Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 AM

146 posts, read 293,924 times

Advertisements

My home was listed on MLS Wednesday and I've had 10 showings in 3 days. There are two more showings today. I received an offer yesterday (Saturday) that I think is too low. All the feedback forms so far say that house is priced just right. I will make a counter offer on Monday.

My question is: Do the best offers tend to come early? If I can't come to an agreement on price with the current offer, have I lost a window of opportunity?

You all have crystal balls, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
There is an old real estate saying:

"The first offer is the best offer."

Some times it is true. Some times it is false.
YMMV.
Not helpful? Sorry. Crystal ball is cloudy and I cannot find my Magic 8 Ball.

More seriously, I would counter right away with an acceptable price, even if it is, "We are early on, and think we have priced it right." The original offer may be low, but this may be your buyer.
This is the buyer, out of 10 showings, that likes your house enough to write an offer.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:04 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I like Mike's advice. But something in the OP's post makes me think that all those showings aren't with actual BUYERS.

OP refers to feedback "forms". Aren't they used exclusively for Realtor showings/caravans? In the hundreds of homes I've viewed as a consumer/buyer/curiosity cat at an open house, I've NEVER received a form. (Except at a builder model home )

If I'm correct and some if those ten showings are just realtor's without their clients, I don't count them as showings.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:22 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I like Mike's advice. But something in the OP's post makes me think that all those showings aren't with actual BUYERS.

OP refers to feedback "forms". Aren't they used exclusively for Realtor showings/caravans? In the hundreds of homes I've viewed as a consumer/buyer/curiosity cat at an open house, I've NEVER received a form. (Except at a builder model home )

If I'm correct and some if those ten showings are just realtor's without their clients, I don't count them as showings.
CSS provides us with templated email forms, if we care to use them when requesting feedback.
I have (rather seldom but I have) seen agents leave forms in a house for "instant feedback."

I assume that the OP was talking about either one of those options.

And, even without using the templated forms, when we use a blank dialogue box for feedback we get something that looks a bit like a form returned.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Your realtor should be giving you advice as he/she should know the market or perhaps know if you should counter the offer.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:36 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times
How was the offer presented? Was it in writing, with the buyers' pre qualification letter and terms regarding $ down, closing date, etc?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:48 AM

146 posts, read 293,924 times
We have not had an open house. These were all potential buyers with their agents, though I think that some may have just been using us for comparison or "just looking".

Most of the showings were booked through an online program called Showing Time. There is a quick 5 question survey that the buyers agent can fill out and send back to sellers agent. My agent forwards them to me.

This was a written offer with prequal, terms, closing date, etc.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glopop11 View Post
We have not had an open house. These were all potential buyers with their agents, though I think that some may have just been using us for comparison or "just looking".

Most of the showings were booked through an online program called Showing Time. There is a quick 5 question survey that the buyers agent can fill out and send back to sellers agent. My agent forwards them to me.

This was a written offer with prequal, terms, closing date, etc.
They sound like they're earnest. Definitely counter. You're still showing the home until an offer is accepted, so it can't hurt to entertain the buyer. Good luck.

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 05-24-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
If you REALLY think you're priced right, counter with the list price. Then you'll know if they are legit.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:21 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
No harm in a strong counter, just to let them know you aren't desperate. This early in the listing, unless you are just way out in left field with your price, offers tend to come in closer to the listing price. This may be a buyer who is fishing for a deal -- well, there's no harm in asking, right? Don't take it personally. :-) Just counter. And you can always take backup offers, in case the buyer gets squirrely during due diligence.

The first offer is usually the best . . . except when it isn't. :-) It's about 60/40 true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate