Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 15,914 times

Advertisements

Been following this forum for months and finally got it thru thick head that it's all about the price. Beautiful area but avg DOM is 100, 2 to 3 homes/month sold no matter what month, forgot to check prices outside my area and neighboring towns list way lower. Listed $285k in May, dropped to $272k w/$7500 we'll pay in closing costs. 1 person has looked at house. 64 homes listed, only 3 sold last month, all in HOA area, all $100k higher. Had realtor caravan thru house today and 5 of 6 surveys said house priced right, 2 mentioned a warp in kitchen laminate floor, 1 wrote it would sell at $260k. All wrote that a 1st time home buyer might not be interested b/c of age/size of home.

Live in DC, was going to be the retirement home (we bought it 3 yrs ago, don't plan on retiring for 10) but for various family-related reasons, we're planning on moving to retirement community in FLA. I want to be done w/this. Will $254,900 do it? w/o closing costs and buyer agent incentive (tried that, agents don't like it) and home warranty? Seems 1st-time buyers just want to see low price, not incentives. There are 29 Likes on Zillow and I'm afraid of losing them as they buy other houses.

Right, no crystal balls out there, you're not familiar w/the area but...any advice? Here's a link to the listing:
2405 Seaford Rd, Seaford, VA 23696 is For Sale | Zillow

Based on previous forum posts, I don't plan on replacing the kitchen floor since only 1 buyer has even seen the floor. If it was carpet I would definitely replace it rather than risk 20 posts about that! : )

thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Not sure why it isn't selling, it looks like a nice home. If you want to get rid of it, go the $254K with no incentives. Sounds like the area is not an active one for whatever reason. Our last home took 4 months with 80 prospective buyers coming through. Everyone thought it was beautiful but it was a buyers market. we were lucky a couple was being transferred from overseas and were tired of living in a hotel. That was just before the last bubble broke. Heard that the real estate market is slow because people have lost their jobs and are renting as they don't feel secure in the job market.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:40 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Listed or FSBO?

Old 07-09-2015, 05:52 PM

8 posts, read 15,914 times
Listed w/RE/Max

Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Listing photos do not show the property in the best light. Too much glare and way too many photos of furniture.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 PM

89 posts, read 116,454 times
House is really old, that could be major drawback. Pics are not good. Way to outdated furniture and bad lighting. Really need to get rid of the furniture and fall inspired bedding. Agents should tell you this.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I liked it, clean and neat. I would re-paint but that's me

Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Power wash and stain the deck.
Put pulls/knobs on kitchen cabinet doors.
Get decent photos.
Put together detailed documentation on the condition of the infrastructure: hvac, plumbing, electrical, water, sewage. Eliminate fear as much as possible.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I didn't realize houses were so inexpensive in VA & close to the water too. It's surprising.

Some of the pictures are not very appealing. Have you considered having the house staged?

The other thing that strikes me, is that the house has been modernized way beyond it's period, but not necessarily in what I would consider a tasteful way. What's the brick column near the stove? Those bedroom pictures.....uggh. Take pictures of the unique features of the house vs beds.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I'd go with the lower price, too. People will notice that first.

The pictures aren't the best, but they're far, far better than the worst I've seen. The thing I found odd was the photos with furniture 'fragments'. Either put the chair in the picture or shove it out of the way. If you decide to post new pics, get rid of that burgundy sheet on the one bed and the dark, patterned throw on the day bed. Put something else on the dining room table and the napkins on the kitchen table.

As SouthernBelle pointed out, the house is clean and uncluttered. I dislike the wall color in the living room and the one bath. I'm not crazy about the brown in the kitchen, but I could live with that for a while. If someone likes the house, paint shouldn't be a deal breaker. It wouldn't be for me. It's paint.

I don't have a problem with the furniture. Even if I thought it was the ugliest stuff I'd ever seen in my life, it wouldn't be there when I moved in.

It's a beautiful house and it looks well cared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate