Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM

568 posts, read 962,145 times

Advertisements

When I found my house, I just loved it at first sight. The only problem was that it smelled like old people had lived there which they did. I had a company come in and clean the ac ducts and carpet. The smell was gone and I am a very happy home owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
The last time I was house hunting I walked into a place that had a very strong musky dog smell. I couldn't stand it, it was pretty bad. I didn't stay more than 15 minutes, maybe less.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM

698 posts, read 587,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Then you've never been in a home that makes your eyes water the smell is so strong.
LOL, during my search for a house I saw several with industrial strength food smells. After one showing, my wife and I stopped at a motel for a shower and to dispose of our clothes so we didn't bring the stink home.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
LOL, during my search for a house I saw several with industrial strength food smells. After one showing, my wife and I stopped at a motel for a shower and to dispose of our clothes so we didn't bring the stink home.
What, did you drive home naked?

Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times
I looked at a FSBO and it was obvious they did a lot of frying...then I saw the books on the kitchen shelf about cannibalism, the couple were from the south pacific or somewhere. I hurried on out of that house!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:21 PM

464 posts, read 804,198 times
We invested in a ScentWave system. It wasn't cheap but we believe it helped in setting the right "atmosphere" when we sold our previous homes.

It isn't cheap but we still have it and it sees daily use. We've had guests come into the house and comment on how nice the house smells; some using words like "comfy", "cozy", "calming", etc.

My brother-in-law is a realtor and we asked what he used in the model homes that smelled so fantastic.

It also helps as we cook a lot of French and Italian dishes (garlic, onion, shallot and fennel can linger all too long.)

Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,650 times
I can't stand any type artificial scent/fragrance/odors, not to mention that they are bad for your *health. All things being equal, a well ventilated clean home will have no issues with odor. I love, love my beeswax candles.

*Is Your Health Being Destroyed by Other People’s Toxic Fragrances?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:50 PM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
We are selling a 2nd home and it remains empty for weeks at a time so with poor ventilation during that time, sometimes the laundry room (the first point of entry) smells a little musty. Can't figure out what it is to neutralize so we plugged in a freshener at the risk of having TOO much artificial smell. We'll see how that works out.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I hate the smell and taste of onions so it would probably turn me off, TBH.

I am very sensitive to smells; my husband is not. If I think it's bad, it's a no. I have to say my dad used to smoke a lot and after he quit, the smell slowly dissipated over time. The smell definitely didn't stick around. And now everyone is SO sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke.
Going to disagree with you there. Cigarette smell lasts a long long time. It weakens but it's still there. I have furniture from a smoking house that still faintly smells over 3 years later.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
I never liked viewing an open house home where the realtor had a scented candle burning. I mean, obviously they are trying to cover up something "unpleasant".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate