Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times

Advertisements

I always wonder how real world "return on investment" is calculated when it comes to things like new carpeting or other relatively minor fixes/cosmetic changes. It seems there are so many factors which are unmeasurable/unknowable.

As one poster said, you might not be able to ask more than you had already planned to, but it might bring about a sale - when otherwise a house could be unsellable, or take forever to sell, or only sell for a really discounted price. I see listings all the time where the house is just languishing on the market, and I think poor presentation (clutter, ugly paint or carpeting) is a huge part of the problem. Repainting, or replacing carpeting might not allow the owner to ask a higher asking price, but it might allow them to get what they're asking, or closer to what they're asking... and probably the difference between what they'd end up getting without the fix and what they'd end up getting with the fix would be more than the cost of the fix. But it's all hypotheticals... if someone doesn't (for example) replace falling-apart carpeting, and they sell for X, they have no way of knowing what they might have gotten if they had replaced it. If they do replace it and sell for Y, they have no way of knowing how much less they would have gotten otherwise.

My belief is that if you're talking about a relatively inexpensive and easy and small (two small bedrooms, in this case) replacement, and the alternative is something which would show horribly, do the replacement. I think this is especially true if you're not trying to market the new carpeting as some sort of "upgrade" so the buyers don't feel like they're paying a premium for something they might want to change. To me that sort of thing is just a part of readying a house for sale - no different from making other minor repairs and deep cleaning.

As a buyer I would rather have new neutral carpeting I could live with for at least some period of time, rather than have to deal with immediately replacing the flooring, but I wouldn't want to feel like I was paying extra for it. I should pay less for falling-apart carpeting and the hassle of needing to replace it, but not more for some basic carpeting. And if I saw falling-apart carpeting, I would wonder what other deferred maintenance existed.

(Just to clarify... I am NOT of the belief that, as a buyer, I should get a house in like-new condition for an older house price. I'm not saying, "I want this, but I don't want to pay extra!" I'm thinking of a typical scenario in which a house isn't discounted at all but is presented with things that should be repaired.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 10:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
I am planning to sell my town home in about a years time and the current carpet in the bedrooms is falling apart. It's the original since house was built in 2002. The rest of the house is wood.

Both bedrooms are 10x12 so would you think I would gain back the cost of replacing it at sale or would it be more cost effective to leave it and let the new owner decide if they want carpet tile etc?

This is my first home so obviously my first sale.

Thanks

Ps: any rough idea of cost to have it replaced?
It would be a good idea to replace it. Cost is dependent on your location and how nice a carpet you choose. You don't have to get nice carpet. Just replace it with cheap carpet that is new. But whatever you do, resist the temptation to do any carpet work yourself in an attempt to save $$$. Unless you are a skilled contractor, you will probably screw up, and it's a PITA to fix carpeting mistakes.

I suggest you wait until right before you put it on the market to replace it. That is what I did when I sold my house in 2011. It was a large house, 2300 sq ft, and the entire upstairs and master bedroom downstairs had this brown Berber carpet that was unraveling and just looked horrible. So after we moved out, we tore all of it out and replaced it with cheap dark grey carpet for around $1000. It drew buyers in, because without new carpet, we would have turned off a lot of buyers. When people see nasty carpet, they think of germs, dust, and all sorts of disgustingness that makes them naturally believe the rest of the house is gross and poorly maintained. So even if they want to tear it out, they like to think that it's fresh and clean and they don't have to deal with that issue immediately.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Fwiw, the depot often has (neutral) remnants & roll-ends on their clearance rack that would do an "average" bedroom without clashing & they're often discounted substantially. Even if you don't have access to a pickup, you can borrow theirs for $20, then just call a carpet-dude to do the install. // doesn't have to cost alot.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
I had many people say oh look at this problem and offer, say, $10,000 less. I'd fix the thing myself for under $100. They usually wanted the place so much they would swallow their pride and come up because I wouldn't sell it that much less anyway but the lesson is to fix the things possible before listing.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 PM

110 posts, read 224,298 times
'It's the original since house was built in 2002. The rest of the house is wood."
Any chance the floor underneath is decent wood?
If so, pull carpet, sand, and poly the floor.

If not, what about carpet tiles?
Get quality ones on-line in a neutral color/pattern.
Be sure to get the ones you can just lay, not ones you have to glue down.
Buy about 10% more than you think you will need and indicate you have extra you will leave.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:25 PM

459 posts, read 619,714 times
Replace it, so many people just cannot see past stuff like this and daft paint colours.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:34 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Here is the simple conversation you want:
"Oh, your house is listed for $180,000? New carpet, too? Great. I'll take it."

Show new carpet, particularly since the current carpet is really shot. No apologies, excuses, or credits to complicate the conversation.
The only reason to show crap and do a credit is if you are just too broke and a couple of rooms of carpet is a terrible burden. Even at that, you can find someone who will wait 30 or 60 days to be paid.
And no one will pay you "full price" minus the cost of carpet. They will slam you on price.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:41 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
I am planning to sell my town home in about a years time and the current carpet in the bedrooms is falling apart. It's the original since house was built in 2002. The rest of the house is wood.

Both bedrooms are 10x12 so would you think I would gain back the cost of replacing it at sale or would it be more cost effective to leave it and let the new owner decide if they want carpet tile etc?

Thanks

Ps: any rough idea of cost to have it replaced?
ps2cho:

you have a few options, pick the one you like the best:

1} replace the carpets, as noted with an inexpensive one. People like to pick their flooring, and may rip it out any way and replace with their own. People tend to like carpet on their footsies in the Bedrooms.

2} if you have hardwoods under, remove carpet and leave hardwoods. Hardwoods seem to be the most popular now. Be sure they are in good repair. {I prefer wall-to-wall myself}. Put in a medium sized heavy throw rug bedside. People may like hardwoods, but like soft and warm under footsies in the bedroom.

3} If you have no hardwoods under {built in 2002, probably NOT unless it was ordered that way and covered with carpeting}, tear up the carpets and install some hardwoods. Prices will vary-from cheap laminate {shows it} to the much more expensive and the much more durable solid pre-finished oak or the like. Pick a medium priced option perhaps.

4} Offer a CREDIT BACK at closing for the flooring. Most likely people will want to PICK their own flooring style ANYWAY, so this may be your BEST option. Advertise it well, but NOt too well so people don't think the floors are heavily damaged and the unit may have other issues as well! State "Credit back at closing for replacing the bedroom carpets"

You seem worried about recouping your money...if the carpets are literally falling apart, they were cheapos to begin with and you'd have to replace them for yourself anyway! Second, it's not always necessarily a matter of recouping IF you want to SELL!!!

Lastly, GO SHOPPING for your options. Take ACCURATE measurements and go to the flooring stores {!!} or hunt online for price per square foot. It is easy to calculate when you know the sq footage. You have a year you said, so you have plenty of time to shop!

If you offer the credit, pick squarely in the middle of the average of the cheap-to-expensive carpets and the cheap-to-expensive hardwood options. That way you aren't "cheating" the buyer, or low-balling them.

Good luck selling {fast}!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
[quote=ps2cho;40190348]I am planning to sell my town home in about a years time and the current carpet in the bedrooms is falling apart. It's the original since house was built in 2002. The rest of the house is wood.

Thanks

Ps: any rough idea of cost to have it replaced?[/quote

Head back to the back wall of Lowe's and HD. There is carpeting on rolls there. I got Lowe's for 67 cents/sq yd, nice neutral stuff, a low berber, cleans up great, no vacuum cleaner marks, and with the thicker padding, feels for all the world like the $2 stuff. Assume 95? cents/yd for the padding then add $200 for the instrall. A cheap, very acceptable thing to do. Don't try to sell a house with raggy carpeting. It's the one thing people will remember, no matter whether it's just one room. Bite the bullet. Replace it.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:12 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,566 times
Buyers have first impressions that sometime will ruin a potential sale. Thats pretty old for carpet,and sinces its not large spaces, why not do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate