Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times

Advertisements

Here is a simple suggestion. Ask for this to be repaired by a licensed contractor. Let the seller shop around and get the best price. Here is an example from my recent home purchase. Inspector found that two light switches in the laundry and kitchen did not function properly. I could have fixed them but decided to ask the sellers to do it.....they agreed. The smoke detectors were over ten years old and there were no carbon monoxide detectors. Inspector suggested that new ones be installed to bring the house up to code per his words. I asked and the sellers agreed. Simple solution would be to just ask that they have it repaired. And I agree with the others....your RE is crazy to suggest asking for a grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newin the block View Post
I just moved to a house and the outside outlets for the backyard didn't work. I tested all till I found the garage one was broken. I changed it but the front outdoor worked but the outside still not working. it has only one set of cables coming but all the other outlets in the house work. any ideas? the other problem I has it is my disposal. it is not working so I took the switch off the wall to measure voltage. when the switch is off, it is reading 30 volts, when I flip the switch on the voltage is 90 volts. Next, I checked the breaker and I got the same result. off 30 volts, on 90 volts. I replaced the breaker thinking the breaker was bad. But after installing the new breaker, I got the same results as before.
Try taking this to the house section of the forum....then look under home improvements and remodeling

Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
Way high! I replaced a GFI outlet for something like $12.00 and it's a simple do it yourself project. Labeling an electric box- is that a code in Houston? Someone would just turn everything on and flip each switch to figure out what it controls and labels- just time consuming but to ask $1K for this is crazy.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
You all must have missed where the OP mentioned that the panel needed to be upgraded. We had to do this on our So. Cal house 1 month before we put it on the market. It cost us $2200 to do it and that was considered reasonable for our area.

Our house was built 27 years ago with a 125 amp panel, which was adequate for our house at that time. With the increased power usage of our newer appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, oven) which, when only 2 of those are coupled with frequent concurrent use of our air conditioner, would trip our panel frequently. Three electricians later, we discovered our panel had been slowly overheating and melting from regular overload for at least 8 years. Because of this diagnosis, it wasn't covered under our home warranty policy and it was too little to claim on our home owners insurance. We had to upgrade to a 200 amp panel and eat the full cost.

I would get multiple quotes and ask for the full value of the electrical panel only. I wouldn't ask for the GFCI outlets or the labeling. If you have the GFCI outlets and labeling done at the same time as the panel, they will cost you less.

The post is confusing if the panel schedule labeling is the upgrade or a separate literal panel upgrade and panel schedule labels and GFI. I dint see why the panel needs to be upgraded unless it's recalled or it's been installed not to code or overloaded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate