Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times

Advertisements

My grandmother left her house in her will to her two daughters (my mother and my aunt) and me (her granddaughter). My aunt had no interest in living in the house, and hasn't had any involvement at all in its upkeep or paying taxes, repairs, etc. for the last 20 years. And, this arrangement has been fine with us all; no personal disputes involved, my aunt just doesn't care to be involved with home ownership. There is no lien on the house, the mortgage has been paid off for a very long time.

My aunt now wishes to "have her name taken off the house" (she doesn't consider herself a co-owner, but legally she is of course).

Can someone describe to me what an "arms length" transaction is and what it would mean (or not mean) in this situation? What's the process of removing a tenant in common so that ownership of the house reverts to the other two tenants in common? We basically know nothing about real estate law or how to go about doing this. Does this simply involve filing a quit claim deed? What questions should I ask the lawyer?

Last edited by Jeromeville; 05-07-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Are you going to be paying her for her share? Normally, you'd get an appraisal and then pay her 1/3 of the value, give or take any other financial arrangements between you. But it sounds like she doesn't really want to get paid? You may still want to pay her some type of nominal consideration, just so that the arrangement can withstand scrutiny. The actual paperwork to get the deed changed, the attorney should be able to explain all of that to you.

You probably need to talk to an accountant as well as an attorney though, because 1/3 of the value of a house essentially gifted by your aunt to you and your mother may have tax implications.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Yes, as emm74 says, a lot of factors here. Especially if your aunt has heirs such as children. Attorney time.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:18 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
The process to transfer a Tenants in Common ownership is basically the same as transferring any other type of ownership. Your aunt would merely need to grant a Deed to the intended recipient(s) and have that recorded. A Quit Claim Deed would likely be sufficient, but double check that with your attorney. (I'm assuming that you are fully knowledgeable about all other aspects concerning the title and it is clear to convey. Nonetheless, you should double check what is recorded relative to the property. You will also need to see the Deed conveying the interest to your aunt to make sure that her name is indicated the same on the new Deed.)

First question: were the ownership interests equal? It sounds as if they most likely were, but you'd need to confirm that since Tenants in Common do not need to own equal portions of a property.

There may be gift tax consequences, so that's another thing you'd need to check with your attorney. There's a chance that you might fall under a lifetime exclusion, but you'd need to verify that. If gift taxes are an issue, you may want to try to calculate all of the expenses that your aunt didn't pay over the years and use those figures to adjust what is truly a gift. Those unpaid expenses may also be a consideration if you are planning to pay for your aunt's interest. (Of course, if you've had the benefit of living there, that may fall into the mix, too.)

That fact that you are related to your aunt disqualifies this as being an "arms-length" transaction. That aspect is irrelevant to your situation. This should be an easy transaction for your real estate attorney to handle. Whether you pay for the property or not will not affect the actual transfer. It also shouldn't matter whether your aunt has any heirs. As long as the property is in her name, and she is still alive, she is free to dispose of her assets without taking any heirs into account.

Note: if she were to die, however, her Tenants in Common interest would go to her heirs.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 05-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: note

Old 05-07-2015, 03:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Don't forget that if you and your mom have been paying the taxes repairs etc there is monetary value on that also should be payable to you from the estate.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:36 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Don't forget that if you and your mom have been paying the taxes repairs etc there is monetary value on that also should be payable to you from the estate.
In all likelihood, the estate was probably closed years ago so there would be nothing to disburse. However, taking into account the monetary value of all of the taxes, insurance, repairs, etc., would still be a good idea in valuing either a purchase or gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate