstances. She said she already bought another house! So time and money are probably of the essence. She needs a good realtor to get it sold!! Not a FSBO that could take forever and cost her money!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
how could you give such advice without knowing any of the circumstances. She said she already bought another house! so time and money are probably of the essence. She needs a good realtor to get it sold!! Not a fsbo that could take forever and cost her money!
lol.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:22 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
How could you give such advice without knowing any of the circumstances. She said she already bought another house! So time and money are probably of the essence. She needs a good realtor to get it sold!! Not a FSBO that could take forever and cost her money!
Heidi believes everyone should sell FSBO regardless of their circumstances.

OP, I personally would not agree to any kind of price reduction or change without basic marketing happening by my agent. I would find a local professional real estate photographer in your area. Email the link to your friend and ask for that person to be hired (usually about $150 or so) to take photos. Otherwise I'd ask to be released from the contract.

I assume, as your best friend, that she gave you some kind of friend discount which would impact marketing, but pro photos aren't typically expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate