Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

So I listed my townhouse for sale 16 days ago. The realtor is my best friend. She helped me with the purchase of the new house, so I allowed her to list the townhouse.

Let me first say, I have lots of experience with real estate. I just bought my 5th house and I looked at over 500 houses between buying the fourth and fifth houses.

So trying to sell the townhouse I bought in 2008. The agent posted one picture on MRIS, which was from the 2008 listing. She was upset when I told her that I wanted a current photo, as I have since replaced all the landscaping and added landscape rocks. She argues that the photo is not the issue. She thinks painting the whole house and lowering the price is the answer. While painting will help. I only priced it $4k over what a two bedroom house just sold for. I am selling a 3 bedroom and included room to negotiate.

I disagree with her. I think one old photo is a huge issue. She should have 20-30 spectacular photos on the listing. The neighborhood offers a pool, walking trails, bike trails and play grounds. I think these should all be included in photos. I replaced the hvac system and hot water heater a few years ago. That was a huge expense that should be listed. I had to force her to add it as one of 3 sentences in her listing.

The house has a microwave but she did not list it. My argument is every positive should be included.

Granted I am not the most tactful person, but when you are dealing with a huge chunk of my money. I want you to put your very best into marketing my house. I am not a professional and if I am pointing this stuff out, clearly others are being turned off by the same things.

Am I being demanding or unreasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:54 AM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
In my part of the world, one photo means extreme fixer/teardown, or possibly short sale. So that seems very very odd.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
In my part of the world, one photo means extreme fixer/teardown, or possibly short sale. So that seems very very odd.
Agreed. In my world to. Something I said several times, in three different ways and have got resistance. I am going to tell her tonight that if she is unable to acquire the 20-30 pictures herself, to please hire a professional.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
They are doing a lazy and poor job in marketing. It's not that hard to take more photos

Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 AM

139 posts, read 314,064 times
We've bought 2 homes in the past. Listings with only 1 photo were only really considered after viewing the listings that had 20+. I think some realtors think doing that forces people to go view the property, but in reality, it's annoying to the buyer and could save both parties some time. I and like another mentioned, I think it causes a buyer to assume the interior of the home is subpar.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Your best friend is lazy and incompetent.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Is she giving you a deal on the commission? Just trying to figure out why she's doing such a poor job.

I'd take the photos myself, email them to her, and insist she add them to the listing. Even an iPhone can take good pics these days.

What city / area are you in? Is your market that hot that she doesn't have to worry.

BTW, fresh paint always helps!

Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Is she giving you a deal on the commission? Just trying to figure out why she's doing such a poor job.

I'd take the photos myself, email them to her, and insist she add them to the listing. Even an iPhone can take good pics these days.

What city / area are you in? Is your market that hot that she doesn't have to worry.

BTW, fresh paint always helps!
That ^^

Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Let me first say, I have lots of experience with real estate. I just bought my 5th house and I looked at over 500 houses between buying the fourth and fifth houses.
This sounds like you're probably a difficult person to work for/ hard to please. I'm just guessing and don't mean it as an insult so please don't take it as one.

So trying to sell the townhouse I bought in 2008. The agent posted one picture on MRIS, which was from the 2008 listing.... She thinks painting the whole house and lowering the price is the answer. While painting will help.
[/quote] It's possible you're both right. I definitely agree that multiple and updated photos are important. You may also need to lower the price and paint the house but I can't really answer that as I've never seen it and I'm not familiar with your market.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:41 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So I listed my townhouse for sale 16 days ago. The realtor is my best friend. She helped me with the purchase of the new house, so I allowed her to list the townhouse.

So trying to sell the townhouse I bought in 2008. The agent posted one picture on MRIS, which was from the 2008 listing. She was upset when I told her that I wanted a current photo, as I have since replaced all the landscaping and added landscape rocks. She argues that the photo is not the issue. She thinks painting the whole house and lowering the price is the answer. While painting will help. I only priced it $4k over what a two bedroom house just sold for. I am selling a 3 bedroom and included room to negotiate.

I disagree with her. I think one old photo is a huge issue. She should have 20-30 spectacular photos on the listing. The neighborhood offers a pool, walking trails, bike trails and play grounds. I think these should all be included in photos. I replaced the hvac system and hot water heater a few years ago. That was a huge expense that should be listed. I had to force her to add it as one of 3 sentences in her listing.

The house has a microwave but she did not list it. My argument is every positive should be included.

Granted I am not the most tactful person, but when you are dealing with a huge chunk of my money. I want you to put your very best into marketing my house. I am not a professional and if I am pointing this stuff out, clearly others are being turned off by the same things.

Am I being demanding or unreasonable?
She works for you so she does as you ask or she no longer works for you and you find someone else who will do as you ask.
When it comes to business you should not be dealing with friends or family simply because some cannot separate their emotions for what they are being paid to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate