Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

In my area, the buyers come out in the spring and buy during spring and summer.

I like to buy during bad weather in winter. I can remember one December that I bought a nice little house for a good bargain price and not only was that the only house sold that December, I was the only looker out there. That makes the sellers anxious about selling and more receptive to a low offer.

It's different in a place like Florida where weather is good in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Oh no, it's definitely the cream of the crop that sells around here first within the same price range. I live in a sea of communities so I often see similar priced homes that are almost identical to each other but with different finishes etc. Of course the "prettiest" one with the largest lot sells first over the others similarly priced.
Hmm...are you in the south?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:00 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
Real estate is all about timing according to the types of home, market. SFH in the suburb gets more attention in the Spring. Colder climates, harder to get activities in the winter. The bottom line.. price right and with some luck on your side, a buyer will come along.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:59 AM

39 posts, read 112,039 times
Well I've noticed the opposite which is what made me want to make this post

Seems like the houses selling in fall and winter around here sell for MORE than houses selling now in the spring buying market

lets say a house now and a house in the fall winter went for the same price

the one sold in the spring is not as nice or big etc as the one that sold during the off seasons of fall/winter

so wondering why that is

the only thing i can think of is not many people put their homes up during fall winter so there are much less houses available to pick from

spring the buyers have their pick basically

i mean i cant think of any other explanation why people are getting more money for their homes in the fall or winter than spring

Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
In south Florida winter would be the best time. It's not as hot in case you decide to do the moving yourself. Also we have a Homestead exemption that saves money on your taxes, but it has to start in January, but I read somewhere that they will let you use it that year if you are in by March.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
We listed our home in early February. it was a pain having to deal with weather issues (thankfully no snow), but we did have a leg up on the competition. Competition was relatively light due to people following that "list in spring" rule, so that really helped us by making us look like the best show in town. Our home was under contract by the end of the weekend. Trust me, people are looking in the winter, too. We were one of those people and were disappointed by the thin inventory.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
Maybe in Australia and New Zealand and South America.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think this is VERY regional. And somewhat subjective. And probably changes a bit based on interest rates, supply and demand, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I would think if you are in a cold climate winter is the worst. No one wants to move and have to deal with a possible blizzard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Maybe in Australia and New Zealand and South America.
No one wants people traipsing through their house while it is snowing or the possibility of having to move during the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year). Also the number of daylight hours is limited during the winter in most of North America. Buyers out shopping during the winter are generally more serious as they may be on a time constraint to close and move-in.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:40 PM

39 posts, read 112,039 times
soooo i guess noone knows why houses sell for more money during fall and winter

Old 05-14-2015, 12:43 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksJason View Post
soooo i guess noone knows why houses sell for more money during fall and winter
Apparently not. Why don't you call a local realtor and ask them? Especially the realtors that closed on the sales you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate