Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 04:22 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,105 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at several properties here in Phoenix (specifically, north of the valley, in the rural areas), and a few of them have existing horse stalls, the circular pen, etc. None of them have enclosed barns or whatnot, just the stuff that's essentially some posts in the ground with a corrugated steel roof over them. Example photos -

In case it isn't already obvious, I really don't have a clue about horse ownership, or what equipment is needed to keep them (or what they're called, other than "that circular...run...thing!" ). I've often thought that it would be really nifty to have a couple horses, but considering that I have a hard enough time keeping pet fish alive, horses realistically just aren't in my future, despite other people raving about how great it is to have horses at home all the time, lol.

One particular property I'm looking at I like, but felt the price was roughly 20K too high compared to other properties in the area. But then I started wondering if this horse equipment is the reason for the higher price? Does the presence of this kind of stuff really make a big difference in the value of the home? Obviously, it doesn't add any value to _me_, but then a pool doesn't add value to me either, but generally does to a lot of other people. In my case, I thought I may be able to enclose the stalls, and make it into a shed of some sort, but I'd be more likely to just remove it all and build a large shop space in place of them.

I'm not going to pay an extra 20K for equipment I'll never use, but I'm still curious how this stuff may affect the value of a home.

Of course, it could just be that this place has a cruddy realtor, and recommended an asking price that's way high too, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 04:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
I guess it could be worth more to someone who is looking for a property and a place to keep their horses. IMO, I would rather have an actual barn versus the outdoor pens you showed in the picture. A barn can be used for many things, not just animals.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:06 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
That set up is called a mare motel. It has nothing to do with the sex of the horses, just what it's called. They are very common in warm, dry type climates- you'll see them all over in CA, AZ, etc. They're used just to keep shade available and somewhere to protect from occasional rain. To someone who has horses, it's a ready made horse facility.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:21 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Either you or the current owners could sell the mare motels and the round pen since they can probably be dismantled. Or, you could keep these features in case you want to sell as a horse property in the future, as they do add value in an equestrian neighborhood.

The current owners would not be likely to do the dismantling until you close on the property, though, since they might be afraid you would pull out of the deal at the last minute and leave them at a loss.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
The pens in the photo are portable and will be taken by the seller unless it is very specific in the contract that they will be left.

Horse properties are often a bit more expensive because they are usually level and in better neighborhoods near open areas for riding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate