Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times

Advertisements

You only had to bring 3,200 to closing? Geesh... try bringing $50,000.00 lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:56 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
The devil is in the details. The GFE you received from your bank should have disclosed all of the closing costs up-front. There should be NO surprises from your bank at closing.

When we bought our house, I created a spreadsheet with all the numbers from the GFE and my closing agent/title company, and knew how much I needed to bring to the table (to the penny) before I even reviewed the HUD-1. I asked for a copy of the HUD-1 the day before closing to check their numbers.
That's nice in a perfect world. But why assume it's the bank's surprise? Not all charges are possible to be disclosed and many fall outside of the GFE or the lender's responsibility. I recently reviewed a HUD I for someone that was off almost $5000 and the lender did nothing wrong. The buyer had a $2500 HOA initiation fee (didn't read their docs), $600 quarterly dues, an $800 home inspection fee, a $395 real estate company fee, and finally, a $600 staked survey charge. There was even a notation the survey recert fee w/out stakes was $175.

What is even more difficult in this scenario, the OP wasn't on the loan. It's like playing a game of telephone - he doesn't know what he wasn't told and he wouldn't know to ask. Being the nonpurchasing spouse is a left field situation, because they aren't necessarily included in converstions and all emails.

This is all going away August 1 withTRID, where final disclosures are mandated 72 hours prior to closing. I suspect for the first 30 days, many a postponed closing will be the norm. Try to have your closing occur in July or after Labor Day.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:11 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
That's nice in a perfect world. But why assume it's the bank's surprise? Not all charges are possible to be disclosed and many fall outside of the GFE or the lender's responsibility. I recently reviewed a HUD I for someone that was off almost $5000 and the lender did nothing wrong. The buyer had a $2500 HOA initiation fee (didn't read their docs), $600 quarterly dues, an $800 home inspection fee, a $395 real estate company fee, and finally, a $600 staked survey charge. There was even a notation the survey recert fee w/out stakes was $175.

What is even more difficult in this scenario, the OP wasn't on the loan. It's like playing a game of telephone - he doesn't know what he wasn't told and he wouldn't know to ask. Being the nonpurchasing spouse is a left field situation, because they aren't necessarily included in converstions and all emails.

This is all going away August 1 withTRID, where final disclosures are mandated 72 hours prior to closing. I suspect for the first 30 days, many a postponed closing will be the norm. Try to have your closing occur in July or after Labor Day.
Won't TRID take effect only on applications written after August 1, not just anything closing after August 1?

But, for sure, back to back stuff will turn into nightmares of stress.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

My point is there should be no surprise (or hidden) lender fees. Thats what the GFE is supposed to prevent! Of course, there are costs that you have to anticipate (like pro-rated HOA dues or real estate taxes), and a good closing agent should be able to give rough estimates of these items well ahead of closing. In my state, the title company I chose for my own policy handled closing and my closing agent gave me estimates for pro-rated taxes, transfer taxes, owners/lenders title insurance, and RE agent associated charges more than 2 weeks before closing.

The rest of the items you mentioned are not closing cost surprises. Real estate fixed commissions are disclosed on the buyers agent representation contract--the buyer agreed to the fee when they hired their agent. Home inspections and surveys are paid by buyers, in most cases, BEFORE closing.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Won't TRID take effect only on applications written after August 1, not just anything closing after August 1?

But, for sure, back to back stuff will turn into nightmares of stress.
Yep, TRID should be what cures all evils for all full applications taken after August 1. Not "tbd" addresses, but full legal applications.

We've taken every new rule under the chin so far just fine. This one may be the one that gets the industry to take notice. Most of the other rules have been ho-hum, "is that all you got?" We are a industry that demands complete perfection, but before the fact, LOL? What will we do with our errors and ommissions forms?

I suspect it may be more than the back-to-back stuff. It seems every file I've had lately is urgent because: (insert excuse of choice) leaving the country the next day, having a baby/going into hospital 2 days from now, builder will start charging penalties, it just goes on and on. These are reasons we are hearing why preferential treatment is needed, these are the excuses why we should stop what we are doing and move someone to the front of the line. And it's usually these folks that have issues providing something essential to the closing.

And the ones that are use to providing documents down to the wire are going to be the ones that TRID stings the most. The builder with the occupancy permit in the 11th hour, the final on the repairs on the appraisal, the hazard insurance policy that we couldn't get the binder, or the payoff that someone forgot to order. All we need in this scenario is for a borrower to lose their lock-in and the fun can really begin..

And it won't be August 1 that will be the real date of concern, it will be closings after Labor Day

Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
My point is there should be no surprise (or hidden) lender fees. Thats what the GFE is supposed to prevent! Of course, there are costs that you have to anticipate (like pro-rated HOA dues or real estate taxes), and a good closing agent should be able to give rough estimates of these items well ahead of closing. In my state, the title company I chose for my own policy handled closing and my closing agent gave me estimates for pro-rated taxes, transfer taxes, owners/lenders title insurance, and RE agent associated charges more than 2 weeks before closing.

The rest of the items you mentioned are not closing cost surprises. Real estate fixed commissions are disclosed on the buyers agent representation contract--the buyer agreed to the fee when they hired their agent. Home inspections and surveys are paid by buyers, in most cases, BEFORE closing.
Agreed and absolutley the lender's estimate should be as tight as possible. What I am saying is many of the surprises lately are not even lender related, but other fees altogether. Also, unless we can see how that HUD was laid out and compare it to the GFE, there's no way to see if gross errors were made. Everyone assumes if it's $600 more, it's the lender's fault. I'm saying more and more lenders have their act pulled together, with all the regulation tightening we have seen we have 0 tolerance items and items with 10% tolerance. There is no way to tell what happened with the OP, but it's pretty clear it was not in those tolerence fields.

What I am finding curious, "the bank told them to bring $3200 at worse case" and that's what it was, but because they also said it's usually better, he's upset because it's what they put in writing? The OP doesn't say how much better they were expecting the costs to be.

Did anyone explain to the OP that the first payment won't be due until July 1 (if they closed in May)?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:38 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I'm on my 6th purchased home, and I still get confused with the HUD-1. First time buyers need extreme hand holding on this.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I'm on my 6th purchased home, and I still get confused with the HUD-1. First time buyers need extreme hand holding on this.
I was recently a first time buyer and received my HUD-1 a day or two before we closed. I crunch numbers for a living, so I sat down and went through every line and tied out every number. If someone is not good with numbers or used to reconciling accounts, I can see how it would be confusing. They actually went over every number with me at the closing to make sure I understood. Mine was pretty close to the estimates I received from my loan officer earlier in the process. I ended up needing about $500 less than I anticipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate