Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Looks like I stirred up some interesting real estate agency debate

I guess I was wrong by mentioning what I thought the house might be worth at the time of the initial offer because I didn't do enough research on the area. This was kind of like a home we 'fell in love with' and didn't do enough digging before placing the first offer. After the initial offer and looking at some comps I think my first offer is a reasonable price. I don't want to overpay even though we like the home so I'm willing to walk away if they don't budge. The town that the home is in is not desirable but it is in the most desirable area of that town...if that makes sense.

In this situation would removing the offer and submitting a slightly lower offer be effective or would this offend the seller?
When you made the offer and signed the "Offer to Purchase" (NOT the final "Purchase" contract), you put down a "good faith" deposit with that offer, right? And you have maybe 10 business days to get the home inspected by inspectors you hire...have you done that yet?

Where I live, you can "get out of" the obligation to buy, the "offer to purchase" (NOT our of the final purchase agreement) if anything in the inspector's report is not to your liking. Do NOT allow the seller or the seller's agent to be present during your private inspections! The seller's agent may insist on "being on the property" while the inspection is taking place; have her/him wait in their car. This is your report and yours only.

So, after the inspection deadline, if something is wrong with the house, anything at all, if you still want the house rescind your offer in writing through your lawyer,*** get your deposit back, and make another signed "offer to purchase" with the price you want, citing in writing that such and such needs to be done (anything from electrical to pointing the chimney to whatever). The seller may elect to get estimates for the work needing to be done and then deduct those costs from the sell price.

If the seller declines to adjust the price, walk away for a few weeks and see if it sells. You can always go back in with your best offer, and by then the seller may be desperate and your deal is a go.

***I would never let a RE agent get involved in any legal aspect whatsoever. After he/she submits your initial "Offer to Purchase" with your deposit, mum's the word! Do not say a word to anyone about anything. All negotiations should go btwn your RE lawyer and the seller's, and every smallest negotiation signed on the "Offer to Purchase" agreement finally signed by both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
LOL.
And the plot thickens...

Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Quote:
I put an offer on a home I was interested in for 10% lower then offer price

I told my agent what the max I would probably want to pay for it

When I spoke with her she apparently told the sellers agent this price and then they gave a counter offer at around 10k higher then my max price

Is this normal? I was actually hoping to not pay that price at all and i'm not even sure if it is worth it

For now i'm just sticking with my original offer and a bit ticked off that my agent told the sellers agent this information. Should I go with a new agent due to this issue?
Not the ethical way for a real estate agent to act.
Get a new one.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:35 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When you made the offer and signed the "Offer to Purchase" (NOT the final "Purchase" contract), you put down a "good faith" deposit with that offer, right? And you have maybe 10 business days to get the home inspected by inspectors you hire...have you done that yet?

Where I live, you can "get out of" the obligation to buy, the "offer to purchase" (NOT our of the final purchase agreement) if anything in the inspector's report is not to your liking. Do NOT allow the seller or the seller's agent to be present during your private inspections! The seller's agent may insist on "being on the property" while the inspection is taking place; have her/him wait in their car. This is your report and yours only.

So, after the inspection deadline, if something is wrong with the house, anything at all, if you still want the house rescind your offer in writing through your lawyer,*** get your deposit back, and make another signed "offer to purchase" with the price you want, citing in writing that such and such needs to be done (anything from electrical to pointing the chimney to whatever). The seller may elect to get estimates for the work needing to be done and then deduct those costs from the sell price.

If the seller declines to adjust the price, walk away for a few weeks and see if it sells. You can always go back in with your best offer, and by then the seller may be desperate and your deal is a go.

***I would never let a RE agent get involved in any legal aspect whatsoever. After he/she submits your initial "Offer to Purchase" with your deposit, mum's the word! Do not say a word to anyone about anything. All negotiations should go btwn your RE lawyer and the seller's, and every smallest negotiation signed on the "Offer to Purchase" agreement finally signed by both parties.
Amazing how it gets dumb and dumber. You of course realize that in most of the US we don't use lawyers in the sales process? That there is only one form...here the Residential Purchase Agreement. That in general you simply request fixes and then negotiate a them or a sum of money to compensate? That sometimes sellers will not negotiate so you have to decide whether to take it as it is or walk? Do you understand that sometimes you can make a dozen offers...most above list..and be turned down every time?

The general rule is play it straight to whatever the local rules are...those who don't end up homeless.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:40 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

As a buyer you can't insist that they not be there. While many sellers choose to leave, some find it too hard to be gone for three hours for the inspection so they stay in the house. I'd never wait in my car if my sellers wanted me in their home during the inspection.

That would be a red flag for a totally unreasonable buyer out here.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
I put an offer on a home I was interested in for 10% lower then offer price

I told my agent what the max I would probably want to pay for it

When I spoke with her she apparently told the sellers agent this price and then they gave a counter offer at around 10k higher then my max price

Is this normal? I was actually hoping to not pay that price at all and i'm not even sure if it is worth it

For now i'm just sticking with my original offer and a bit ticked off that my agent told the sellers agent this information. Should I go with a new agent due to this issue?
Never tell anyone your real bottom line. Not the judge, not your boss, not your lawyer, no one.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Never tell anyone your real bottom line. Not the judge, not your boss, not your lawyer, no one.
^^^^ So true. Even if they are supposed to keep that info private. Sometimes they tell someone else. And others might overhear a conversation.

Once someone knows your bottom line(such as your realtor), human nature will have them attempting to get that bottom line instead of something better for you.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:10 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^^ So true. Even if they are supposed to keep that info private. Sometimes they tell someone else. And others might overhear a conversation.

Once someone knows your bottom line(such as your realtor), human nature will have them attempting to get that bottom line instead of something better for you.
I will add that what you think is your bottom line can change as evidenced by the OPs change of heart. All parties to any transaction would be prudent to not draw a mental line in the sand beforehand. There is no upside.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:13 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
I once bought a property because I overheard the re agent and buyer talking
about his offer in a donut shop. I had made an offer, too. So I upped it.

Never discuss price in a public place.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:41 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I once bought a property because I overheard the re agent and buyer talking about his offer in a donut shop. I had made an offer, too. So I upped it.

Never discuss price in a public place.
When in negotiations, there's nothing better than getting inside information--in your case, inside a donut shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate