Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You "need" crown molding to impress future buyers. Not a day goes by on House Hunters that they don't ooh-and-ahh over the (cheap) crown molding!
Remember House Hunters is a staged and scripted T.V. show. They ooh-and-ahh over what ever the writers and director tells them to ooh-and-ahh over and do it exactly when told to do it.

Depends on the area of the country, and the style of the home that it is located in. In our part of the country, people consider it very old fashioned, and not desirable.

Example: Our personal home is a large 4 level, extremely contemporary 3,700 sq. ft. home. No basement but a garden level under one section. Fantastic view of the Rocky Mountains from our living room. It is located on a 5 acre parcel. Natural color Oak wood abounds, and a to the ceiling moss rock wall around the fireplace. Another stone pillar in the living room, and a stone bench between the two 20' high stone sections. Soaring 25 ft ceiling and a window wall in living room. All ceilings are at least 9 ft high. Visitors to the home the first time, cannot get over it. If we ever want to sell, we have standing offers to buy it, at it's appraised value. And we get periodic reminders they are serious about wanting to buy it, and they are qualified to buy it and get a mortgage.

Crown molding would look stupid in this house, as would those dark and depressing colors.

As an old retired real estate broker, I say everyone has the privilege of painting their home any color they desire.

BUT (Big But), when they put it on the market for sale, remember those colors shown at the start of this thread, will turn off 90+% of the buyers. And the small percentage that would like it, and buy it for the great color scheme may never even see the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Your color is not bad like some people's color of gray or colors like dark brown for shower or toliet which I know of people that has this in their house.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
How else am I supposed to cover it up when I splash diarrhea on the walls?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:41 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Ugh, why would anyone want DARK brown walls in a room is beyond me, there's some houses here for sale that I saw on the web, they have some crazy garish paint colors on the bedroom and other room walls, lime green, purple,dark blue, one even has dark metallic looking splotchy wwalls with gloss black trim and doors!
Why, indeed, would anyone paint walls a color s/he liked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Probably because this is a real estate forum & it was in the context of helping people sell their homes. Strong colors of any shade are a turn off to many buyers. If you're in your forever house with no intention of selling, buy all means do whatever you want.
Nice try, but the OP mentioned nothing about "helping people sell their homes". It was just an insulting rant about color and personal choice.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
I think it's a trip for ANYONE to have the audacity to sell a house with painted walls.

You painted for your tastes. Before it hits the market you need to repaint it white. If people want to paint it let them do it themselves.

I lose all interest and focus picturing myself and my own furniture in a house with terrible colored walls. Red dining room? I lose all interest in the house. I saw a house online with salmon pink....salmon pink kitchen walls. That wife needs to be slapped for that tackiness.

Any realtor worth anything should advise that especially with some home listing prices.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
When I look at houses at a local real estate company's website, I always see kids' rooms that are painted really bright colors like lime green, bright lavender, bright pink, bright blue. Wouldn't you tone those colors down before you put the house on the market? Not everyone wants two or three bedrooms painted in bright colors. Or they will have one room sage green for instance, and the room right next to it another shade of green that clashes with the sage green. I know paint colors can be changed, but the last thing I would want to do after buying a house is have to repaint all the walls.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I think it's a trip for ANYONE to have the audacity to sell a house with painted walls.

You painted for your tastes. Before it hits the market you need to repaint it white. If people want to paint it let them do it themselves.

I lose all interest and focus picturing myself and my own furniture in a house with terrible colored walls. Red dining room? I lose all interest in the house. I saw a house online with salmon pink....salmon pink kitchen walls. That wife needs to be slapped for that tackiness.

Any realtor worth anything should advise that especially with some home listing prices.
Some people actually like color on the walls. I absolutely hate white walls. I'm glad the previous owners didn't repaint their pretty walls with nasty white. I may change colors eventually, but I can't live with white.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Some people actually like color on the walls. I absolutely hate white walls. I'm glad the previous owners didn't repaint their pretty walls with nasty white. I may change colors eventually, but I can't live with white.
I don't think anyone wants or expects WHITE walls. They just don't want godawful or clashing colors.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:07 PM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
I remember once reading somewhere that painting walls before you sell is a waste, because most buyers will repaint them a different color anyway.

The color of the walls doesn't really influence if I like a house or not, because I know I can change it. But my sister doesn't like it if the walls are painted a dark color, because it takes several coats to paint over it.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

FYI, maybe your advice works in middling markets, but here in the Austin, Texas area, people don't need to follow it. Just pull up the MLS and you'll see tons of homes that aren't white or beige. I sold my home for top dollar and over asking btw Maybe you aren't interested in my house or my red dining room, and that's fine. But there are those who will have no issue with it. And I'll have little problem selling my current house because many buyers aren't one dimensional. They take many things into consideration, such as location, the character of the house, lot size, and neighborhood. I personally would be a fool to lose out on a wonderful, custom character house in a great neighborhood on a big lot just because I disliked the original owner's paint choices. I'd just simply repaint if it bothered me *that* much. And I did. I will never repaint my entire house white and I've never had to either.

As a woman, I find your use of the phrase "wife needs to be slapped for that tackiness" a rather crude way to get your point across just because you don't care for a paint color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate