Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 PM

102 posts, read 244,494 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving down to southern Utah soon after I graduate from college. My starting salary would be about 50k. My boyfriend would also contribute about 15-20k a year. I want to get an apartment at first and try to save as much money as possible for a few years for a down payment on a house.

If I saved like 50k for a down payment do you think I could afford a home in the 200,000 range? I have no debt and I don't plan on having kids ever. I've seen some 200k homes that are really nice.

The average income in St George (southern Utah) is about 48k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
I bought a house zero down VA loan ( 7% mtg in 1997 ) when I was making $50K a year as an electrician. Single guy good credit and no other bills / payments or debt.

Easily qualified ... could have borrowed more, but found a house for around $155K and that was that. Payments / ins and tax were I think $1150-1200 month

Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM

147 posts, read 212,581 times
Sounds like a legit plan. 2.5-3X salary is a good benchmark, although it really depends on other debt.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:07 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
I am thinking of moving down to southern Utah soon after I graduate from college. My starting salary would be about 50k. My boyfriend would also contribute about 15-20k a year. I want to get an apartment at first and try to save as much money as possible for a few years for a down payment on a house.

If I saved like 50k for a down payment do you think I could afford a home in the 200,000 range? I have no debt and I don't plan on having kids ever. I've seen some 200k homes that are really nice.

The average income in St George (southern Utah) is about 48k
Oh My..You must be younger...In order to afford to live with any income..It only means to spend less than you make monthly...geesh..It's not rocket science..??

First use rules of thumb..overhead should never exceed 25% of monthly income..then next use credit cards with agenda to pay it off monthly..Make up a list of bills's coming in monthly ( inclusive of rent/mortgage..insurance, car payments, credit card payments, utility costs aka heat hydro) then always try to put away something..whether it's 10 to 20 bucks or NOT..Stay away from frivolous spending ...

It's pretty well a no brainer...Then of course @ 50 Grand a year..It's always tempting to spend away.....I worked for over 35 years full time and never reached that mark until I was in my mid-fifties....How Did I manage?..Simple..I budgeted! and socked away every cent I could..which I know am being supported by in my Retirement.....

Sit down a figure it out..Circumstances can change for the good..or for the Bad..Hedge your bets and always have a nest egg....Most of all make sure you have HC Insurance!!!!

ETA~~ Just noted that you are living with someone too..Don't count 100% on that relationship to last..It may or may not..DO NOT get tied to this person that puts you at risk..make sure that person is being just as responsible as yourself...Worst case scenario..They could leave you holding the bag..It's never expected..But happens more than you know...Always look at the Risk Factors and think possible Worse Case Scenario...to be self-protective....I do wish you luck tho..Sounds good on the surface..Time will tell..Proof in the pudding!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 05-02-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 05:32 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Affordability Calculator

https://www.chase.com/mortgage/mortg...ity-calculator

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
It depends on what you spend. I know people who can afford a house making $30k a year, and others making twice that who could never afford the same house.

Write down your take home pay, and write down your expenses. Every single one, including toothpaste. Then you can figure out how much you can afford.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 PM

224 posts, read 456,245 times
Calculating your expenses is an excelent idea for ballparking.

It sounds like you already have a better plan though, Take the job and live there for a few years and see what your savings looks like. You might not remember every dime you spent on toothpaste, but your tax return will. If you keep living within your student budget you should realize very nice savings growth with $50k. Prove to yourself you can do it, take that knowledge and act accordingly!

As mentioned previously, only use credit you can afford to pay off completely every month, pay down those student loans, and don't go buy a new car! Your credit will thank you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate