Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,317 times

Advertisements

What matters is what makes you happy.....be it a house, condo, apartment, tent, whatever. Everyone is different. It's rude to crap on someone because they are not in a $10M mansion on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:37 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
A condo is better than a rental or coop.

But some condos are fancy, my aunt lives in one where it is a 55+ community and the average condo costs 1.2 million. Her neighbor has the 1.6 million model and that unit is super nice.

Heck yeah , my mom used to live in a 3.0 million penthouse apt on the 30th floor in Houston and included amongst her neighbors on the same floor was Frank Beard of ZZtop , it was a TRIP ! These things were extraordinarily lovely and you heard NOTHING . Total silence up there . Probably THE most private place I have ever been and we lived on ranches for years . I would go to HER place for peace and quiet .

Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've heard the same about the three bedroom, 1400 square foot house we bought three months ago. I guess because it's a small ranch with one bathroom, people assume we will move in five years or something.

Depending on my mood on a given day, sometimes I find the whole obsession with "starter houses" annoying, and other times insulting. Why couldn't people just be happy that we were able to buy a house that we love? I've never heard the term "starter house" spoken with positive connotations.
Yeah, me too.

Ours isn't a condo. It's 1300 square feet with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

It's gonna be paid off by the time I'm 30 and before my husband is 35.

I'm not gonna say for sure that we won't upgrade, but buying a huge, expensive house isn't my goal...and we (well, I, but we're married, so it's we, right?) make plenty of money.

Buying a huge, expensive house is NOT even close to a goal for us right now, though.

Because...why? Isn't 1300 square feet and 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms enough for one couple?

Old 07-18-2015, 12:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yeah, me too.

Ours isn't a condo. It's 1300 square feet with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

It's gonna be paid off by the time I'm 30 and before my husband is 35.

I'm not gonna say for sure that we won't upgrade, but buying a huge, expensive house isn't my goal...and we (well, I, but we're married, so it's we, right?) make plenty of money.

Buying a huge, expensive house is NOT even close to a goal for us right now, though.

Because...why? Isn't 1300 square feet and 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms enough for one couple?
It should be! I do wish we had a second bathroom, but housing is expensive here and we bought what we can afford on one salary. It's just us and our animals with occasional visitors. I love our house and I love that we still have money left over to save and also enjoy life a little.

Sure, we could have spent $30K more, but people here even consider that starter level, so I guess I just can't win. Lol

Old 07-18-2015, 02:03 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Because singles, newlyweds, couples with no kids, divorces and retirees mainly live in condos. My condo complex only around 5% of units have kids.
That's called "stereotyping." Life isn't one-dimensional.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:01 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
...He also has the music on when tending to his garden or working on projects...so he can once and for all SHUT THE UPPPPPPPPPPPP!
...I will also be relieved that I do not have to be out there getting heat stroke trying to get the grass in order before 11am when the temperature index is easily in the 100's...
You could kill 2 birds with one stone. Do your lawn before 6 AM when it's cooler, and get revenge on your neighbor's loud music, with the sound of the lawn mower when he wants to sleep later.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
I don't assume that. For me it was. And for others it's a way of downsizing. Still others, are happy with living in condos for all of their lives. It's a personal choice.

I think the OP is way to sensitive.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 PM

331 posts, read 381,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I don't assume that. For me it was. And for others it's a way of downsizing. Still others, are happy with living in condos for all of their lives. It's a personal choice.

I think the OP is way to sensitive.
Not at all. I've just heard this song and dance from so many people now that it's starting to grate on me. I'm fine with them asking whether I intend on living in the condo forever, but it bothers me when people assume that, just because I don't have a yard or as much space as one who owns a house, I MUST be planning to sell/upgrade in 2 or 3 years.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Old joke is Condos are for the newly married and the nearly dead.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,315,614 times
For the majority of younger people who buy condos they are a starter home, so people often assume that. That said I would never blurt it out("Hey this is a great starter home for you!"), because it could seem kind of insulting like you're insinuating it's lacking in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate