Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times

Advertisements

Move to the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by like-2-hike View Post
Initially I felt for the OP (how dare the HOA tell them what they can have in their closed garage), but in looking at an aerial view of (what I believe to be) the OP's neighborhood, I can see why the HOA is being strict - there's very little space for parking. Seems like if even 10% of homeowners in the neighborhood did what the OP is doing, there'd be lots of problems.

See for yourself:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7079.../data=!3m1!1e3

I feel bad for the OP and the position they're being put in, but I definitely see the HOA's side of it.
Agreed, parking is at a premium so I also can definitely see the other residents' view (aka HOA's view).

Note there's an RV/Boat storage a block away - problem "solved" - the OP would have to decide if keeping the car another 20 years is worth it at the monthly rate. I can't see any logical reason to keep a car for 20 YEARS and not have done anything on it. Sell it to someone that can get it on the road, or put it in storage.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:06 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
When a HOA in Livermore, CA told us we could not fly an American flag outside our townhouse except on the 4th of July, I told their property manager that they could either allow two combat vets to fly the American flag whenever they liked or read about it in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Six weeks later, it was on the front page of the Chron and the topic of local talk radio for days. HOAs all over the Bay area began re-writing their covenants to allow the flag to fly.

Sometimes public embarrassment is the only way to curb local dictators.

BS. That's federal law. The HOA can only tell you how big, how high, and how it is mounted.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
If the issue is with the outside parking permit for the car that won't fit in the garage, what does that have to do with the car that does fit in the garage?

Whether it's there or not, the large car requiring the permit won't fit.

It really isn't about the permit for the other car, it's about someone on the HOA not liking the idea that the car has been in the garage for 20 years, and has decided to rid the world of this blight on society.

I have a hobby car that is rarely driven in my garage. It is registered, insured and driveable (and worth far more than the vast majority of the cars on the road today), but for the most part, it is simply stored there. FWIW it was also partially restored in that garage.

I never really gave it any thought, since it's not an issue for me, but at what point would an HOA start giving me a hard time about it? Is there a minimum amount of miles that are required to be driven in a car before it's considered "stored", and therefore no longer a car?

Of course not. The big 3 in all HOAs I am familiar with are operable, insured, and licensed.

The idea is probably to force them to get rid of the Suburban. Why would they buy a car that doesn't fit in the garage. ALL condos and townhomes have rules that garages must be used.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
When a HOA in Livermore, CA told us we could not fly an American flag outside our townhouse except on the 4th of July, I told their property manager that they could either allow two combat vets to fly the American flag whenever they liked or read about it in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Six weeks later, it was on the front page of the Chron and the topic of local talk radio for days. HOAs all over the Bay area began re-writing their covenants to allow the flag to fly.

Sometimes public embarrassment is the only way to curb local dictators.
The idea that an HOA or any homeowner anywhere in the United States of America would think it was OK to have a by law that states an American flag is an eye sore is absurd! Unfriggin believeable!! really?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 PM

297 posts, read 573,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Agreed, parking is at a premium so I also can definitely see the other residents' view (aka HOA's view).

Note there's an RV/Boat storage a block away - problem "solved" - the OP would have to decide if keeping the car another 20 years is worth it at the monthly rate. I can't see any logical reason to keep a car for 20 YEARS and not have done anything on it. Sell it to someone that can get it on the road, or put it in storage.
I don't get it either, but I have a family member and her husband who have held onto two cars - neither of which are anything to write home about - in inoperable condition for 25 years now, taking up their two-car garage, which means they have to park the family's three working cars in a one-car driveway and do a ridiculous car shuffle every time someone is blocked. But they live in a non-HOA neighborhood, so they're only inconveniencing themselves. They have some weird sentimental attachment to the cars. I could see if it's a classic car, like the 1970 GTO my cousin kept forever, but these are blah cars.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:29 PM

424 posts, read 381,756 times
wow those assaholic hoa. Instances like this is why I refuse to ever live in a neighborhood run by one. I would just tell them no and dare them to try to mess with your PRIVATE garage on your PRIVATE property. Who's ever heard of needing a parking permit to park in one's own garage?.....

Old 06-22-2015, 05:56 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
wow those assaholic hoa. Instances like this is why I refuse to ever live in a neighborhood run by one. I would just tell them no and dare them to try to mess with your PRIVATE garage on your PRIVATE property. Who's ever heard of needing a parking permit to park in one's own garage?.....
No one in this thread. The permit is to park in the community parking area.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
I am sure that the problem is that the homeowner asked for a permit to park a car on community property, as there was not room in the garage.

If the homeowner had not done that the HOA wouldn't care what junk was stored in the private garage.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Why are you holding on to an inoperable car for 20 years. I just can't find any reasonable logic in that.

Also, is it really necessary to refer to someone as a Nazi? That's such a gross overstatement.

It does not matter WHY someone is keeping a vehicle and it really is none of your business the reason they are keeping it.
The only important fact is they are keeping it and the HOA is giving them grief over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
SELL .. . . THE . . . . CAR. . .. .

you haven't used it in 20 years. Sell it ! Problem solved !

You should just go and sell something that you cherish just because some random stranger on a public forum told you to.

If they want to keep the car it is their decision to keep the car no matter what anyone else thinks about it.

Sometimes things are not as simple as "sell the car, why keep it, it doesn't work"...etc.

Personally I would tell the HOA to leave me alone except I will never live in an area that has an HOA.
I refuse to pay that much money for a home that someone else thinks they can tell me how to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate