Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:10 PM

8,236 posts, read 8,573,897 times

Advertisements

The OPs dad may have a problem at the county level if he did any projects that require a permit and did not get one. I am sure that is one of the first things the HOA will check. He may be forced to remove all unpermitted work or any electrical or plumbing not done by a licensed contractor.

The one poster, and there is always one that says you can get the work done cheaper than the HOA fee is just plain wrong.

I am sure that all states require that HOA documents are delivered before purchase. If you don't read them how is that anyone's fault but your own? You know going in about painting and gardens and everything else. If you didn't bother to find out then who is the idiot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:21 PM

563 posts, read 521,428 times
Default He is a hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow, such judgmental people on this thread. The father might be rebellious and annoying, but I wouldn't call him an idiot, as several people have. I also find it difficult to believe there are as few HOAs in MN as OP claims. HOAs are in so many urban and suburban areas now the only areas they don't often rule neighborhoods are in rural areas. Unless OP lives in MN, he/she has no way of knowing how common HOAs are. Even the parents probably wouldn't know unless they have thoroughly examined real estate every part of MN. Ultimately it's up to the parents what they do. And the HOA decides what rules they set up. Some are very unreasonable with requirements and others are reasonable. And what's so bad about planting a garden, anyway?

If he doesn't like the HOA, he shouldn't pay it. Easy Peezy and extra cheesy!

Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM

563 posts, read 521,428 times
Default Ooops, I though we were still talking about bush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wow, such judgmental people on this thread. The father might be rebellious and annoying, but I wouldn't call him an idiot, as several people have. I also find it difficult to believe there are as few HOAs in MN as OP claims. HOAs are in so many urban and suburban areas now the only areas they don't often rule neighborhoods are in rural areas. Unless OP lives in MN, he/she has no way of knowing how common HOAs are. Even the parents probably wouldn't know unless they have thoroughly examined real estate every part of MN. Ultimately it's up to the parents what they do. And the HOA decides what rules they set up. Some are very unreasonable with requirements and others are reasonable. And what's so bad about planting a garden, anyway?

Sorry I hear the word idiot, and my mind automatically pulls up a picture of Pres W.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:58 PM

9,794 posts, read 11,469,459 times
Parents are rich but yet they bought in a HOA community.
Is this a 50 and older community?

Old 07-10-2015, 02:02 PM

379 posts, read 357,424 times
Kind of, it's not designated a retirement community but I'd say 75% of the people who live there are retired. He's not super rich but rich enough. The homes are all valued around $400-$500K.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
I'm sorry, I haven't read each and every post in this topic, but did you say that the HOA hasn't actively pursued him for infractions, and he continues on his merry way? Sounds like the HOA is pretty tame, in comparison, and your father is just taking advantage and then complaining. Not sure if that's a good thing as it can destroy morale/incentive for others to follow rules if they see one house habitually break the rules. The onus is on him for moving into an HOA community; however, I will say that while I am pro-HOA to an extent, I don't like how basically every single new community here in Texas has an HOA. It's crazy. It doesn't matter what the price point is, you're stuck with an HOA. The only places that don't have them are older communities (though my 30 year old community has one) or really expensive inner-core areas. Often these HOAs have the same boilerplate Bylaws/DCC&Rs.

While I agree in principle with HOAs and prefer HOA neighborhoods to non-HOA neighborhoods, I actually declined to live in a particular neighborhood after reading their long DCC&R. It dictated how many trees you should have, what types of plantings, how many windchimes, and so on and so forth. I found that too restrictive for my taste. I moved to an HOA neighborhood of similar price point, older, that had restrictions to protect value but not overly restrictive. What I've observed is that the neighborhood itself makes you step in line with everyone. since everyone meticulously maintains their properties, you'd stick out like a sore thumb letting yours go into disrepair. A lot of offensive things people just don't seem to do. The HOA basically expects everyone to act like adults and live in harmony with their neighbors, but they aren't going to send you nasty letters for having more than two windchimes. Or tell you which plant species to put into the ground. In fact, I'm dealing with an invasive trumpet vine from a neighbor. My solution is to really savage it on my side of the fence and we're good.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:54 PM

379 posts, read 357,424 times
No, the HOA has not pursued him. I don't know if they have noticed anything. He's not doing anything like a 86 Camaro out on blocks in the front yard or painting the garage door purple. In fact, if you look at the front of the house you'd never be able to tell he did anything. The back is on a lake which it makes it difficult for anyone to see what goes on back there. He's more preemptively complaining to my Mom about complaints he might get in the future. He's a grouch and relatively anti social but he's actually pretty smart. Maybe he knows exactly what he can get away with and is just riling up my mom.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:08 PM

508 posts, read 661,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Scooby, the OP used the term "idiot" in her initial post. Otherwise, I doubt it woukd have appeared in this thread.

Nothing wrong with planting a garden, per se. But HOA's have rules. While functional and somtimes attractive, I doubt that most of these gardens would be acceptable under most HOA regulations

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...p=yhst-mobotap.
Then those HOA's have stupid rules. Nearly all of those are not only functional, but very attractive. They're practically all well-built raised beds. Much more formal and controlled and compact than the typical row garden.

The only one in the first 100 or so that I found somewhat problematic was the raised beds made out of railroad ties. No good for edibles. For ornamentals, OK. And if you plant something that will drape along the edges, also very attractive.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM

508 posts, read 661,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Your dad isn't be just grumpy he is being very selfish. (not sure if that approach would matter). Definitely shouldn't have moved to an HOA!!
I agree, he shouldn't have moved into a HOA. But if things like gardens and screened in porches are against HOA rules, its the HOA agree-ers who are being selfish. Seriously - those people limit what other people can do on their own property, but they think its the OTHER GUY who is selfish, LOL!

Frankly I am just as happy that HOAs exist, as I live in hope that all the overly picky snitty people will choose to go live in them and leave me - and my privacy fence, gardens, flower beds, bird feeders, and other DIY projects strictly alone.

Heck, what with the privacy fence, unless you're going up on your roof and peering into my yard with binoculars, you're not going to be able to see any of that anyway.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,018,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
What is exactly the problem here? The HOA doesn't like Do it your self types? People that like to build things, stuff like that? I didn't know that was a bad thing to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I think they need to sell and get out.
While I agree with your dad - painting the deck, planting a garden, screening in your porch should all be things you can do without a problem - I would never ever EVER move into a place with a HOA, exactly because I wouldn't want to have to deal with "the geezer patrol" or any other sort of busybody trying to tell me what I can, cannot, or HAVE to do with my property. Other than the normal sort of safety and health issues, of course.

And if those bothered me too - I'd find a place out of town limits.
The reason that things like that are in the rules is because there are always a few people who go well beyond "normal" or typical for the area.

Planting a garden, hmmm a few tomato plants, some lettuce and carrots in a small area in your backyard, is what most people consider a garden. Just imagine if your next door neighbor decides to plow up his entire front lawn and plants the entire area in sweet corn (so that he can sell it at the farmers market).

That is what a HOA prevents.

We used to have a house in my city called "The Purple House" The entire outside of the house, walls, doors, window trim, garage, fence, everything was painted various shades of bright purple. People would drive for miles to gawk at the house. Imagine if that house was next door to your house.

That is what a HOA prevents.

And, those are just a few of the obvious things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate