Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times

Advertisements

It is narrow minded to believe that people that live in small towns or rural areas are all conservative or give a rat's a## what you think or where you attend church if you even do. Most people in small towns and rural areas are there for the peace, open spaces, and freedom. They don't care what you do as long as you don't infringe on their right to do whatever they choose. If you enjoy the constant rat race of living in the city, more power to you. For the rest of us, more sunsets and star gazing for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 02:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I don't like rural areas, the movie Deliverance scared me for life

Old 07-09-2015, 02:32 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I don't like rural areas, the movie Deliverance scared me for life
Funny . We have gotten dentists out here since the movie though.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:35 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
I was paying some bills this morning, posting some letters. One of the great things to me is that after 25 years in the same town, well probably a small city, is that people know me. The cashier at the phone company or the power company, the clerk at the post office, the owner of the Chinese buffet, and many others.

It was one of those terrors on the back of the mind about moving to a new city, of not being known, of having to start such a cycle all over again.......and probably never getting it back.

It's also a "directive" to keep on the back of the mind to "behave" because one is known in town, one is liked, one does have a reputation. A directive to recognize what you can do, what is over all acceptable (ie, being a belly dancer) and to know what is too far, that you can't throw it to the wind and believe "who is going to know?" or "what difference will it make?" for that is simply not true. Ie, it's more of a personal reason/fear but I don't drink in public because I never want to wake up the next morning wondering if what I did the night before was due to party energy or alcohol. Looking at it from the the "gossip" angle, that too is an uncomfortable risk.

A directive to know that you can't be so open with your frustrations. The person you lose your temper and curse out at the theater tonight ("For God's Sake, can't you be quiet?")........maybe be in the crowd, in eye contact with you tomorrow as you are introduced as an organizational leader.

Once, when I was younger, I probably didn't care as much by what I did here and there....but I am older now and I do care.

Long story short, that is probably another "cost" of deciding where to live....and it may be one that people are not so actively aware of.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Kansas and Nebraska are just corn factories; nobody really lives there.
Meatpackers really live there. Hop a bus out to Garden City, KS...

Last edited by Major Barbara; 07-09-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 05:14 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There's a lot more to rural America than flyover country. 60% of California's vast Central Valley has been taken out of agricultural production because it has been converted to 5 acre ranchettes. Kansas and Nebraska are just corn factories; nobody really lives there.
Little corn is grown in Kansas that is not irrigated and it is not part of the Corn Belt due to its climate being unfavorable. Wheat is grown where climate is marginal and is not as profitable as corn- so that is commonly grown there in addition to ranching.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:16 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Meatpackers really live there. Hop a bus out to Garden City, KS...
The economics out there will not be sustainable in a few more decades at the most due to the rapidly depleting aquifer, plenty of articles regarding that.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,654,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The economics out there will not be sustainable in a few more decades at the most due to the rapidly depleting aquifer, plenty of articles regarding that.
The economics of everywhere are always changing, but the rates of change in many places are coming to strain our capacities to adjust. Still, at the present time, lots of meatpackers do in fact live in and around Garden City, Kansas.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times
I've had this problem licked most of my life. I currently live on the ocean with no traffic, great scenery , friendly people in Rockport Texas which often is named in those "Top ten small towns" surveys. I am only 24 minutes from downtown Corpus Christi.

Unfortunately we will have to move and this time we will have a place overlooking downtown El Paso , and another 95 minutes away west of Ruidoso NM. This last change is especially appealing because summers in this part of NM have highs in the mid 70s and no mosquitoes.
------------------------------------------

The posters who think small towns are expensive are wrong. It just depends where. Internet in Rockport is about 30mps mbps? Fast enough for anything.

If one looks hard enough - they can find most anything

Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I've had this problem licked most of my life. I currently live on the ocean with no traffic, great scenery , friendly people in Rockport Texas which often is named in those "Top ten small towns" surveys. I am only 24 minutes from downtown Corpus Christi.

Unfortunately we will have to move and this time we will have a place overlooking downtown El Paso , and another 95 minutes away west of Ruidoso NM. This last change is especially appealing because summers in this part of NM have highs in the mid 70s and no mosquitoes.
------------------------------------------

The posters who think small towns are expensive are wrong. It just depends where. Internet in Rockport is about 30mps mbps? Fast enough for anything.

If one looks hard enough - they can find most anything
They're usually not expensive but you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate