Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Personally I would not buy a home that did not have an attached garage, especially in colder climate areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM

223 posts, read 321,484 times
I live in the mid-Atlantic and an attached garage was not on our must-have list when we were looking to buy a home. I had never lived in a house with an attached garage and didn't figure having one was a big deal. The house we bought happened to have a two car attached garage. I would never buy a house without one in the future, so I would now consider it a must-have.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times
While we don't have the cold, or precipitation related weather issues here in Phoenix, I've been astounded as to how many homes are without even a carport, much less a garage. Even more so in the rural areas...it's been a bit of a struggle to even find a home outside of the city with a garage period, which blows my mind - many properties on an acre plus, and not even a storage shed on the property. I've even seen many on 5 acres, with virtually nothing beyond the manufactured home.

Considering how many people whine and complain about it being SOOOOOO HOOOOOTTTTT!!!!! in the summer, and a car sitting outside all day IS LIKE AN OVEN INSIDE!!!!!!!!!, you'd think at least a car port would be an absolute requirement out here, yet it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm finally in the middle of buying a property now that has what was called an oversize 2.5 car garage, but really is a lot closer to a 3.5 car garage, and it was a HUGE selling point to me. Though in my case, I have a 1962 truck, and 10s of thousands worth of tools and fabrication equipment that I just flat out refuse to leave outside. Some of which I can't put in a storage shed even if I wanted to, due to the weight and being virtually impossible to move over anything but smooth concrete (my welder, for instance, weighs over 500lbs, and I've tried to roll it over hard pack dirt...I about threw my back out trying it,lol).

Old 07-02-2015, 05:23 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
I would go crazy without my garage. It is my refuge. I made a nice workbench that doubles as a cot and when I have to sleep alone it sure beats the Dog House.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don't even look at a house with no garage.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Lots of people in our neighborhood had their garages converted into offices or family rooms and only have driveways to park their cars. We certainly would not have bought one of those houses because our area gets pretty cold in winter and fairly hot in summer. Of course around here, lots of garages seem to be used for storage instead of cars so the driveway is still the designated parking spot.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:45 PM

649 posts, read 816,721 times
Having a garage at all was such a rarity in urban greater Boston that (even after five years of house shopping with/for friends) when we toured the house we ended up buying I asked my husband why the neighbors had painted their house exactly the same as the house we were standing in, only to realize as we pinched ourselves in amazement that it was a TWO CAR GARAGE!!! The only one on the street to this day. I think it is the only one for a half mile in any direction. And we had six trees! Like rich people!

Old 07-03-2015, 12:39 AM

179 posts, read 268,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
While we don't have the cold, or precipitation related weather issues here in Phoenix, I've been astounded as to how many homes are without even a carport, much less a garage. Even more so in the rural areas...it's been a bit of a struggle to even find a home outside of the city with a garage period, which blows my mind - many properties on an acre plus, and not even a storage shed on the property. I've even seen many on 5 acres, with virtually nothing beyond the manufactured home.

Considering how many people whine and complain about it being SOOOOOO HOOOOOTTTTT!!!!! in the summer, and a car sitting outside all day IS LIKE AN OVEN INSIDE!!!!!!!!!, you'd think at least a car port would be an absolute requirement out here, yet it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm finally in the middle of buying a property now that has what was called an oversize 2.5 car garage, but really is a lot closer to a 3.5 car garage, and it was a HUGE selling point to me. Though in my case, I have a 1962 truck, and 10s of thousands worth of tools and fabrication equipment that I just flat out refuse to leave outside. Some of which I can't put in a storage shed even if I wanted to, due to the weight and being virtually impossible to move over anything but smooth concrete (my welder, for instance, weighs over 500lbs, and I've tried to roll it over hard pack dirt...I about threw my back out trying it,lol).
The first thing we did when we bought our manufactured home was put in two garages. People out here have really nice cars and trucks and leave them sitting outside. I couldn't do without a garage. Since we bought them separate they are not attached.

When we moved to AZ in 1984 we saw only carports and thought they didn't build garages in AZ but all new homes have them now. I would love your big garage.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Las Vegas was hit the hardest, during the last Great Recession, and, walking around my neighborhood, I saw, increasingly, more and more cars parked on the streets, in the driveways and the lawn areas. Yup! Garages converted to living spaces as people doubled and tripled up here, and even grown adult children moving back with Mom and Pop!

Even in my townhouse complex, with a big spacious garage attached, I spotted 2 bunk beds in a garage 2 doors down, cars on the street, there must have been 12 people crammed into that townhouse!

Not knowing where this economy is going, or if there's going to be another big economic setback, I label a garage an equity builder!

With the high rents in CA, I'm guessing any number of garages have become living or rental spaces. My Mexican roommate of 15 years, rented and lived in an unattached garage in Long Beach for 7 years.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
I'm in NE. Many houses without garages around. Even saw some where the garage was converted to more living space when we were looking. Their effect on price is not so high. You see houses with garages and without for similar prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate