Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:22 PM

566 posts, read 587,818 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating putting our house on the market soon.
We'd like our home to only be shown on Saturday's. 😱 Yes.
Can someone walk me through how to ask a Realtor to comply to this request?

...let me also say, we understand the reasons it should be available more often, but this one day is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,685,303 times
Your agent simply notes it on the listing.

Prepare to be asked repeatedly for showings on other days because "my clients are only in town this week!"

Old 06-24-2015, 02:49 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,572,700 times
You don't ask, you tell.

You might also take safeguards because it's not at all unusual in my experience for an agent to not check even whether a listing is in one of those categories close to sold...let alone check whether there are limitations on the showing times.

So, if you use a lockbox, you should have the non-attached kind where you can put it out only Saturday. Evenso, prepare for doorbell ringing. Those who don't fully check the listing sheet and those who just have to see it right then anyway.

You may indeed get lots of calls. If you like, just screen them.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,735,293 times
You also need to be prepared for many agents to tell you that they don't want your listing. If you're not going to work with me to sell your house, I don't want your house as a listing. I can't sell something I can't show.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:28 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,082,638 times
So basically you'd like to list your house but not actually sell it?

Old 06-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,135 posts, read 76,705,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
We'd like our home to only be shown on Saturday's. �� Yes.

...let me also say, we understand the reasons it should be available more often, but this one day is it.
You say, "We like your marketing package and reputation. We have some personal constraints on showing, and will only be able to show on Saturdays. Can you do that?"

You don't go into a lot of rationalization, because that just gives the agent opening to sell through your objections. Just say it. And, look for a "Yes" or "No."

The bulk of showings are on weekends, either Saturday or Sunday. So, yes, you are making it a bit more difficult, and you may suffer in price and time on market. But, it seems that you are ready to accept those points.

You make certain that the public remarks in the MLS listing say, "Showings on Saturdays only, between X and X."

It is not ideal, but it is no big deal. It wouldn't keep me from taking your listing for a moment.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 PM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
I would do it with a longer than normal listing agreement. It will be harder to sell since it can only be shown on Saturdays, but it can be done.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,396,396 times
Supra lockboxes (at least the kind used in my area) can be programmed to only open on certain days and hours. So if you have a lockbox out, find out if it can be programmed. Then if an agent tries to open it at other times, it will not unlock.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:10 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,669,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
We'd like our home to only be shown on Saturday's. �� Yes.

Is there a good reason why only Saturday? Be flexible and ask for 24 hours notice for Friday night or Sunday showings.

Unless your home is amazing and at bargain pricing you are limiting yourself.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,201,080 times
House down the street from me had a sign that said shown by appointment ment only. It's been listed for 130 days and guess what sign isn't up anymore. You limit it people will see everything else first and likely buy something else. Your first impression is you aren't very convienient and could be a total pain to work with. I see every house I buy about 6 times, 3 before contract, 1 at inspection, 1 about 3 days before close, and 1 between close and inspection. If you are limited to Saturday only I wouldn't even schedule a first showing no matter what my cap rate comes in at on your home.

Keep in mind I buy for long term rentals so my method won't fit everyone it is just my point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate