Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:21 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
They accepted! They were late in responding, but I signed some paperwork amending the time requirements of the offer. They want to close before the end of the month, which is fine with me, too. It's going to be challenging to get everything done, and pack in such a short time, but I can do it. I'm on Cloud Nine. What an emotional rollercoaster.

I really lucked out this time.
NICE! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:35 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
NICE! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it!
Thanks!
Quote:
Yesterday I didn't want to hear anyone tell me that "these things generally happen for a reason" or "something even better will come along" but today, I'm finding myself feeling more level-headed about the situation.
Believe me, I understand! I made an offer on a house that I thought was perfect, last fall, but didn't get it because someone else made a higher bid than I was willing to match. I got a lot of "everything happens for a reason" and it was hard to stomach. But maybe they were right; the house I did get, is cheaper and a better match to what I really wanted.

Good luck and I hope the perfect house for you comes along soon.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Just an update on this one -- the house sold for $22K over asking price, just like the listing agent had said.

Throughout the process, my realtor checked in with the listing agent to see how everything was going while the home was under contract, just on the off chance that the deal fell through. Everything makes more sense now -- the day that I submitted my offer, the listing agent also received another offer, but told the other party to "give him their best and final offer" and then the sellers accepted the other offer when the other party came back with their $22K over asking price offer. At least it all makes sense now. At first, I was given the impression that this random $22K over asking price offer just happened to come in on its own.

With that said, I still haven't found my next home, but I also don't feel too badly about not getting this one. I'll eventually find something!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Just an update on this one -- the house sold for $22K over asking price, just like the listing agent had said.

Throughout the process, my realtor checked in with the listing agent to see how everything was going while the home was under contract, just on the off chance that the deal fell through. Everything makes more sense now -- the day that I submitted my offer, the listing agent also received another offer, but told the other party to "give him their best and final offer" and then the sellers accepted the other offer when the other party came back with their $22K over asking price offer. At least it all makes sense now. At first, I was given the impression that this random $22K over asking price offer just happened to come in on its own.

With that said, I still haven't found my next home, but I also don't feel too badly about not getting this one. I'll eventually find something!
Yes you will!!! You never know when a great house for you might appear on the market.

For me, it happened just when I had given up completely and started spending money on other things. I first saw that "For Sale" sign at 8 PM on May 1st, about an hour after it was put up. When I saw it, I shrieked and it was not in glee! I was exhausted and also had spent a lot in the prior week, so the timing was awful. "How could this happen NOW, of all times!", I blubbered. The owners of that house had lived there 40+ years, and I assumed they would never sell so I had never even thought this could happen.

However, within the hour I pulled myself together and fired off an e-mail to my realtor. He responded within 3 minutes and jumped right on it, getting us an appointment as the first showing. The rest has been a dream come true. I'm ready to move and just waiting for closing (which has been delayed).

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 06-06-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Omg....not get emotional over a home????? To me that would be equivalent to not getting emotional over a marriage

Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
I had been casually looking for homes in a great area in my city and bid on two properties (missing out due to basing my bids on comp's and going below asking).....

Finally by chance the perfect home came up, but the HUGE detached garage wasn't valued into the comp's like I thought it should be. (Would cost over 30k to build one like it)

What did I do? Bid asking price, then found out there were 4 other bidders. I took 1/4 the cost of building a new garage and added it to my offer as highest and best even before anyone could submit theirs and it was accepted. In the end I went $8,000 over listing price, but it has totally been worth it. A neighbors home just went on sale and was sold within a week for $20,000 over what I paid last fall and this particular home didn't have a renovated kitchen like mine.

All in, feeling quite good about the purchase even though I went over asking price. Market is super hot here in the spring/summer now.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I had been casually looking for homes in a great area in my city and bid on two properties (missing out due to basing my bids on comp's and going below asking).....

Finally by chance the perfect home came up, but the HUGE detached garage wasn't valued into the comp's like I thought it should be. (Would cost over 30k to build one like it)

What did I do? Bid asking price, then found out there were 4 other bidders. I took 1/4 the cost of building a new garage and added it to my offer as highest and best even before anyone could submit theirs and it was accepted. In the end I went $8,000 over listing price, but it has totally been worth it. A neighbors home just went on sale and was sold within a week for $20,000 over what I paid last fall and this particular home didn't have a renovated kitchen like mine.

All in, feeling quite good about the purchase even though I went over asking price. Market is super hot here in the spring/summer now.
That is terrific Suncc49!! Great strategy and it worked.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 PM

I thought about this post today.

Just want to update everyone, since i really appreciated the encouragement especially when I was bummed about being outbid on the original house that caused me to make this post. I thought about this post because I just closed on my (now former) townhouse (as a seller) since I BOUGHT A HOUSE LAST MONTH.

The funny thing about the house that I bought is that I can step out onto my deck and see the original house that caused me to write this post. A few months later, an even better house in the same neighborhood came on the market, I put in an offer, and the seller accepted. I did not pay $20K over asking and my new house is one street "above" the other house (on a hill) and has an awesome mountain view -- much better than the house I didn't get. I also like the layout more, it has a larger yard, and the finishes on the interior aren't as fancy, which I see as a positive, since I can eventually customize to fit my needs.

So yeah, IT ALL WORKED OUT.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:02 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:

Just want to update everyone, since i really appreciated the encouragement especially when I was bummed about being outbid on the original house that caused me to make this post. I thought about this post because I just closed on my (now former) townhouse (as a seller) since I BOUGHT A HOUSE LAST MONTH.

The funny thing about the house that I bought is that I can step out onto my deck and see the original house that caused me to write this post. A few months later, an even better house in the same neighborhood came on the market, I put in an offer, and the seller accepted. I did not pay $20K over asking and my new house is one street "above" the other house (on a hill) and has an awesome mountain view -- much better than the house I didn't get. I also like the layout more, it has a larger yard, and the finishes on the interior aren't as fancy, which I see as a positive, since I can eventually customize to fit my needs.

Congratulations! I also finally found a house after looking for years. It's not perfect, but it has most of what I want. I didn't fall in love with it when I first saw it, but I liked it and felt like it had potential and I could just update it the way I wanted after I bought it. So I've already done a few things, but I'll have to do the rest at a later time so that I don't run out of money. Enjoy your new home!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

Good for you! Thanks for the update, and enjoy your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate