Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nice floor.

It sounds like your house was the main farm house and then the farm was split up and developed.
That's exactly what it was. I've been trying to find old photos showing it as it was back then but haven't had luck yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Our realtor has said she doesn't think removing the microwave would make a difference, but I've heard that suggestion from SO many people that it seems reasonable. The only problem is I don't think I can lift it myself and take it to the basement when we have same-day showings.
There are many cheap microwaves ($50-$60) at Walmart and other types of stores that carry such things. My suggestion is to put the large microwave in the basement for the duration, and use the new small one you purchase for yourself while you await a buyer. The small ones are very easy to move and possibly could even fit in a large lower cabinet when you want to put it away for a showing.

I'm aware this solution is not free, but it is a solution, and I also think the microwave on the counter makes the kitchen look much less useful and crowded.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There are many cheap microwaves ($50-$60) at Walmart and other types of stores that carry such things. My suggestion is to put the large microwave in the basement for the duration, and use the new small one you purchase for yourself while you await a buyer. The small ones are very easy to move and possibly could even fit in a large lower cabinet when you want to put it away for a showing.

I'm aware this solution is not free, but it is a solution, and I also think the microwave on the counter makes the kitchen look much less useful and crowded.
Perhaps not free, but more than reasonable cost for home staging!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 PM

465 posts, read 613,721 times
The problem is counter space and possibly the narrow space between the oven and sink. Not much you can do about that so I wonder if doing other things will make people over look that. Removing the microwave is a good idea. Maybe you can just put it on a rollaway kitchen cart (cheap) this way you still can use your microwave but hide it away when you have showings. The idea of extending counter space by the window is a great idea. Or just buy an island. That is a rather large window which is great but would be hard to add counter space. Move the paper towel holder. It is a cute kitchen and looks very clean. I'm not a fan myself of butcher style counter tops but it really does give it character and they look very nice. I would ask your realtor for feedback, to find out what people are saying about your house. Do most buyers prefer granite? Have an open house and your realtor can get feedback from other realtors/buyers.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Does the oven door open all the way? It looks very narrow! If the tiles are 12 inches, is there about 2 1/2 feet between sink and oven?

It would be expensive for you to replace that window and fix the siding. But would the fridge fit in the pantry? Or a counter depth fridge? What sort of price drops are we talking? Is it worth spending $10,000 on a smaller fridge and some rewiring and a few cabinets? Will that even make it feel any wider?

If you're losing a lot of money you could bite the bullet, shrink that window, move the sink to under the window, move the stove to the same wall as the sink, put the fridge in the pantry and on the opposite wall (where the stove is now) have wall depth cabinets, a mix of full height and base and uppers.

The way the cabinets currently shrink and swell from side to side screams AWKWARD! It tells people there's something wrong, whereas if they face a perfectly normal run of cabinets and appliances and then turn around and see a wall of more storage with things like the coffee machine on the narrow bench it would seem more natural.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Thanks! We just keep getting consistent feedback of "it shows very well, but they thought the kitchen was too small." Butcher block feels more consistent with the style of the house and granite is not necessarily expected at this price. I will still ask, though, in case it could help. I would really prefer more actionable feedback, though maybe people just don't care enough to give more detail if it didn't pique their interest.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Does the oven door open all the way? It looks very narrow!

It would be expensive for you to replace that window and fix the siding. But would the fridge fit in the pantry? Or a counter depth fridge? What sort of price drops are we talking? Is it worth spending $10,000 on a smaller fridge and some rewiring and a few cabinets? Will that even make it feel any wider?
LOL, yes, it opens just fine. I think the photos actually make it look a bit more narrow than it really is, but that doesn't seem to matter since people are still saying "too small" after they visit. There is no other place for the fridge, unfortunately.

We have cut the price by $20k so far. ($239k starting and it's at $219k now). Unfortunately a huge loss, as we bought it for 280k.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Sorry, I posted more while you were answering!

Quote:
Does the oven door open all the way? It looks very narrow! If the tiles are 12 inches, is there about 2 1/2 feet between sink and oven?

If you're losing a lot of money you could bite the bullet, shrink that window, move the sink to under the window, move the stove to the same wall as the sink, put the fridge in the pantry and on the opposite wall (where the stove is now) have wall depth cabinets, a mix of full height and base and uppers.

The way the cabinets currently shrink and swell from side to side screams AWKWARD! It tells people there's something wrong, whereas if they face a perfectly normal run of cabinets and appliances and then turn around and see a wall of more storage with things like the coffee machine on the narrow bench it would seem more natural.
I looked at the pic again. How old are the cabinets? They look 40s or 50s? Are they built in place? If you could get them off the walls I'd be very tempted to swap the oven side ones for the fridge side ones to stop that wavering back and forth effect. Is there a door back next to that open shelved pantry? Could it be blocked off?

I was hoping you'd say it was a half million dollar house.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Our realtor has said she doesn't think removing the microwave would make a difference,
It won't, and it might make things worse with people wondering where they are going to put their microwave.

What I don't get is since they've seen the photos they can't be surprised that it's small. A concern would be if you open the oven and there is no room to stand in front of it, it's hard to tell from the angles in the pictures.

I would have painted the room white or off white, with a warmer tone trim.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It won't, and it might make things worse with people wondering where they are going to put their microwave.

What I don't get is since they've seen the photos they can't be surprised that it's small. A concern would be if you open the oven and there is no room to stand in front of it, it's hard to tell from the angles in the pictures.

I would have painted the room white or off white, with a warmer tone trim.
That's what I keep wondering, too! What do they expect? We did not try to hide anything in the photos. It's exactly as shown, if not very slightly bigger. I'm angry that I keep having to spend so much time prepping for people who get here and then complain about things that were evident from the photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate