Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:56 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
A $115K foreclosure is not likely to be a $300K-$600K client's dream home.

According to Realty Trac's latest April 2015 US Foreclosure Market Report...

Foreclosures hit 18-month high, no longer a bargain

...nationwide, REOs sale prices now average 87 percent of estimated market value.

That means that $115K foreclosure might have a fair market value of $132K.

In most markets, foreclosures are no longer selling for absolute fire-sale, bargain basement prices we saw in the depths of the Great Recession.

If someone put up to $300K into that $115K foreclosure, when they finished they'd probably be sitting on the most over-improved house in the neighborhood, with no hope of ever recouping their investment.

Even in the slowest to recover areas, including: East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania (62 percent REO prices below estimated market value), Akron, Ohio (66 percent below), Atlanta (70 percent below), Cleveland (70 percent below) and Baltimore (74 percent below) that $115K foreclosure might have a fair market value of $185K.

Putting $200-300K into that $115K house to "bring it up to your liking" would still be ill advised.
I think you've take our conversation off topic. Throwing stats at me doesn't take away from the fact that using a minimum purchase price could take a contender out of the game. If you get the specifics regarding the must have list (sq footage, do they want move-in ready, do they want a fixer, beds, baths, commute to work, etc) and their max purchase price, your list will not be long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 AM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post

Who in their right mind wants to sift thru every single listing on the MLS, including ones that are priced ridiculously lower than what the buyer is really looking for?
I am always shocked when I read things like this, because I have never had many houses to "sift thru" once I enter my criteria. DD's school district has 90 listings under our max price. Put in single family, minimum bedrooms, minimum lot size and minimum garage bays and there are 10 listings (360K-550K). Doing a map view for lot location eliminates 5 of those.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I am always shocked when I read things like this, because I have never had many houses to "sift thru" once I enter my criteria. DD's school district has 90 listings under our max price. Put in single family, minimum bedrooms, minimum lot size and minimum garage bays and there are 10 listings (360K-550K). Doing a map view for lot location eliminates 5 of those.
Bingo.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:29 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Often, putting in a bottom price point will weed out clutter.
People want a 2 acre lot? Sure, but they don't want every fixer out there. Once they recognize that nothing they see below a certain point is worth considering for a moment, we put in a floor that works for them.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:25 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Bingo.
You are arguing semantics. If the criterion for the house is size, location, amenity,school district and neighborhood you will most likely be in the upper end of your price range. Of course you can find less expensive but never in the preferred areas.

I'm not a realtor but had family and friends come to town thinking they can get the perfect house in this area of Texas for $150k. In reality what they wanted was in the $350k to $600k range. I had to tell them I'm not going to drive you around looking at crap that you would never buy.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
You are arguing semantics. If the criterion for the house is size, location, amenity,school district and neighborhood you will most likely be in the upper end of your price range. Of course you can find less expensive but never in the preferred areas.

I'm not a realtor but had family and friends come to town thinking they can get the perfect house in this area of Texas for $150k. In reality what they wanted was in the $350k to $600k range. I had to tell them I'm not going to drive you around looking at crap that you would never buy.
No, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a minimum $ range because once you enter all your must have criteria, your list will be very short.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM

183 posts, read 352,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
No, I'm saying that there's no reason to have a minimum $ range because once you enter all your must have criteria, your list will be very short.
But you have to stick with your must have list....I had a client with a large price range and he wanted to see EVERYTHING up to 400K. I put in bdrm count and school zones and it was still a large list. They said they could "live with" things not on their list if the "price was right" which translated to many showings of many types of homes including fixers/older/newer/smaller/larger. Honestly, they probably lost a few good ones because they kept spinning their wheels and changing their requirements and couldn't focus their search. I vetted homes for them based on the criteria given to me, but they also kept pulling up homes on their own via Zillow and demanding to see those as well (which of course they didn't like after seeing them )

Ultimately, they had a deadline to purchase, and that's what drove them to finally buckle down and stop looking at everything. They ended up with a 380K home. I honestly wouldn't have cared if they bought a 200K home but it was just frustrating to see them going around in circles and not taking ANY advice from me until the end.

Guess what I'm saying is have a set of criteria and DON"T keep changing them! It'll make your search for the perfect property a lot easier on all sides!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Darn I saw the title of your post and was gonna tell you about Julia Roberts Hawaii home that is for sale. Reading the title I thought wow this person should take a look at this $30 million beauty. Sure would be nice wouldn't it.

Julia Roberts selling massive Hawaiian estate for $30M | Page Six

Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlym View Post
But you have to stick with your must have list....I had a client with a large price range and he wanted to see EVERYTHING up to 400K. I put in bdrm count and school zones and it was still a large list. They said they could "live with" things not on their list if the "price was right" which translated to many showings of many types of homes including fixers/older/newer/smaller/larger. Honestly, they probably lost a few good ones because they kept spinning their wheels and changing their requirements and couldn't focus their search. I vetted homes for them based on the criteria given to me, but they also kept pulling up homes on their own via Zillow and demanding to see those as well (which of course they didn't like after seeing them )

Ultimately, they had a deadline to purchase, and that's what drove them to finally buckle down and stop looking at everything. They ended up with a 380K home. I honestly wouldn't have cared if they bought a 200K home but it was just frustrating to see them going around in circles and not taking ANY advice from me until the end.

Guess what I'm saying is have a set of criteria and DON"T keep changing them! It'll make your search for the perfect property a lot easier on all sides!
Yeah, that's just insanity, walking them through every home up to their budget. That's wasting everyone's time and money. The rules don't apply for whacky buyers like them. You sound like you had the patience of a saint.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Stipulate the features in the home+property you want. Avoid talking about a price range until you get the lay of the land. You can't out-guess realtors Don't try; just stick to your guns about features, unless you find them unrealistic; then re-calibrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate