Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:43 PM

502 posts, read 896,256 times

Advertisements

You have to remember it is a million dollar plus home. They usually take longer to sell. And, if they are taking a year or longer to sell in your area, a year listing makes some sense. It wouldn't be fair to punish the agent for usual market activity.

But, you can just tell him you are more comfortable with 6 months and go from there. I would ask why he wants a year and ask to see stats on how long things are selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Run. Because if you don't follow his demands then how hard do you think he's going to work for you?

The good news is he is not the only game in town and tickets can be purchased elsewhere.

What happens when one gets a Real Estate agent is that agents works FOR the seller or buyer, not the other way around.

Personally I would tell him to take his contract and his stager and show him the door.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Who's the "professional stager"? His wife? His sister-in-law? Just say thanks but no thanks to the staging. And limit the contract to what you think is reasonable. At this point, if he thinks you're working for him instead of the other way around, imagine when it gets farther along in the process and you have disagreements. . .

Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Give him 30 days and 30 day extensions as you see fit.
Yep. That is how I am trending right now.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I'd never give anyone a one year contract. That's just crazy. I've always gone with a 90 day contract, but to be honest, 30 days should be long enough if it's priced correctly and readied for sale. Our last home sold in 5 days, during the crash, when nothing was selling.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:12 PM

10 posts, read 9,810 times
Wonderful responses,our sincere thanks for taking the time. Yes, houses in this area can take a long time to sell. That's why we didn't dismiss him as once. A year is a mighty long realtor contract in my book. Never had one demanded before. We have 8 acres, can't divide or build.not everyone wants that much land.
He says less then a year is not worth his time in this area. As posters said, if we don't "obey" his orders, will he meet our demands and then not work as hard? He came highly recommended by our (gulp) banker. I see a bad moon arisin'.
Leaning toward moving on.
Much obliged.
Huck

Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Shop around for other agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Who's the "professional stager"? His wife? His sister-in-law?
Good point ...

Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Agree to the staging(it does get more buyers interested) but only with a 90 day contract.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Huck View Post
Hello,
, we must pay for upfront,and our home size warrants around a $500 fee to the stager which will be reimbursed when we sell.

that doesn't sound right. Staging is not that cheap. Real staging requires different furniture and obviously yours would have to go into storage. It's an expensive things with movers and trucks having to be paid. So what normally happens on higher end listings is that you are renting furniture that the realtor and his designer think look best for your place.

Sound like he is going to bring someone in and tell you to hide nicknacks and move a little bit of furniture around for $500. I think you would be lucky to get a new throw rug spending that little.

Home sellers spend an average of $1,800 to stage a home, but costs can range from a couple of hundred dollars to $5,000 or more.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I get that a high price acreage may be a long sell as there is a smaller market. He's trying to protect himself from a client with unrealistic expectations and you're trying to protect yourself from a realtor who eats up a year of your time not marketing hard enough.
But if your happy with each other you can just renew contracts. Anyone he's shown the house on a contract will be his sale regardless of whether you switch or not so.......
Having it staged just makes it harder to switch to another realtor doesnt' it?
I'd be reluctant to sign a year contract although I understand why he might want one. You might want to discuss in blunt terms to assure him you are realistic clients who are experience in selling.
BLUF, look around for a different agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate