Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 PM

244 posts, read 440,167 times

Advertisements

Im selling my house and we got an offer 10 days ago.
My agent told me by Friday buyer will have loan app completed.
What does it mean?
Does it mean by Friday my buyer will be 100% approved for loan or just completed pre-approval letter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Its hard to interpret what is meant, but my guess would be the buyer will have gathered all the necessary documentation and the loan will be ready to go to the underwriter.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:58 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Loan application is the first step. The second step is documentation, the third is verification, then underwriting, then more documentation, back to underwriting, then maybe, hopefully, loan approval.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
Im selling my house and we got an offer 10 days ago.
My agent told me by Friday buyer will have loan app completed.
What does it mean?
Does it mean by Friday my buyer will be 100% approved for loan or just completed pre-approval letter?
He should have had the pre approval letter before making an offer.

Loan app means the actual application for the loan.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
It would not hurt to request specific information. There are so many variations of the definition, the CFPB has now defined a loan application as a lender only having six pieces of information (name, income, social security # (for credit report), property address, sales price and loan amount). I have prequals that send me enough documentation after first contact, I could submit their loan to underwriting. But on the other side, I have applications that I feel like I am pulling teeth with tweezers, I have the six pieces of information and receive the supporting documents piece by painful piece.

I would be very surprised if we don't see the Board of Realtors come out with definitions for their contract what constitutes an application - I am certain their intent is not meant to mirror the CFPB's (which is very minimal info). The CFPB set this definition to prompt the lender to send disclosures to the consumer, which has nothing to do with assuring the seller the process is underway. In fact, most sellers wouldn't ratify a contract if they knew only the CFPB's definition of a loan app has been received. Since real estate heavily relies on the contract, I would be very surprised if this ambiguity is allowed to remain.

So you are wise to ask for specifics: has a full application package been done? Has all of the supporting paperwork been turned in (paystubs, W2s, bank statements)? Has a preliminary DU (automated underwriting) been run? Has the appraisal been ordered?

As for approvals, there's credit approval, where the underwriter has only reviewed the buyer's qualifications, and then, there is full approval, or the loan commitment has been issued. The difference is the latter means the appraisal was received and reviewed by the underwriter.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate