Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,034 times

Advertisements

If you carry a mortgage that is more than twice your annual income, you're gonna lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 04:50 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I admit I did not read all the responses, but I think you would be MUCH better off to find a HOME without the HOA fees that you could pay all your $$$$ available to as equity vs outrageous HOA fees.

I think the HOA fees are a MUCH bigger issue that then mortgage/cost of the home.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
3x your annual salary is the normal to get a home in high cost cities are used to paying a lot more towards housing, IF YOU MUST live there. He is looking at potential appreciation and tax-writeoffs than paying off a mortgage.
$2700 is $800 more than rent
you are also paying $800/month for pre-school. (that is a lot, we paid $400 in North OC near Los Alamitos)

You have to keep in mind that HOA payments can go way up if not careful due to litigation or natural disasters with an assessment to ALL homeowners. ( OC Neighborhood Moves | Connecting Buyers and Sellers ) We know California has lots of disasters such as floods, fires, earthquakes....

Instead of the paying an extra $800 going to townhouse and HOA, that $12,000/year could be saved for your kids college fund. $12,000 extra per year out the door. All interior repairs are at your costs.

Ther interest you'd deduct is only $17,000 per year at 4.25% on a 30-year fixed loan.

You never mentioned your current savings amount either.

If this was Shark Tank, The Apprentice or whatever other reality TV show I don't watch, you'd be give a "NO". OK, I do check out Shark Tank time to time.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
3x your annual salary is the normal to get a home in high cost cities are used to paying a lot more towards housing, IF YOU MUST live there. He is looking at potential appreciation and tax-writeoffs than paying off a mortgage.
$2700 is $800 more than rent
you are also paying $800/month for pre-school. (that is a lot, we paid $400 in North OC near Los Alamitos)
Which is why most Americans have very little savings towards retirement or rainy day fund. Just one job loss and a prolong job hunt will force most into foreclosure which the banks actually love in high value RE locations. It's a business for banks to take foreclosed properties in a normal economy and put it back on the market.

They love people like the OP who can't make mortgage payments after 3-6 months to go into foreclosure and they can easily sell the probably back or the OP is forced into short sales and the RE agencies making a killing too.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Which is why most Americans have very little savings towards retirement or rainy day fund. Just one job loss and a prolong job hunt will force most into foreclosure which the banks actually love in high value RE locations. It's a business for banks to take foreclosed properties in a normal economy and put it back on the market.

They love people like the OP who can't make mortgage payments after 3-6 months to go into foreclosure and they can easily sell the probably back or the OP is forced into short sales and the RE agencies making a killing too.
Well, it is tougher to get a conventional mortgage. No more 50%+ debt to income ratios unless you're doing an FHA loan. His would not qualify under FHA so his current DTI will need to pass underwriting analysis. I am not sure if the govt. is more worried about people being gauged with fees of if they truly qualify.

They don't enjoy that type of business as they are not experts in holding and marketing REOs but some are starting to limit how much a realtor can make on a short sale.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Right? I feel like the average person making <$80k live in hovel shacks on the coasts. Or they're driving 2 hours to live way in the landlocked areas for reasonable prices.
It's probably more that the average person has several hundred thousand dollars to put down in these markets. That isn't average for the US, but it is where the houses cost more. In some markets, sure, you'll find people buying $700K houses with FHA loans. But more often than not they're putting quite a bit down.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:03 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,881 times
I think that is too much home on your income. I wouldnt go over 3 times your gross. I sell homes and i dont believe in overbuying.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If you carry a mortgage that is more than twice your annual income, you're gonna lose it.
That might've been true when rates were 8-10%. Times have changed...

Old 08-07-2015, 11:19 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That might've been true when rates were 8-10%. Times have changed...
BINGO!

$10,000 gross per month x 28% = $2800 PITI

OP easily qualifies

Old 08-07-2015, 11:30 AM

41 posts, read 48,377 times
These days I wonder if it is better to just rent. No property taxes,
no mortgage, no maintenance. If you get tired of the property that
you are renting then just move when the lease is up.

A 500,000 mortgage is too much for you to carry, I recommend a much
more inexpensive property. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate