Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM

671 posts, read 900,188 times

Advertisements

If I didn't like how a house looked in the pictures online, I wouldn't go see it in person. One picture? I would skip right over yours, especially with "as-is" attached.

Last edited by Shutout; 04-23-2015 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
So trying to sell the townhouse I bought in 2008. The agent posted one picture on MRIS, which was from the 2008 listing.... She thinks painting the whole house and lowering the price is the answer. While painting will help.
What it sounds to me like, is the agent believes that the pictures are not going to sell the home, until the owner spends some time and money repainting the home. Pictures now may be a problem, as they will show the current condition of the home and make it look like a fixer upper. 20 or 30 pictures like the owner wants, will turn off buyers, not attract them.

A multiple picture spread of a home, is never done by a knowledgeable Realtor of a home that will not look great, sparkling and glamorous in pictures. Pictures will show the problems, such as a home needs painted, etc. They don't want to show a home has such problems, especially when they believe the home is over priced. All that will do, is drive away potential buyers. The OP is lucky to have a Realtor that knows this, and has told him/her what the problems are.

Remember: A picture shows the condition of the home and pictures that show deferred maintenance, will turn off buyers with the exception of DIY crowd and flippers. And the DIY crowd and flippers are going to want to almost steal the house with a real low ball price. I know as I went into the real estate business as a commercial/investment broker in 1972 and stayed till I retired. I have bought many homes such as the one owned by the OP. My standard offer was 21% under the market value, and a lot of sellers got desperate enough to take me up on my offers. I had a part time crew that worked as needed, who could put such a home into top condition very quickly and at minimum cost. Then sell it to one of my investors, and make a good return on my money for me, and a good deal for an investor that was buying single family home for rental to solid middle class tenants.

Don't insist on pictures that will show the problems such as needing repainted, until you have got the home in condition to sell. Rule of Thumb: If you want great pictures, get it in shape to look good in pictures.

And expecting the agent to put a lot of pictures of a home that is not in condition to look good in pictures on the MLS, is not sensible. Especially if the owner is wanting a higher price, than an experienced agent knows it will sell for. To get a premium price, the home has to look especially good in great condition. Not one that needs sprucing up.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I get so tired of people saying "painting is an easy fix." No, it isn't, and it isn't cheap, either. And the buyer should paint it (if it's so "easy") to his or her own taste. When did people start expecting "used" houses to be perfect? I don't remember exactly, but it's a very unhealthy trend.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
In my part of the world, one photo means extreme fixer/teardown, or possibly short sale. So that seems very very odd.
Or a hoarder.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:14 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Pictures now may be a problem, as they will show the current condition of the home and make it look like a fixer upper. 20 or 30 pictures like the owner wants, will turn off buyers, not attract them.
The home is what it is. People will see it anyway when they visit.

Dont waste the realtor's time by showing people a house that they dont want just because they wanted to see inside because there was no photo. If she gets investor offers, so what. Its better than no offer.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I get so tired of people saying "painting is an easy fix." No, it isn't, and it isn't cheap, either.
$10 gallon at walmart. Colorplace. Yes its cheap and people like freshly painted houses. I use walmart paint in my rentals when people move out. Gives the home the new smell and covers odors of previous people.

Kind of like new car smell in a used car. People like that stuff.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So I listed my townhouse for sale 16 days ago. The realtor is my best friend.
I haven't read your whole thread but, for the sake of your friendship, you need to find a new real estate agent.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I get so tired of people saying "painting is an easy fix." No, it isn't, and it isn't cheap, either. And the buyer should paint it (if it's so "easy") to his or her own taste. When did people start expecting "used" houses to be perfect? I don't remember exactly, but it's a very unhealthy trend.
I don't need perfect. I prefer a realistic price instead. I'm in the school of leave it alone I rather buy as is if the price is realistic. Painting doesn't mean I'm gonna pay 10k more

Old 04-24-2015, 12:41 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Looks like you have a lazy realtor. I agree with other posters. If she doesn't realize who the boss is by now ,she isn't worth a crap. Ask one more time and qualify it by saying that if she doesn't want the listing you can throw it to someone who wants it.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:14 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
$10 gallon at walmart. Colorplace. Yes its cheap and people like freshly painted houses. I use walmart paint in my rentals when people move out. Gives the home the new smell and covers odors of previous people.

Kind of like new car smell in a used car. People like that stuff.
The cost of the paint is not the issue. It is the cost of hiring someone to do the painting. The quote I got was over $2k. On a house I am already losing money on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate