Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times

Advertisements

Any house around here built after the 1980ies is tied to an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The biggest problem with HOA's is their form of government. People in general have a severe shortage of common sense, and that makes them blind to that one big flaw of HOA's. If people weren't blind, they would fix that problem. But they think it has to be that way. That the HOA's have to be run by a board of directors. And that the board of directors has to be elected volunteers. Busybody amateur politicians, who get their power from other people's apathy. The only people who like that arrangement are the board itself. But people are blind to the fact that it happens because they let it happen, because they're copying the way other HOA's do it, because they don't have the common sense to find a better way.
Having served for 4 years on our HOA Board, this couldn't be farther from the truth. For the most part, being on an HOA Board is a thankless and irksome task. Board members, when elected by the community, have 2 responsibilities to uphold. 1 - They are charged with finding contractors to do maintenance (like lawn serves) and repairs (like painting and roofing) for the community at large. This can be simple or, in the case of HOAs whose CC&Rs provide for lots of services, fairly complicated. 2 - They are charged with enforcing the CC&Rs as written consistently and fairly. If they fail in either of these duties, they can and should be immediately removed from the Board.

And no, Board members do not play HOA policeman because they are on a power trip. It's your neighbors that do that. In my experience, 95% of the owners want the rules enforced and either send an email to the management company about violations or report them to a Board member who is then required to pass it on. Then there's the 5% who, despite agreeing to the rules when they purchased their townhouse, feel the rules don't apply to them. Just to other people who do something they don't like who they then want punished as swiftly as possible.

If you choose to buy in an HOA neighborhood, just follow the damn rules you agreed to. That'd make being a Board member a much more pleasant experience.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:34 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
HOA's help maintain property values. Since your house is usually the single-largest asset most people own, it's a pretty good idea to protect its value. A GOOD HOA can actually increase the chance of increasing your property value.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
HOA's help maintain property values. Since your house is usually the single-largest asset most people own, it's a pretty good idea to protect its value. A GOOD HOA can actually increase the chance of increasing your property value.
You'd find it interesting, I think (maybe not) how that tide is shifting, and how many home buyers specify in their list of requirements, "NOT in an HOA". So, in that way, HOA's (the bad ones that get all the press) are LOWERING property values - many people, people who want to live in nice neighborhoods, view them as a deal breaker these days.

For those of you who say, "Don't like an HOA? Don't buy in one," having read many of these threads, I have a question for you. Every time someone starts a thread about problems with HOA's, a thread clearly titled as being about NOT liking HOAs, you always turn up. Why is that? If you don't like a thread about not liking HOAs, don't go in one, in other words.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You'd find it interesting, I think (maybe not) how that tide is shifting, and how many home buyers specify in their list of requirements, "NOT in an HOA". So, in that way, HOA's (the bad ones that get all the press) are LOWERING property values - many people, people who want to live in nice neighborhoods, view them as a deal breaker these days.

For those of you who say, "Don't like an HOA? Don't buy in one," having read many of these threads, I have a question for you. Every time someone starts a thread about problems with HOA's, a thread clearly titled as being about NOT liking HOAs, you always turn up. Why is that? If you don't like a thread about not liking HOAs, don't go in one, in other words.
So sorry. I didn't realize that one had to agree with the premise of a thread to comment on it. I clearly missed that part in the TOS for City Data. Do you think if someone started an "I love HOAs" thread none of the perpetual HOA bashers would comment? IMO balance in a thread, as in life, is a good thing.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Gotta love those HOAs that tell you what you can and cannot have . What bushes you can plant , what size dog you can have and if that dog barks too much you can be fined LOL ...what a hoot some of these HOAs are . As my grandma used to say " I pay the da*n taxes on it , I'll be da*ned if someone is going to tell me what I can and cannot have . Hoas ? No thank you . If I want to live like that I will keep renting cause I hate renting and I refuse to live with someone else telling me what I can and cant have on my own place . How many of the rest of you hate HOAs as well ?
It all depends upon how well the HOA runs.
I just sold a house in Tampa, FL and it has an HOA. The dues were a skyrocketing $15.00 a year when we bought in '08... They're now $75.00 a year... Those dues pays for all landscaping on common grounds (entrances). There is no community pool or tennis - which was fine with me as that house has its own pool and I don't play tennis...

When we bought the house, it had a wooden fence in the backyard and a 'birdcage' around the pool. A storage shed was outside of the fence. The new rules were put in that said that all storage sheds must be in the back yard and must be within a fence. Since ours was there before the new rules went into effect, we were grandfathered, and it could stay, without modification.

Prior to selling, I noticed that the shed was in need of repair. There were some pretty large dents in the shed making it look rather junky. Some of the supports to the slab were broken and we decided to remove it, leaving only the 10x10 slab of concrete. One of my precious (I use the term with a smirk) neighbors called the HOA complaining that this shed was an eye sore and needed to be removed. The HOA notified me - I explained that I was in the process of removing it and it would be taken care of soon. This 'neighbor' continued to call the HOA every other day complaining of my shed. Even when the president of the HOA told her (yes - I know who she is!...lol) I was in process of taking care of it, her calls continued.

Once the shed was removed, this (rhymes with witch) called again to say that I needed to remove the slab.... I - politely as I could - let the HOA know that if I had to remove the slab, I'd be placing it through the 20x8 plate glass window of my 'neighbor'... The HOA said there were no rules about slabs - so the house was sold with the slab empty on the side of the yard.

In this example, I don't blame or fault the HOA - it was a neighbor who was a PITA... not the HOA.
They can do some good - if they work well with the residences - as long as nobody gets a 'LOOK AT ME I'M IN POWER' attitude, they can be a plus...

We now live out of state and have purchased a home that is NOT in an HOA and everybody gets along great. It's a much smaller community than the one in Tampa, and so far, nobody's complained about my shed... it's in the back yard, and the fence isn't up yet... lol

Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
So sorry. I didn't realize that one had to agree with the premise of a thread to comment on it. I clearly missed that part in the TOS for City Data. Do you think if someone started an "I love HOAs" thread none of the perpetual HOA bashers would comment? IMO balance in a thread, as in life, is a good thing.
Nope, anyone can post anywhere they want, that wasn't my point.

I just thought it was interesting from a psychological perspective, thinking if someone doesn't like HOA's they should just avoid them, yet at the same time not liking threads opposing HOA's but always showing up to comment that if you don't like something you should just avoid it.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:09 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I'll buy a home in a HOA with "reasonable" rules (and even some unreasonable rules) if it does a good job in helping to maintain order in the community. I'm all with the "I own and should be able to do what I want with my house," but I feel that this argument has its limits, especially in areas that are known to have a certain character and appeal. In such areas, I don't think newcomers (or people who aren't so new) should be allowed to actively change the character of the area. Now, if you live in a rundown area (or just in an area that doesn't have a set, distinguished character), then do what you want to do.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Looked at a lovely house a few months back....the listing failed to mention it was in an HOA. During the walk through it became known. I ended the showing immediately. Potential buyer lost due to the existence of an HOA. In that situation the sellers property value plummeted to 0%!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Looked at a lovely house a few months back....the listing failed to mention it was in an HOA. During the walk through it became known. I ended the showing immediately. Potential buyer lost due to the existence of an HOA. In that situation the sellers property value plummeted to 0%!
While their possibility of selling to you went to 0%, their property value was not in the least effected. For all those who choose not to buy in HOA communities, there are an equal number of those who want to do so or do not care one way or the other.

My community has an HOA and I regularly have realtors knocking at my door wanting to know if I'm interested in selling my home. Properties listed sell for full price within days. I would think the absence or presence of an HOA being taken into consideration by a potential buyer is based on both the buyer's preference and the desirability of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate