Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Blaming the Realtor is downright stupid. They are just having a case of buyers remorse and now finding everyone else to blame but themselves. The fools should've researched their market before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 PM

22 posts, read 39,729 times
I got the impression from the woman who has brought the lawsuit that she was pretty specific in her wants with respect to a house. The response from the agent indicated that the properties close by did not fit the criteria outlined. An individual would have to live under the sea to miss the reports of a downswing- and this lady did not strike me as a mermaid. While they won't win this (imo), there are certainly circumstances in which buyers were ill informed. A case like this one compromised the legitimate cases (those that may have difficulty with the language, terms, etc.). The agent is at fault in that he should have recognized that if it walks like a duck...clearly, this woman was difficult (at best).

Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Has anyone read anything more on this case? I checked google today but don't see anything new.

There was another post in the professionals section that I added info to as I've done a lot of reading about this case. Below are the facts I found out...

Most of you know I am not an agent.. I am a buyer & seller. This case has peaked my interest very much, so much that I've been keeping some tabs on it via google.

IMO, I think they think they overpaid and are trying to get compensation from the agent. Buyers remorse. Had they been the seller and gotten top dollar for the house, would they be sharing it with the agent? No. How would the seller feel if the agent sued them?

My parents bought & sold in this same market the Ummels did but in NJ. Unfortunately, they spent more on their new house (which close in July 2005) then they got for their old (closed in March 2006) as they sold after they bought the new & listed in October 2005. There was one particular person that held up the sale of the old house; would I have liked to take his butt to court? You bet. Had this guy not held up my parents house (we were naive) they very well could have gotten more as the market started dropping during this time.

I've come across some links that I'd like to share that puts more light on the story. One came from Active Rain, while the other I've supplied to a few blogs about this story at Active Rain..

Comps for the property in question - got this from someone else.

This is a link I found on my own which tells another story.. Couple, Feeling They've Been Wronged, Picket Re/Max

Now, in that article, some key points:
1. The house in question cost more than a million dollars. After selling their other home in San Rafael, they needed a $300,000 mortgage on the Carlsbad property.

2. Direct quote: In the heated real estate market that peaked near the end of 2005, real estate prices soared, and buyers often bid much higher than sellers had asked for. But they usually did so knowing what the comparable sales in the neighborhood had been. The Ummels say Little didn't provide the appraisal of the property until a week before they closed the sale. And when it did come, it matched the seller's asking price exactly, and was based on sales that actually had larger lot sizes and better amenities, Marti Ummel said.

3. They started working with him in May 2005, looked at houses for 2 weekends, looking at over 50 homes

4. On May 29, they made an offer on a four-bedroom, 3,697-sq-ft home in the Serenada neighborhood in Carlsbad. The seller, a real estate agent, had advertised a selling price of $1.175 million for the home. The Ummels made an offer at that price, owner/agent countered with a $1.2 million price. They agreed to pay that, even though they hadn't seen (at the time) an independent appraisal on the property.

5. Another point lists who they are settling with.. It lists the company name their agent was a mortgage broker with, and says it was him that made the loan, which is legal in that state from other things I've read. They were seeking $20,000 from those 2 co-defendants.

I've read that the Ummels have spent way more then $75,000 on legal fees, about twice that. According to the Zillow page for their home, they are paying taxes on the assessed value of $542,462, which has gone down since 2005 ($667,945)

From what I've read, had the agent shown them the other house (which may not have been available), I don't think his commission would be that much less, so it makes no sense. I also don't doubt that the Ummels told their agent.. we want such & such and don't want such & such.. so as an agent he finds houses to show them in their price range. I expect this of an agent, especially 2 years ago when there weren't many sites buyers could go to.

I'm pretty sure I saw the other house in question on a map and they would have driven by it. As a buyer in 2007, my hubby & I drove around communities we liked, looking for for sale signs. There were 3 times that I went out with my agent, stopped in front of a house that wasn't picked up in my search, my agent called. In each case there were reasons why the house did not come up.. a pool would be one of them as we do not want one.

I've also read (unofficially, no link) that some of the houses in question had value range pricing, which is pretty popular in CA, and from what I've read, during this particular market, very effective for getting the top price, which was what the market in 2005 was like from our experience.

If the agent did something wrong with also being the mortgage broker and not providing comps / appraisal (they only needed a $300,000 mortgage) then he should be fined.

All of the facts are not known for sure, but reading bits and pieces can give a decent idea of what is going on. I for one think that giving an attorney money, especially in a case like this could very well be a frivolous lawsuit. Although I have not watched the video clip from Good Morning America, from what I've read about it, it appears Mr Ummel isn't really involved in this.

edit - I fotgot to mention the other agent here, the one who's flier is being used. I feel bad for her because now she has to get an attorney. I'm not sure if her husband is representing her. She's quoted as saying “People are responsible for their own decisions,” said Ms. Hokkanen, who has been subpoenaed as a defense witness. It also says she is sympathetic to Mr. Little, which tells me there are things we do not know.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
The agent prevailed in a unanimous decision by the jury.

Good quote here, “The Ummels want to own the most desirable house and pay for the least desirable house and have Mr. Little make up the difference,”.

I know this thread is old but came across it and saw there was never an outcome posted

Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The agent prevailed in a unanimous decision by the jury.

Good quote here, “The Ummels want to own the most desirable house and pay for the least desirable house and have Mr. Little make up the difference,”.

I know this thread is old but came across it and saw there was never an outcome posted
I wondered how it worked out. THanks.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
LOCAL NEWSPAPER ARTICLE AT THE TIME

Friday, April 11, 2008 | A jury sided Thursday with Carlsbad real estate broker Mike Little in a closely watched lawsuit that pitted a local couple against the agent that helped them buy a home. The couple, Vern and Marty Ummel, claimed that Little neglected to mention recent sales in their neighborhood, leading them to overpay by about $150,000 for their home in July 2005.

The case attracted national attention as it posed a hot question: What are the responsibilities of a real estate agent? The real estate camp was concerned that if the plaintiffs won Thursday, it would catalyze and focus a growing urge around the country to find someone to blame — and to hold financially responsible — when houses aren’t worth as much as their buyers once paid. Those who sided with the Ummels worried their case would be chalked up to rich people problems, a matter of a measly $150,000 in the scope of a million-dollar tract home near a golf course in North County.

With an enthusiastic and unanimous response, the jury found that Little had executed a reasonable standard of care when he showed his clients, Vern and Marty Ummel, more than 80 homes in a house hunt that began in May 2005, ultimately leaving them to their decision to pay $1.2 million for their house two months later.

In arguments delivered Thursday morning to conclude the jury trial that began last week, attorney David Bright said his client, Little, was being unfairly blamed for the Ummels’ house dropping in value.

“The Ummels want to own the most desirable house and pay for the least desirable house and have Mr. Little make up the difference,” he told the jury.

At a time when housing market trouble has rocked the global economy, the individual roles of people involved in the basic housing transaction have come under fire. A soaring market this decade hid a multitude of mistakes, a plethora of cut corners and fudged appraisals, because buyers could sell for a profit, nearly no matter what.

But now that the value of housing has come unhitched from what once propelled it upward by double-digit percentages year after year, a spotlight has become trained on the topic of ethics in real estate. Scores of fraud cases, underpinned by inflated appraisals and collusion between buyers’ and sellers’ agents, have landed in national headlines and aggravated bank losses in a major nationwide housing slump.

And arguments in this two-week trial attempted to answer some of those questions: What right did the Ummels have to expect Little to know and tell them about all of the other nearby homes? What duty do buyers have to do their own research, to challenge what their agents and appraisers and mortgage brokers tell them?

At least in this specific case, the Realtor was found to have exercised sufficient care in helping the Ummels find their house, including helping them negotiate other offers they made on houses before they settled on this one. That made an important part of the case Vern Ummel’s admission on the stand that after looking at so many homes, he had a good sense of value in the neighborhood.

As for the buyers’ responsibilities, juror after juror gushed praise for Little and heaped criticism on the Ummels’ failure to research the comparable sales themselves.

Bright argued the trial had illuminated the hard work that responsible real estate professionals, those that have been in the industry for a while, do for their clients.

“I think Realtors are scapegoats for a declining market,” Bright said after the verdict was reached Thursday afternoon. “There are always people out there who will blame someone for something that is beyond their control.”

But Marty Ummel, “devastated” by the conclusion of the case, said the jury’s decision enables real estate agents to skimp on information they provide to their clients.

“I think it sends a bad message to people about the real estate industry,” she said. “Evidently there is not the relationship of trust that I would’ve expected.”

The verdict marked an end of a battle that began soon after the Ummels bought a house on Amante Court in Carlsbad for $1.2 million in late July 2005. They were still unpacking when Marty found on their doorstep one day a flyer from another real estate agent, touting a recent sale of a similar-sized home down the street from the Ummels’. What caught Marty’s eye: that house sold six weeks earlier for $105,000 less than they’d paid.

When they received a paper copy of their appraisal after they bought their house, the Ummels noticed the comparable sales in the neighborhood had not just lower prices, but, in their view, better amenities and larger lot sizes. A few months later, they saw another flier for a house down the street that sold for $175,000 less.

The Ummels contended their agent had misrepresented a reasonable value to pay for their house and had breached his fiduciary duty to them, acting to protect his commission instead of their best interest. They filed suits in July 2006 to that effect against their agent, Mike Little, and Re/Max Associates, the parent franchise of 14 affiliated offices in San Diego County.

The Ummels picketed, carrying signs that exclaimed “Caution, Beware: All Re/Max offices are independently owned,” and “It’s our money; we want justice” to Re/Max offices around the county and even to the Greenwood Hills, Colo., national headquarters of Re/Max.

The original lawsuit named the appraiser and the mortgage broker, who each settled with the Ummels for $10,000.

And though the case was decided in his favor Thursday, the impact of the picketing and the media attention over the last 18 months was significant for Little, Bright said.

“It’s been extremely hard,” Bright said. “Now, when he looks at a client, he’s got to wonder, what’s going to happen? Are these people going to second-guess me?”

Marty Ummel said her efforts weren’t in vain. The jury spoke and the Ummels lost, but she said she was proud of herself for “doing what I thought was right.”

“The fact that there’s dialogue on what Realtors need to do, the fact that it looks like the Realtors don’t need to do as much,” she named as aspects she was happy the case brought to the public consciousness.

And Todd Lackner, a real estate appraiser not associated with the case, said the Ummels had “lost the battle but won the war” when it came to raising questions and delivering a hit to the reputation of real estate agents.

“I think it’s scaring Realtors more than anything else,” he said. “[Little] won the court case, but there’s a lot of other Realtors out there that are very concerned. Not just in San Diego. It’s got to be nationwide.

“I think people are a little bit more skeptical, more concerned, and rightly so,” he said. “If you don’t think this is the right value, don’t do it.”
Please contact Kelly Bennett directly with your thoughts, ideas, personal stories or tips. Or send a letter to the editor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate