Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM

351 posts, read 666,650 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my house and the inspector said the "Interior Windows - Repair the upper sash/broken seals in Garage Windows". Well my realtor sent someone over and gave me an Estimate for $700 and I said I'm not paying to fix 2 garage windows for $700 so I filled out the statement saying I would not fix the Garage Windows and sent in the Estimate of $700 to my realtor. What usually happens in a case like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:43 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I'm selling my house and the inspector said the "Interior Windows - Repair the upper sash/broken seals in Garage Windows". Well my realtor sent someone over and gave me an Estimate for $700 and I said I'm not paying to fix 2 garage windows for $700 so I filled out the statement saying I would not fix the Garage Windows and sent in the Estimate of $700 to my realtor. What usually happens in a case like this?
You may lose your buyer over not spending $700

Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You aren't required to fix anything, but the buyer could walk away if you don't or reduce their offer if your contract is contingent on the inspection. The realtor is not going to pay for it, if that's what you mean.

Two window sashes/seals would not be a dealbreaker for me as a buyer, though.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
One of several things:

1. You can refuse to pay
2. You can provide a sum at closing for them to fix it themselves
3. You can fix it and get it over with
4. You can get another estimate.

Did the buyers ASK you to fix it? There's usually a LOT of things on an inspection report that inspectors point out -- this seems fairly innocuous. Basically, anything under $1,000 is "hey, good, great, I'm outta here!" I'm assuming you've been asked to fix it, or else you wouldn't be here asking us. Was this the only thing that the buyers asked to be repaired?

I've seen buyers walk on minor items like this -- people get their drawers in a wad over details and lose track of the big picture, i.e., do you want to sell your house? Do they want to buy THIS house? Or are they looking for an excuse to wiggle out of the deal?

Just depends on how motivated you are. Keep in mind -- this is going to keep coming up on every inspection for any contract that you get.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Lol. You're gambling losing a sale over $700. What you should do is say you will not repair but will give credit back of $700 AFTER closing. And truthfully if that was the only thing holding up the sale I wouldn't even elevate my heart rate agreeing to either credit or just pay to fix it. It's amazing how people step over dollars to save pennies.

What's that $700 worth when you lose this buyer finally get another buyer two months down the road at a 3k lesser offer price and they want the windows fixed also.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Is that the only thing the buyers are asking for? Or is this something you took upon yourself to do before they asked?

Old 07-08-2015, 04:26 PM

We only lived here for 2 years and when I bought the house I know about this but it was in the garage and it didn't even leak so I said forget about it and it doesn't leak now so it's just something that isn't worth fixing in my option. I'm 68 years old and when I think about driving a U-Haul 1300 miles, living in an apartment for 3 months and then the stress of buying another house in a place I never lived before I have 2nd thought so I don't care if they buy the house or not. But I know I have to sell them the house if they are ok with me not fixing the window. I guess I am a believer in destiny and let natural take it's course. Now who else but an old man would write this. Sometimes I don't know if I think very well and thank you for all your posts.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
We only lived here for 2 years and when I bought the house I know about this but it was in the garage and it didn't even leak so I said forget about it and it doesn't leak now so it's just something that isn't worth fixing in my option. I'm 68 years old and when I think about driving a U-Haul 1300 miles, living in an apartment for 3 months and then the stress of buying another house in a place I never lived before I have 2nd thought so I don't care if they buy the house or not. But I know I have to sell them the house if they are ok with me not fixing the window. I guess I am a believer in destiny and let natural take it's course. Now who else but an old man would write this. Sometimes I don't know if I think very well and thank you for all your posts.

The thing you need to look at is that unfortunately you are not buying the house. So your opinion of not " needing" to fix it is really not a factor. Because their opinion is all that matters.
While you may " not care" I think that's just you saying that without meaning it. Because if you didn't care you wouldn't be listing your house for sale.
But think about what I said. If you lose this sale over $700 and you get no other buyer for months. Or the next buyer offers you 2-5k less than this current buyer. And now you're crunched for time to sell and move.
You might want to rethink your decision. I hope your sale goes smooth. Maybe the buyers may not care about the repair. But I know a few realtors and more than one said a deal fell apart from small things.
I hope you get it sold.
Good luck

Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 PM

I understand what you said. If I fix the windows and they back out for whatever reason I'm out $700. I might offer to take $700 off the price of the house so I don't get burn $700.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
The inspector advises what needs to be repaired, but, has no authority to 'instruct' anyone to fix anything. Likewise, I'm not sure what the Realtor is doing in the middle of this, unless the buyer has specifically requested that you fix the windows.

If the buyer has asked that you repair the windows, there is no reason you must spend $700 to do so. Contact your own repair person and either arrange to have the work done or provide a lower estimate to the buyer. The question you need to have answered is: 'Is this repair all that is preventing the buyer from closing the sale?' ... and is your statement that you will not repair the window/s a deal breaker?

Perhaps an even more important question is: "If you don't really want to sell your house and move, why are you trying to sell the house?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate