Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times

Advertisements

Found a house I'm interested in through a neighborhood open house yesterday. The selling agent wasn't there at the time. I'd like to make an offer - better to contact the agent and see if they will work as a dual or get my own agent? The selling agent is with a large national brokerage, maybe get an agent with the same brokerage?

We "squatting" in one of our rental condos while we are in between tenants and selling our primary home in another county. plan was to stay here (in the condo) - then once the house sells, find tenant for the condo and a new house for us.

However, the house I found is a "fixer-upper" in an area that might be slightly out of our comfort zone price wise normally and might be an great opportunity for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
Get your own agent, preferably from a different agency. There is no advantage for you to use the seller's agent and it can be detrimental. You want someone who has a responsibility to you, not divided loyalty.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
In the past, I have done both.
When I used the seller's agent, the deal went smoothly, the closing was faultless, and there were no problems.
When I had my own agent, the deal went smoothly, the closing was faultless, and there were no problems.
Ultimately, it is your choice. I have never seen any difference in my own "customer satisfaction".
Good luck.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:19 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
You don't have to pay an agent when you are the buyer. I would never buy without one. They work for you. The seller agent works for the seller.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
I agree w/ the majority, hire your own agent. As many have advised, make certain you can cancel the buyer agent without penalty.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:49 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Found a house I'm interested in through a neighborhood open house yesterday. The selling agent wasn't there at the time. I'd like to make an offer - better to contact the agent and see if they will work as a dual or get my own agent? The selling agent is with a large national brokerage, maybe get an agent with the same brokerage?

We "squatting" in one of our rental condos while we are in between tenants and selling our primary home in another county. plan was to stay here (in the condo) - then once the house sells, find tenant for the condo and a new house for us.

However, the house I found is a "fixer-upper" in an area that might be slightly out of our comfort zone price wise normally and might be an great opportunity for us.
GET YOUR OWN AGENT -- it doesn't matter if it's with the same brokerage, as long as the seller agent is working for YOU.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:37 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
get a buyers agent... well worth it imo

Old 07-27-2015, 06:48 AM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
I would just contact the seller's agent. According to law, they HAVE to give their clients whatever offer you want to give them. They also have to give whatever contingencies you want to add as well.
If they don't, you can just contact the real estate commission.

We have bought and sold over 9 homes and land. We have dealt with several realtors. The only one that sticks out in our minds that was truly outstanding and deserved their commission was a seller's agent we had contacted about a property we wanted. She did everything in her power to make sure the deal went through.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
GET YOUR OWN AGENT -- it doesn't matter if it's with the same brokerage, as long as the seller agent is working for YOU.
Yes it does. In some, maybe most, states a buyer's agent from the same office as the listing agent cannot act as a single agent/fiduciary for the buyer. Different brokerage is better.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:18 AM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Get your own agent, preferably from a different agency. There is no advantage for you to use the seller's agent and it can be detrimental. You want someone who has a responsibility to you, not divided loyalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

I'm really curious about these statements. A real estate agent, whether its a buyer or seller's agent, have to put in the offers that buyer's want to put in. What exactly does "someone looking out for you as a buyer" really mean?? Are there games that agents play so that somebody gets screwed? I'm not understanding the logic of getting another person involved in the whole transaction. The seller's usually are required to give a seller's disclosure. The buyer's usually do a home inspection. The buyer decides what they want fixed. The seller decides what they want to pay for to get fixed or to not at all fixing anything. What does having divided loyalty mean? Are the seller's agent going to pull a fast one on the buyer somehow?? It doesn't make any sense...agents are suppose to have ethics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate