Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times

Advertisements

We were 5 kids, 2 dogs and 2 adults in 938 sq. ft home built in 1945. NYC with no central AC or units.
with ONE bathroom

Cliffs Notes: you gon be aiight OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:54 PM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
We were 5 kids, 2 dogs and 2 adults in 938 sq. ft home built in 1945. NYC with no central AC or units.
with ONE bathroom

Cliffs Notes: you gon be aiight OP
I know, thanks.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times
800 sf for 2 humans and 3 small dogs is very livable but…you need to cut down on all the "stuff" which can make it seem much smaller.

I'm renovating a 616 sf 2 bedroom home in FL and it has nice space empty but add in too much furniture and it will seem very cramped. Yes we like to be outdoors in Florida but summer lasts almost 6 months and it's hot and humid so indoors and air-conditioning is a reality.

Outdoor spaces with shade and a breeze near the house (we call it the lanai) is very useful space.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
We (two parents, 3 elementary-aged children) lived in 900 square feet for a while. It was fine for our needs, although I prefer a bit bigger with that many people. I agree it's all about the floor plan and how the space is portioned out. It also depends on how much "stuff" you have.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I guess some of you know we are looking at a house with acres in FL...We need to go see it in person. I am in KY(no jokes please) The house is 800sq ft. There is just the two of us and 3 small dogs but I can have chickens, etc. Question, it that house too small for us? I know we would have to pare down a lot but I have no clue what 800sq feet looks like. Can anyone tell me how small it is by comparing it to something and does anyone live in 800sq ft or under? Thanks
That's a small home, not tiny. 800 is enough to have a living room, eat in kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms of comfortable sizes.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:29 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
We lived for 21 years in a 968 sq. ft. 1950's bungalow (we being spouse & myself & our daughter, who spent her entire childhood there)...we also had a lot of pets and many visitors. The house consisted of living room, kitchen/dining, 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths & interior laundry room. If you chopped off one of the secondary bedrooms and maybe the laundry room, the square footage would be about the same as the house you are describing. Our house worked well for us because we had plenty of outdoor space and actually did spend a lot of time outdoors...we lived in Southern California. I don't know if it would have worked as well if we had been in a colder climate with more time spent indoors. You'll be in a warm climate with plenty of outdoor space and just 2 of you, so I think you will be just fine...although I'd lose the gigantic refrigerator...it takes up way too much space...people in Europe don't have huge fridges, and live in small spaces and do fine.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:28 AM

676 posts, read 936,602 times
Isn't that a whopper !!!

Old 08-04-2015, 01:39 PM

192 posts, read 494,117 times
No rolling chair, just long arms. We did triple the cottages size after 15 years of living small. Our kids now grown love showing newcomers the original photos of the cottage.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That is about double the size of what's considered a tiny house, which are 100-400 sf. Our first house was 1,100, and plenty big enough for the two of us and then the first two kids, so we waited until the 3rd to upsize. 800 is not that much less, as long as you don't have a lot of stuff. If you have any outbuildings it will help a lot. For comparison, an intermodal shipping container 40 feet long that you see on the back of 18 wheelers or on trains are 8' wide, for 320sf, so that house would be the equivalent of 2-1/2 of them. You might also consider that a typical small (guest) bedroom is 10'x10', 100sf, so it's 8 times that size. The obvious comparison method though, is to consider what size your home is now, and imagine it with the difference removed.
I LIVED IN ONE OF THOSE.... for a year... well, a modified one...
I was in Iraq 2010/11 and that CHU's were those containers that were converted into housing.
CHU stands for Containerized Housing Units... They take them, put a window in each end - add an air conditioner in the middle - put a door in the middle - and you've got at least a two man/person housing unit... If you're REALLY lucky - (or an officer) you get one that is 'wet' - as it has running water with a toilet/sink/shower... us 'lower forms of life' get a 'dry CHU' meaning that middle of the night trips to the bathroom means getting dressed, and shoed - and finding the nearest latrine... or, a wide mouthed soda bottle as long as it's a #1... lol...

Oh, and when you come BACK from going? You're soaking wet because in Iraq, where I was - the temp didn't go BELOW 100 degrees F until about 0430 and then went back above 100 around 0515... so yeah... 45 minutes below a hundred... let alone dodging Camel Spiders and venomous snakes... Oh how I miss THAT place... NOT!!!!!

Speicher and JBB - aka Mortorittaville for those that might ask.

Last edited by TUMF; 08-11-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Where in Florida are you moving?
Remember, that Florida is the lightening capitol of the world... and, it's in hurricane territory...
Tornados are common too... and a storm shelter would be a VERY good idea... the problem is, most of the storm shelters are underground and, depending on where in Florida you move (I'm a true Floridian, by the way) there's not a lot of places that are high enough above sea level to build an in ground shelter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate