Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 12:49 PM

97 posts, read 193,467 times

Advertisements

Our house is for sale, and has been posted all over various local Facebook groups. Someone on one of those groups saw our house and is very interested in buying it. They are coming for a showing tomorrow.

I don't know if they are already working with their own agent, but I do know that our agent is the one who will doing the showing with them tomorrow.

If they do decide to make an offer, is it essential that we ask them to write up their offer with another agent?
What are the pros and cons? If we do let our agent write up the offer and also be the buyer's agent, won't that save us some commission?

We're just trying to think this through beforehand so that if it happens we will know what we want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcar12 View Post
Our house is for sale, and has been posted all over various local Facebook groups. Someone on one of those groups saw our house and is very interested in buying it. They are coming for a showing tomorrow.

I don't know if they are already working with their own agent, but I do know that our agent is the one who will doing the showing with them tomorrow.

If they do decide to make an offer, is it essential that we ask them to write up their offer with another agent?
What are the pros and cons? If we do let our agent write up the offer and also be the buyer's agent, won't that save us some commission?

We're just trying to think this through beforehand so that if it happens we will know what we want to do.
Your agent should have covered this before you signed the listing agreement. Ask them to explain it to you again. There are several possibilities, and you need to know the specifics of your agreement.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:00 PM

97 posts, read 193,467 times
I do know that we would have to give the "ok" for her to write an offer for them. And I know that if we want her to she can have someone else in her office do the offer. That's about all I remember her saying about it.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:04 PM

686 posts, read 1,102,054 times
First, you will owe the same commission no matter who is involved in the transaction. So don't think you are somehow going to save money - your broker is not going to suddenly enter into a dual agency arrangement if these people decide to make an offer.

If your broker brought you a buyer who they also represent, they would have to disclose it to you (and you should have been made aware of dual agency conflicts when you signed your contract with your broker). Personally, I only deal with buyer brokers (when I am looking/buying a house) who do nothing but represent buyers. Similarly, I would not want to list my property with a broker who also represents buyers AND wants to bring their buyers to me. No thanks.

You say people are coming to a showing. What usually happens when someone comes to an open house? If they have a buyer broker, if they don't visit the open house with their broker, they should notify the listing agent of such, especially if they intend to make an offer. If they don't have a buyer broker, your broker doesn't suddenly represent their interests - your broker represents your interests.

People go to open houses and make offers all the time without representation. Not something I would choose to do, but it is still pretty common

Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM

153 posts, read 194,762 times
Google search "Working with Real Estate Agents Brochure" and "Dual Agency pro's/cons".

Old 06-06-2015, 02:49 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
The only reason to allow your agent to become a Dual Agent would be if they would agree to lower their commission a significant amount. Otherwise, why do it? A Dual Agent is really a misnomer because a true agent can't represent the best interests of both parties. If you don't need an agent to represent your interests, you might consider allowing it...but if you don't need an agent, why didn't you sell your house FSBO? Generally, I don't recommend Dual Agency--it simply can cause too many problems.

However, just because a Seller's Agent shows a house to someone, that does not automatically make them their agent (at least not in Michigan--I understand it may create an implied agency in some states). Just talk to your agent and clarify that they will continue to represent you and your interests alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate