Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 PM

96 posts, read 185,613 times

Advertisements

Ok, we are getting a bit concerned working with this particular agent. We are the buyers. Our lender wanted a foundation inspection on this very old farmhouse we are in the process of purchasing. It was done, found to be sound, but some mortar work is now being requested to be completed to check off the issue and move forward. Our agent said that she found someone to do the work. Apparently sent them out and we were just informed that the work was completed and the agent stated that she has asked the sellers to pay for it and she stated if they won't will you???
What? Shouldn't both parties be informed of the cost BEFORE it is done and shouldn't both parties agree to who will be paying for the repair BEFORE the work is done?
I am shocked that our agent did this? I don't even know who she got to come out and do it? There was no communication as to if there was an estimate, we certainly didn't see one. She just sent someone to repair it and is now asking..ok who's paying for it!
Is this even legal? This is so backwards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greengables View Post
Ok, we are getting a bit concerned working with this particular agent. We are the buyers. Our lender wanted a foundation inspection on this very old farmhouse we are in the process of purchasing. It was done, found to be sound, but some mortar work is now being requested to be completed to check off the issue and move forward. Our agent said that she found someone to do the work. Apparently sent them out and we were just informed that the work was completed and the agent stated that she has asked the sellers to pay for it and she stated if they won't will you???
What? Shouldn't both parties be informed of the cost BEFORE it is done and shouldn't both parties agree to who will be paying for the repair BEFORE the work is done?
I am shocked that our agent did this? I don't even know who she got to come out and do it? There was no communication as to if there was an estimate, we certainly didn't see one. She just sent someone to repair it and is now asking..ok who's paying for it!
Is this even legal? This is so backwards!
Very backwards. I would tell her "not paying for it if the seekers don't. It's on you."

Old 06-24-2015, 11:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Probably her cousin, and you will be paying a higher than you can imagine price if you agree to pay for it. Yep backwards, Agree with the above post!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:31 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Your right but ask for them to pay, if they refuse offer 50/50 if the still refuse just eat it.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
If the sellers refuse I would go to the agents broker and throw a fit. I don't even understand how a licensed contractor would do work at the request of an agent in the first place. There's major legal issues with incomplete payments and leins. Totally backwards and unethical in my opinion.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,420,266 times
Quote:
Of course.

But is this a Buyer's Agent representing you alone...or are you working with the Listing Agent, who represents the Seller? If it's the Listing Agent, they may have been authorized to get the repairs done and now they're just seeing if you might pay for it instead of the Seller.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 AM

92 posts, read 235,172 times
Simple thought experiment: Let's say you pay for the repair. Then, after that, the deal falls through for some other reason. You've just paid to repair a house you don't own! Does this agent represent you or the seller?)

Old 06-25-2015, 06:47 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
Apparently sent them out and we were just informed that the work was completed and the agent stated that she has asked the sellers to pay for it and she stated if they won't will you???
THe answer is no I won't, it is not my property or responsibility.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,306,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Of course.

But is this a Buyer's Agent representing you alone...or are you working with the Listing Agent, who represents the Seller? If it's the Listing Agent, they may have been authorized to get the repairs done and now they're just seeing if you might pay for it instead of the Seller.
My thoughts too.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:32 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
Why not say, of course you will pay for it, as part of the closing transaction.

Then they get reimbursed for it if and only if you buy the property. And that gives them one more of many incentives to make sure the deal doesn't fall through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate